Anybody using a COT 50 w/ a BF Fender?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EXP, Dec 19, 2005.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i dont know why but my original Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal sounds better on stage than my Eternity( i know blaspheme! lol)
    so im selling my etern, and looking at several od's. namely the Cot, Honey Bee, and a Karl fuzz. i thought the Woody sounded too bright and harsh through a Super Reverb, but never tried a cot 50 through one. is it unbearably bright? has anyone had success using the cot through a blackface fender?

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I like it a lot with a Banmaster head and sealed 2x12. I really only used that combination with a Les Paul.

3. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I've got a Fab 50 which is basically a Cot 50 with more gain. I've tried it with my 69' Vibrolux, 72' Deluxe (Blackfaced), and 66' Bassman. The pedal sounds pretty brite and harsh through the Vibrolux and Deluxe but sounds pretty good through the Bassman .I think the reason is that I'm running through a 2x12 closed back cab. I think it's pretty hard to keep the Fab or CoT from being too brite in an openback Fender type amp unless you really cut back on the treble and add alot of bass.Just my .02

P.S the Eternity did sound too bright with my open back Fenders.My smoothest sounding OD's with my open back combos is the Zen, Mosferatu and older Barber DD.

4. stratneck

stratneck Supporting Member

I own both pedals ET and Cot50 they sound great!! w' my Rivera:)
    But not so, w' my 64BF 4/10 SR
    Even my Marshall JCM900 sounds better IMO
    Pedals and amps and pu's not always a happy marriage

5. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

if it helps, im using a LP w/ Voodoo 59's through the super( '' bright '' switch on) stacked with a 2x12 cab

6. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

It might work for you, but something tell me there is something better out there for your application. For light drive duty, I keep hearing great things about the honey bee.

7. macula56

macula56 Silver Supporting Member

i play through a bassman with a partial open back 212 cab. i have a Fab 50 on my board that's always on. it really adds some personality to the frontend of the bassman. i also use the COT 50 sometimes but i prefer the bass response of the Fab 50. both sound great with my amp. and they sound great running into my OD pedals as well. i'm playing a strat by the way.

8. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

ive heard the HB sounds great through BF Fenders.that was another one i was considering, also a Mosferatu.

9. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

IMHO it's hard to beat an old Marshall Blues Breaker thru a BF Fender amp. That is a very under-rated pedal around these here parts...

I went thru MANY pedals looking for one to unseat my Blues Breaker into my '65 Deluxe Reverb and the ones I thought were better were the Honey Bee and Timmy. Ultimately the Timmy stayed the and rest left...

Timmy into a compressor into the DR is it for me!

10. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

it seems the Mosferatu is a good choice for a Les Paul.

11. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

I had a COT and currently have a FAB 50 (basically the same pedal with very subtle differences) - I play through a 1965 Super Reverb (not a reissue!). It sounds great! Yes, it is bright when everything is cranked to the max (Amp volume + guitar volume), but the beauty of the beast is that I hardly ever run my guitar volume up to "10" since buying the FAB 50. The web site says something along the lines of:

"A world of different subtle break up is available at the guitar volume knob.. It cleans up so fast at the guitar most people leave it on all the time and work the guitar volume for everything they need."

This is true - in spades. I have always ridden my volume knob on my guitar hard, but this pedal takes it to a new level. Understand, this is NOT an OD pedal in the traditions sense - yes, it does add some gain and volume, but its magic is in what it does to your tone. Absolute magic with my Strat and my P-90 equipped Les Paul. What this pedal actually does is very hard to describe - it just makes everything sound better. The guitars sound better, and running it before OD's, flangers, chorus, delay, compressors - or after wah's, vibes, phasers, they all sound better. If any pedal could be called a secret weapon, this is the one. I run the knob on the FAB 50 all the way down, and leave it there (and the pedal on) - it's all I need...

Bottom line - get the pedal

12. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

13. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

looking forward to trying out your FAB 50 next week.:AOK