Anybody using a Gate on live vocal mics?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by HoboMan, Dec 19, 2017.

1. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Doobie Bros do this. We asked the sound guy what are those little boxes on the mics, he said they are gated.

2. modulusman

modulusman Member

I got a screaming good deal on am OM7 around thanksgiving. Open box missing the clip for $115.00 from my local store.

HoboMan likes this.
  3. mixsit

mixsit Member

Mic level gates?
    I ask as the Dead (at one time at least?) used switch pads in the mats to 'engage only standing up near the mic.

Tonekat likes this.
  4. mixsit

mixsit Member

Score! :>)

5. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Their mics had little rectangular boxes on them, which worked well since they all play while singing and never grab the mics with their hands. Sound guy said they are inline noise gates that only open when they sing into the mic.

6. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

This is wrong: the XR18 have 3 different Expanders - 2:1, 3:1 and 4:1 found together with the Gate and the Ducker.

7. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

This is a technique that can work really well with pro performers and a good sound guy who knows what they're doing, but it can be dicey when you're mixing for amateurs who may not get on the mic consistently. It's shocking how many people know how to sing but haven't learned how to use a mic.

OctalSocket likes this.
  8. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

First step though should be to verify the singers mic technique. Make absolutely sure the singer keeps the mic in close, as in have him/her “eat the mic”. This will effectively maximize the volume difference between the vocals and the stage leakage. In most cases this will be enough to make the cymbal leakage tolerable, and is simple and free. That said, if you have a quiet singer and/or a singer who holds the mic far away then stage leakage can quickly become a problem. Personally with my PA and the bands I often work with I never need to gate anything, and we also usually run full drums mics including an overhead.

HoboMan likes this.