Anybody using a Magic Stomp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by This is the Edg, Feb 11, 2008.

1. This is the Edg

This is the Edg Member

I am finishing my pedal board (still deciding if I am going with a Modfactor or the new TC Nova Modulator pedal) and I have a space on my Trailer Trash board for a Magic Stomp. I have a love/hate relationship with it. On the plus side, it can do pitch detune, reverb, delay, compression, chorus, flange, and many other effects. On the negative side, the OD/Distortion/Fuzz are terrible, the levels are hard to adjust and the USB software sucks.

Here is my proposed signal path - Guitar-> EP-Pre (on order)->BS2->Landgraff M'OD->Lovepedal E->MXR Phase 90 Script->SCH-1->Magic Stomp->either a Modfactor or Nova Modulator->Timefactor. In my rack I have a 2290, M2000, a Triaxis and a Mesa 50/50 PA. I also have a SFTR as well, so I might use the pedal board with only the TR sometimes.

I don't have a compressor or decent pitch shifter (the M2000 pitch is not too good). Any thoughts on the MS? Is it a keeper or should I loose it and if so why?

Thanks,

This is the Edge

2. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

The MS fuzz is terrible..... blashphemy! I think the fuzz is superb, actually. The OD/Dist does suck though. I have a MS, and only find two uses for it. It isn't on my board, and hasn't been in a long time. The first use, and the reason I keep it, is it's superb acoustic preamp. I've not found many units that sound so good with an acoustic guitar. The other reason is the stuff you were considering getting it for. The drawback here is that the bypass tone is really bad. It puts this very noticeable digital edge on your sound even with the unit off. If you don't mind getting a TB loop to use it with, it might be a good choice for what you need.

D

3. English Jim

English Jim Member

Works Allan Holdsworth - can't be all bad.

4. reeced

reeced Member

I have 2 of them and they are definitely keepers for me. I use them in the FX loops on two amps. Whilst OD and Fuzz might best be handled elsewhere, the range of other effects is amazing. I don't know whether you've got a MKI or MKII (physically the only difference is the headphone socket), but you should upgrade to the latest firmware version which gives a lot more flexibility for editing. There are plenty of ready made patches and hints online, including the latest firmware and how to upgrade. There are three Yahoo groups - magicstomp, magicstomp_ub99, and the newest one magicstomppro. The latter is devoted to patches and has some great contributions from John Dale, who I believe also subscribes to this board

5. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

That be me that be....

Upgrade, download from our group, enjoy.

check out the last 20 vids in my youtube sig below to see if its worth keeping!!:drool

If not, me want first dibs!

6. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Actually, having looked again at your chain, if you want to use the MS as a drive device there are lots of things you can do.
    It's best to program your own drives, you have deeper editing than with any other device available.
    I'm working on a series of fuzz and drive clones at the moment. I'm comparing them to the originals via full range headphones to ensure they will react correctly in all situations.

In the yahoo group there are a bunch of chorus/reverb/flange and delay sounds based on 8 band multi tap delays. These sounds are a million times better than any of the presets, I've probably spent more time creating them than Yamaha did.
    You also have a large amount of amp sims that can also be fed into your amp to change the charachteristics of your amp. The Twin sound I've put in the group seems very popular according to the number of downloads.

I've used 8 band multi tap parallel and series delays, 6 band parallel + 2 band series delays etc to create flangers and reverbs that suffer zero signal loss and can be boosted to twice the unity gain level.
    There are also humbucker/single sims I've developed (check out the youtube celebrity delay sims - the last one is a Malmsteen reverb on a 335 with a single coil emulator!)

Hope this helps.
    John.

7. This is the Edg

This is the Edg Member

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I still have the original software (MS version I) so I need to upgrade and try some of the excellent patches created by Jaywalker.

I saw Allan Holdsworth this fall and was very impressed by the sounds he got out of it. His chorus and volume swell programs were outstanding (not to mention his playing).

The compressor is not half bad. I stacked the M'od with the compressor and that sounded pretty sweet. The delays were OK as well as the Reverb programs. I'm just trying to make it fit with my other pedals. Does anyone else feel it needs to be in a true bypass loops as well?

This is the Edge

8. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

9. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

HMMM. I just may need to pull mine back out and give all this work you've put in a try. The last thing I need is another pedal on my board, but I think I will need to try some stuff that has been tweaked and deep edited by someone that knows what they're doing.

D

10. pdouds

pdouds Member

i think it's a great multi-effector, but i use a mac, and Yammie hates macs. No editor, unless you use os9. gimme a break.

11. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I love mine. Use it for silly effects sometimes, but mainly as a Acoustic processor. I use my TF for chorus, reverb and delay.

12. HHB

HHB Member

are these still available?

13. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Only second hand. They have been going up a bit in price but still fairly available on EBAY.

14. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Does anyone have any direct experience with the new Zoom MS series compared to the Yamaga Magic Stomp?

15. Shane Sanders

Shane Sanders Supporting Member

I have a Magic Stomp and several of the latest Zoom offerings. What info were you lookin' for?

16. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Sound/tonal quality of the effects (reverb, delay, mods, etc.)...how do they compare, similar (being all digital)?

Thanks

17. Shane Sanders

Shane Sanders Supporting Member

They both are pro in terms of noise floor and general quality of algorithms, imo. The MS is more limited in variety but I think it's not too great a leap to say that for each effect that it offers (except the distortions and guitar models), it still holds up against the corresponding Zoom effect. It's a quality pedal for sure.

The Magic Stomp is one of those pedals that suffers from a poor interface design. It's a bit frustrating to use and I gave up on using a computer to control it. I use the standalone mode, and once you memorize the 4 letter parameter names, you can more or less get going with it. The manuals are available online if you don't get them from a seller.

The Zoom stuff is much nicer, obviously, in this regard. Hardly anything is confusing about it in terms of changing parameters.

I have been tempted to sell my MS several times and may still do so. I hold on to it because of the Fender clean amp model (which is also a multi-effect, so the one patch has a whole chain of goodness including reverb) has so much stinkin' headroom that it's still useful to me for noodling and recording when I want to focus solely on a clean Strat or Steinberger thing. It's like having the most pristine clean channel you can imagine when set up properly for use with studio monitors. The only other thing I have that competes with it for that is an Ethos (clean channel is divine). The cabinets in the Magic Stomp are pretty cool, too. There aren't a lot of them, but they aren't muddy or overly nasal like some things you'll find in Line6 gear.

Just an aside: A piezo pickup into a Magic Stomp is heavenly, imo. You have a lot of control over EQ in the Magic Stomp and the compressor is great as is the noise gate.

If I were advising someone on a purchase, I'd say go for the Zoom MS50G first because it is no slouch at all, has guitar models, and can be powered off of a DC Brick. It's the better bang for the buck at this point.

The Magic Stomp has its own giant power supply and has a wide footprint, probably double the Zoom. But it has three "preset" buttons at your disposal which is really nice and might make up for the space if it was displacing three mod pedals on your existing board.

Then, I'd get the Zoom MS70-CDR. Brilliant little pedal that fills a niche and has the same ease of use and size as the MS-50G.

Then, if you still want some extra flavors of bread-and-butter effects, the Magic Stomp is its own thing, just more limited. Worth having if you can get it for $100-150. I wouldn't pay more than that at this point.

Hope this helps! I guess the best thing I can say is that a Magic Stomp is still quite nice, but it's not going to change your life the way one of the larger Strymon pedals might. There's just not any one thing about it that screams "only a Magic Stomp can do this/that" ... it's a high quality, all-rounder that is getting long in the tooth with all the sick stuff coming out these past two or three years.

18. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I owned a Magic Stomp for a long time and now own the Zoom CDR and G3. I find the Zoom better in nearly every way: Tones, bypassed sound, price, availability, footswitch, durability

Don't get me wrong the Magic Stomp is a great little device and years ahead of its time. Many of the time based effects on the Magic Stomp are excellent, but the CDR's are every bit as good and go beyond, incorporating some newer tones. If you are looking for primarily time based effects, for $119 go with the Zoom CDR. If you want a drives or amps too - go G3 or MS50.

Biggest issue with the CDR is the tap tempo implementation. No external foot switch. Booo! But sounds excellent in the effects loop!