Anybody using a modeler into an EV ZLX-12p monitor?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Lawless33, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

I've been using different multi-effects units over the years, and recently have been using an Avid Eleven Rack into the Electro Voice ZLX-12p.

I ponied up the cash for the Atomic Amps Amplifire and was underwhelmed with how it sounded through the ZLX-12p.

I'd love to get an Atomic CLR, as videos posted sound good even through compressed sites like YouTube. But they're a little out of my price range at $999+.

Just wondering if the ZLX-12p is getting good sounds for others with modelers. Thanks, guys!

Wes

2. mojah

mojah Member

I have a few zlx's and don't like them for my guitar monitoring.11R or HD500. I use a jbl prx12. The zlx sounds scooped to me and the horn is annoying. They sound fine running program material.

3. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Thanks, mojah. I haven't had a lot of issues using my Eleven Rack with it, but I'm no "tone connoisseur" either. *I had to look that word up to spell it correctly!* :)

I may just have to sell some stuff and get a CLR. Seems like that's what most guys are loving with modelers.

4. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I have a couple of the 10" powered EV floor monitors.

I don't like them for guitar modeling as much as other stuff either. JBL has some floor stuff that sounds good for guitar modeling last I tried. I have a verve 8ma, no longer made, that I LOVE.

5. manray

manray Silver Supporting Member

In my opinion the ZLX-12P is a very good budget friendly powered speaker but does not have near the sound quality of the CLR. I have used both with the 11R, AxeFX and Kemper and the EV is now being used in my workout and swimming pool areas. It's like going from standard TV to hi-def.

6. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Such a big difference in price. I think I paid $400 for my EV and the CLR's are $999 to $1399. But you get what you pay for, I'm sure! :)

Thanks, fellas!

Wes

7. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

For the money and the weight I think it's great. I agree it's a bit more scooped than I'd like, but not impossibly scooped.

8. wcfields

wcfields Member

Yep. I've used them with both Kemper and Axe-Fx. Mine sound great.

9. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Thanks, guys! I really need to sit down with the AmpliFIRE's output options and start dialing more sounds in. Stock presets were not so great (as is the case with most modelers), and didn't have a ton of effects on them like most units.

Hoping to dial it in more because I was totally underwhelmed with it running into the ZLX-12p.

10. RomanMtz

RomanMtz Supporting Member

11. Lawless33

Lawless33 Member

Thanks! For now, I'm stuck with the ZLX-12p until I can pull some additional funds together. Ideally, it would be the Atomic CLR, but at $999+, it's going to be a little while...unfortunately.

Wes

12. wcfields

wcfields Member

Yeah, I highly doubt that.

13. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015