Anybody using a Zendrive with an EL84-powered amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tjs, Feb 18, 2006.

1. tjs

tjs Senior Member

I understand that the Zendrive was designed around 6L6-powered amps, but is anybody here using it with EL84s? How does it sound?

2. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

3. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I like Brad Paisley's tone with his Zendrive and Dr. Z El 84 amps. Check out his CD "Time Well Wasted" that combination is all over that album. Also, check out current issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine for specific songs and parts. Great player and great tone!
    Rick

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

im using my zen w/ my Z maz38 112 and after the initial tweaks to find my tone, i love it. very warm, round, and bouncy.

5. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Sounds great with my Classic 30.

6. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

My Kingsley D30 loves it too...

7. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

It sounds good with my Mesa F-30, although it's a little more difficult to get a Dumbl-ish sound out of it, probably due to higher gain and not ultra super cleans.

Still a keeper, I can get nice warm overdrive into some warm nasty as well.

Well I can always pickup a smaller Fender blackface for ultra cleans at some point. Hmmm....maybe I'll try that out at the music store next week just to hear the difference. If I do I'll keep you posted.

8. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Actually, that's almost the same amp I would be using the Zendrive through (I have a D32).

How would you compare the sound of the Zendrive through the D30 to the D30's own lead tones? Since the D30 (or at least my D32) already has a healthy amount of midrange and a semi-Dumblish OD sound, I was thinking that the Zendrive might either add too much mids or would sound too similar to the amp by itself to be useful. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, how do you typically use the Zendrive with the D30? Do you set the amp clean and get all your OD from the pedal, or do you use some power drive and/or preamp gain on the amp and use the Zendrive to push it?

Finally, is it the original or the Zendrive 2 that you're using?

Thanks.

9. straightblues

straightblues Member

I got my Zendrive last week. It sounds good through every amp in my collection. I have 11 amps right now. I have three EL 84 amps including a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia and an Ampeg Jet II and they both love the Zendrive. This pedal is the best overdrive I have heard in many many years.

10. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

Well, I set the amp on the edge of clean, as I do alot of rhythm work. I have the Zendrive first in the chain and I use it for leads and crunchy rhythm stuff. I like the fact that it sounds like the amp's OD, and I still have the Kingsley Boost pedal to use as a lead boost...I also have a Tim set clean at the end of the chain, and it's on most all the time.

Hope this helps.

11. s_wahrer

s_wahrer Member

By now most know that the Kingsley (EL84's) has a great tone all by itself and that with an ABY box you can switch channels to overdive and not need an O/D or pedal of any kind however.................

A Zendrive works great with a Kingsley and of course will sound very different depending on guitars/ pickups used but in response it's fabulous through the clean channel.