Anybody using Cycling 74's Pluggo for Guitar Mangling?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dorfmeister, Sep 17, 2008.

1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

2. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

It's a bunch of max/msp patches, which is a great thing. Max is my favorite environment for audio programming. It's also really amazing for guitar mangling.

3. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

What was the learning curve like for you with MAX/MSP?

4. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

It comes with a straightforward tutorial.

DO stay focused on the lessons

DONT be distracted or intimidated by other people's Max/MSP work.

DO play the hell around with each patch you create

5. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Just got MAX/MSP and I am doing an upcoming workshop hosted by Cycling74 in Minneapolis!

6. dotlikeimpact

Congrats! Max is hours and hours of fun. Once you go through the tutorials, find interesting patches (some of the example patches are great for this) and steal, steal, steal.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I would love it if they made a stompbox that could run Pluggo. That would work a lot better on a pedalboard than a laptop. :)

8. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

I took an entire college course on Max/MSP. I actually hated sitting down in front of a computer for 4 hours straight, but you can accomplish virtually anything with that program.

9. dotlikeimpact

+10000000
    Really. And you could upload your own patches...

10. Bryan T

I hope someone will jump on developing this. There are enough users of Max/MSP that it seems like a viable product. I know there are a few other options out there, but I doubt their user base isn't as big as Max. For example, Line 6 has their developer's kit, but the barrier to programming in that case is pretty big. Max is a bit more tractable.

Bryan

11. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

SM Pro's V-Machine line is interesting, assuming it doesn't go vaporware. Most online stores were selling preorders rather than actual units, last I checked:

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=105

The V-Pedal is expected to sell for more than $100. V-Machine for quite a bit less.

12. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Says it is only for Windows plug-ins. That makes it tougher for someone developing in Max/Msp for Mac, like me.

But it sure does look just right other than that.

13. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

It's weird, isn't it, that SM Pro says V-Machine will have Mac OSX control software but no Audio Unit support (yet).

14. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i reached out to the v-machine peeps
    some long time ago,
    2x,
    with no response whatsoever.....
    specifically,
    in regards to the v-pedal.

we'll see..... what we see..... laten-CY, eh?
    ha!

dt / spltrcl

15. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Is your avatar an Odd Nerdrum painting?

16. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

indeed, it is.
    dt / spltrcl

17. Bryan T

What do you think the way forward with computation-centric effects is going to be? Do you think we'll see a pedal-friendly implementation for these digital effects in some a user-tweakable platform (load your own, assign the controls you want, etc.)? It seems to me that the pieces are out there, but one of the bigger manufacturers needs to get behind it.

Bryan

18. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

A real virtuoso and someone whose work deals with big ideas.

I saw an exhibition of his work at the University of Iowa Museum of Art in 1995. I had really become attracted to his paintings through reproduction but was struck by what couldn't be seen in photos. There were areas built up in impasto an inch thick. Quite a range of touch, mark-making, and texture.

19. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Indeed. I think this is a better solution than conventional MIDI guitar for fretless players, if they're willing to have a laptop around. One problem with fretless guitar is that if you want to use the MIDI-pitchbend-off trick to play easily in-tune chords, it is easy to accidentally play flat notes, because specific spots on the neck are assigned MIDI Note Number values, and any note that is fingered above the MIDI Note Number spot triggers pitch bend. So, if you stop the low E string between where the 5th and 6th frets would have been on a fretted guitar, you'll get an A but if you are even the slightest flat of the 5th fret spot, you get an Ab!

If you are into music based on just intonation or some temperament other than the dominant 12-tone equal temperament, MIDI forces you to jump through some hoops to quantize your fretless fingerboard into, say 31-tone equal temperament, a 22-tone nonequal Indian scale, or Partch's 53-tone Just Intonation ratios. StringPort's system as described below sounds a lot more flexible.

Keith just posted some details on this promising (imho) device: