• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Anybody Want To Argue About What Year This ES335 Is?...

Sampler

Silver Supporting Member
That’s an interesting guitar with an unusual mix of transitional features, thanks for sharing it! My bet is that the pots are dated 1969 or 1970...congrats on scoring a cool old 335! And in walnut no less!

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
1970-1972

Not sure i can narrow it down further based on those shots. Can you read the pot codes?
Yeah, a first look hit me the same way. Is the headstock a bit small? I would’ve expected a bigger headstock with bigger corner points. ??

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
Real Beauty. A friend bought the almost exact guitar brand new in 1974. Same color except that his had metal bridge pieces for each string. So I'd say 69 - 73 or so. Played that guitar often and realized that Gibson was still making really great ES-335's right through the early 70's. Gibson got heavily into finishing Gibson ES -335's and SG's that color and that color was very popular at the time and I still really that color. It takes you back.

Oldskewl808

Yes I agree! Definitely a interesting example of a transitional orange label early volute. 69/70. In amazing condition too, and all original. I also am a fan of the walnut.

jay42

Is that the original trapeze? Knew a guy with a '71 and I don't recall the trapeze looking exactly like that. Narrow neck width too? Not 1 11/16 inch?

Oldskewl808

They ran out of the “union made” labels sometime in 1968 so for a little while before Norlin took over they used the old labels that look just like the ones used in 1958.

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
Real Beauty. A friend bought the almost exact guitar brand new in 1974. Same color except that his had metal bridge pieces for each string. So I'd say 69 - 73 or so. Played that guitar often and realized that Gibson was still making really great ES-335's right through the early 70's. Gibson got heavily into finishing Gibson ES -335's and SG's that color and that color was very popular at the time and I still really that color. It takes you back.
I can just see Chuck Berry with his 355 in that color guitar & year with his giant Bellbottoms doin his famous duck walk!! :drink

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
Once had a 68 Les Paul Standard and the case was of the same type with that yellowy orange interior and the Les Paul also had the nylon bridge pieces. Those were really great cases.

Trending Topics