• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Anybody Want To Argue About What Year This ES335 Is?...

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
1970. Label switched that year. Serial and other features put it at 70 -72, but no embossed pickup covers and the label say it's very early in 1970.
I've always thought the embossed covers were mid 71 through to early/mid 72 - on 335s they seem to correspond with the era where they were messing with the centerblock which was later than '70.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
I've always thought the embossed covers were mid 71 through to early/mid 72
Yeah, that's the time period I've seen them present. Rarely you'll have a guitar like the OP's or some 70s model that didn't change over the course of a few years and you can point to the embossed covers as a way to include/exclude a guitar for that period. It's a good shorthand for shopping. You could be walking around at a guitar show and instantly know within a couple years, the date for a Gibson, even across a room, just by seeing those covers.

AFAIK, there are no orange labels after 70.
I don't think 69 had a volute.
Early/mid 70.
So, there ya go...another guess that's worth what you paid for it.
Cool guitar.
Those T-Tops can be magic.
The ones in my '74 are delish.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
AFAIK, there are no orange labels after 70.
I don't think 69 had a volute.
Early/mid 70.
So, there ya go...another guess that's worth what you paid for it.
Cool guitar.
Those T-Tops can be magic.
The ones in my '74 are delish.
I think the volute was implemented some way into Dec '69, so you might find the odd '69 with a volute but they're in an extreme minority compared to '69s without them.

I agree on T Tops, they're a really good sounding pickup and they seem pretty consistent as well.

Trending Topics