anyone A/B an opal vs. a signature tr?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by saxophonist56, Feb 15, 2008.

1. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

the builder told me the opal was one of the best amps tr ever produced.
    since i'm not rich and don't have access to a tr dealer......

anyone ever actually a/b the opal with the new more expensive signature/kimmock whatever new zoot tr's?????

thanks in advance

the opal was a great amp in my opinion

2. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

I am a TR CRS v1 owner and another TGP/friend (reddgeetarzan) had a Opal and I had an opportunity to compare. The cleans of the CRS were better than the Opal. The drive channel on the Opal was more aggressive than my CRS. Actually I liked the OD voicing of the Opal over the CRS. If you want more info you can PM him. He has since sold the Opal and has moved on to a Carol Ann.

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I just sold my sig 2, and played an Opal at Ultrasound. I liked the sigs cleans, I liked the Opals Cleans even more. This was not a direct A/B, so keep that in mind.

4. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

I have redgeetarzans old Opal. I put some different tubes in it and set it up to my ears and I think I have the best of both worlds now. Great cleans and the Od is in a league of its own. There are a lot of sound clips out there to get a good idea of what they are capable of. I played another Opal that a local guy bought about a month ago and it didnt sound very good to my ears at all. I offered to set it up and tweak it out for him but he decided to get his money back. The amp was fine it was just set up to some one elses tastes. There are internal adjustments that can make a huge difference when dialed in correctly...Sorry to ramble on but this amp excites me.

5. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

so the overdrive was better on the sig 2? or opal?