Anyone able to ID this speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Redfish, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Redfish

Redfish Member

[​IMG]I just bought a 65 Princeton and it has a funky looking speaker in it. Anyone know what this is?

[​IMG]

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

If you google: speaker code 137, the answer from several sources as well as added info is CTS.

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Made in a year ending in "5"

4. Redfish

Redfish Member

Thanks guys. This puts me on the right trail. I found that these speakers were used in some Fender Supers and Gibson amps in 65 but I haven't found one in a Princeton. Anyone else know anything about these? Could it be original? All the 65 princetons I've seen had either a Jenson or Oxford. I'm replacing it with a Weber 10F150 anyway, I just want to know if I should bother storing it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I've never seen a 10" ceramic CTS in a '65 Princeton either and doubt it's original. The speaker wire looks changed also. Is it black and white? Plenty of Oxfords and Jensens. Late '63,'64 and some very early '65 Fenders had black back Oxfords with no Fender sticker. The CTS speakers used in the Super Reverbs were alnico.

6. Redfish

Redfish Member

Yeah the wire is not original so I'm sure it's a replacement speaker. Thanks guys.