Anyone Added Casters To Their NYC Pedalboards Board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RAILhead, Feb 13, 2012.

1. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

Hey all

I've been sporting the NYC Pedalboards Big Shot for several years, and I totally love it -- no plans to ever move to anything else. The only bugger is that she's a freakin heavy beast, and I may be toting her back and forth between home and church every week (I usually leave my board at church). This being the case, I'm thinking about rigging-up something to get casters onto the board, on the left bottom side/edge. Then I could just stand it up and get her on 2 wheels and go.

I've emailed Mike to see if he has any thoughts/experience in adding casters, but I thought I'd take a shot and ask here, as well.

I know I could just use a dolly, but that's just one more thing to tote around.

Again, I have no plans to move to a different board -- I'll be sticking with the Big Shot until it falls apart on me. :aok

Thanks for any insight!
    Maury

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I would get a cart with wheels that folds before I messed with putting castors on my NYC big shot pedalboard. What I eventually want to add to my pedal board is a mic stand adapter, so I can mount a mic stand pole right to it....

3. RAILhead

A cart is one more thing to deal with as mentioned in my OP.

4. td2243

td2243 Member

I put castors on an NYC Pedalboard years ago. It worked great.

5. RAILhead

Do you have pics or any other details you can share?

6. RAILhead

That may be better asked in its own thread, since we're not talking about the same thing.

7. sbruce

sbruce Member

sorry...deleted.

on your specific topic. I have a NYC and think it would work great to put them on the lid portion...they would just need to be large casters to get the right angle. I believe you can purchase retractable handles (like luggage) online.

8. stevethompson

stevethompson Silver Supporting Member

Oh yeah, I like this, does it exist already? I've got a Gator guitar stand/pedal board combo device, and I don't use the Gator power supply so there maybe room for a mic stand attachment.

I was thinking about getting a dolly as well, it would add another thing to move around, take up extra space, true, but also might be possible to carry a MB Nomad combo+effects board+whatever in one go...which can be handy when the gig is at the 18th hole 1/2 mile from parking.

9. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Just head to the hardware store with your pole from your mic stand and head to the plumbing section. They should have a piece that has 3 or 4 holes that will screw to your pedalboard and then you can thread in the mic stand pole.

As to the castors. I don't find my NYC pedalboard that heavy. I try to carry mine with both hands with it flat. It only feels a bit heavy if I use the handle. If castors were added would you put them on the lid or on the the edge? Curious to see what NYC pedalboards responds about the request....

10. RAILhead

My Big Shot is quite heavy (I'll be posting updated pics soon, and I'll drop one in here).

I would want the casters on the bottom edge, since that's the most solid area. I wouldn't necessarily want the lid to be taking all the weight on the latches and catches, even though they do when you pick up the whole shebang.

The bottom is only about 1 1/4" thick, and you'd need to screw the casters into that small area and have them really bite into the wood -- and I don't see that happening without putting on some itty bitty wheels that won't survive a push though a parking lot.

I could try finding casters that have a post that gets locked into a female receiver...

Still hoping to hear back from NYCP...

11. RAILhead

Mike just emailed back, and here's what he said:

"I have put casters on some boards before, although I have always done it in a makeshift kind of way and have yet to come up with a method that I am completely confident in.

With that said, I usually just get some small (1-1/2" I think) swivel casters from lowes or home depot and I screw them to one end of the pedalboard and I attach a handle to the other end. I use heavy-duty sheet metal screws (#10 or #12). I prefer to screw the casters to the pedalboard section of the case (so that you wheel the pedals in the upright position) and the handle to the lid section."

I have a smaller NYCP I'll try this on and see what happens.

12. SAMO

SAMO Supporting Member

Did you end up putting on casters?