Anyone avoid Sweetwater?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by GuitarArt1980, Jun 2, 2015.

1. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

I think Sweetwater is a fine company that cares about customer service, but I really don't need the follow-up phone calls to "see what I'm up to with my music". I get the premise of adding a personal touch, but don't get much out of taking shop with a stranger who's taken too many "fake-nice" pills.

I'm sure a lot of people appreciate this practice, but to me just feels too disingenuous. For this reason, I'll likely purchase elsewhere if I can. Strange, I know. Anyone else annoyed by Sweetwater customer service?

2. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

I found it (followup calls) annoying too, but I just asked them not to and they stopped. Otherwise they've been fine to deal with so they're still cool with me overall.

3. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

I feel exactly as you do though I think what they are calling customer service is really just another sales tactic and don't appreciate it.

AustinIsPresent, slowerhand and JL75 like this.
  4. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Easy fix: don't shop there. But you will if you can get the best "deal" from them. Because you're a slave to paying the absolute rock bottom for everything. Turns out, even that comes with a price.

Mookyshoots and Digits_Only like this.
  5. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

In the good ole days (pre-Sweetwater), you shopped on the internet to avoid interacting with people.

6. SixStringFiend

SixStringFiend Member

I've never used them, and it's precisely because of their reputation for follow-ups. I may be weird in this, but I prefer my gear purchases to remain as impersonal as possible.

7. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

It is a bit annoying but usually the rep just leaves a message once in a great while. I've bought a fair amount of gear there in the past and I'll more than likely continue to do so.

8. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

The creepy Ned Flanders calls are a bit of a putoff, but not enough to keep me from doing biz w/them.
    Ive been going with Zzounds and AMS because of their no interest payment plans not requiring formal line of credit w/them. Super GAS enablers! :rolleyes:

9. Heritage 80

Heritage 80 Member

My experience is that a polite "please don't call me" does the trick. I like them. Good prices and fast shipping.

Mosley and Tuco like this.
  10. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Crazy talk. How's a fella supposed to have a TGP hissy fit with that approach?

rockhound, Heritage 80 and bgmacaw like this.
  11. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Creepy follow-up calls aside, the fact that they call their desk jockeys "sales engineers" tells me enough about their culture to also make me avoid them. There are so many places online where you can buy gear with fast shipping, competitive prices, and no hassle that I just as soon avoid anyplace that comes across as hokey and weird.

12. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

They do call quite a bit, but have excellent customer service both before and after the sale. Because I had a helpful name from Sweetwater (Ed Needler), I suggested him to our church when they needed to purchase a new PA, so Ed got the sale. We had some in-depth questions on what equipment to purchase, and Ed gave some great well informed advice (I checked out all his technical claims and he was right). And all the equipment has been perfect for our needs, his help was spot-on.

Last night I was in a studio and the owner was telling me about his new UA rack preamp, he does all his business with Sweetwater and was very complimentary on how they listened to his needs and recommended a less expensive unit for a better fit. He is very happy with Sweetwater as well.

IMHO it would be different if many different sales people would call, but I had the same guy every time, and he was helpful in many ways and knew his gear, and never steered me wrong. So IMHO the calling was a good thing, I got the help I needed and they got many sales. We're all happy.

Frankly I can't think of another gear store, either internet or brick and mortar, that I would trust other than Sweetwater.

13. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Good company, my salesguy hasn't bugged me much. My initial call lasted a solid hour, though. I agree it is just customer service acting as a sales tactic, but it's easy enough to ask that they not call.

I get more annoyed by the fake greeters at retail stores. Telling me to have a nice day while staring at my bag as I walk out the door isn't a warm and fuzzy feeling.

14. mikebat

mikebat Member

When I get unsolicited emails from a company I never bought from, I just delete them. When it is a follow up email/phone call from a company I did buy something with, I keep it short.

At the end of the day, if Sweetwater care enough to want to sell to you a second time, I do not see it as a bad thing. If something goes wrong with your purchase, they will want to resolve it. It is in their interest. I can live with the fake/nice friendship. It beats the opposite by a mile.

Would a company that throws away your contact information be as willing to help you when you need it?

I am in this for me, if they want to sell more to me, I use it to my benefit should I need to.

RobT likes this.
  15. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

Yeah!

16. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

They have great service, I will continue to shop with them. As far as the follow ups, I know the # they call from and I decline the call just like I do with the the power co., Comcast etc.

17. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I don't avoid them for any particular reason. I bought from them in the past, but usually there's I just don't find any compelling reason to shop there.

18. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Exactly. How suspicious and fearful does a person have to be to answer a phone call from an unknown number?

19. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Just let the call go to voice mail.

20. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I deal with them a lot. My sales guy rarely calls unless there's a deal on something he thinks I might be into (sometimes he's spot on). Sometimes calls to confirm I received order and all is working out.

Often have great prices on demo items. Good prices. Good service. Great selection. Free shipping, usually next day. Gearfest is a really cool event. Can't really find fault with them.

Just ask them not to call.