Anyone been to Make'n music in Chicago?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by strings4v, Jan 28, 2015.

1. strings4v

strings4v Member

I am planning on going to Chicago to try some Suhrs... The closest dealers from where I live.
    I think Chicago Music Exchange carries Suhr amps but not many of their guitars. But I know for sure it's got an atmosphere that I can try many guitars without bothering employees since it's pretty big and people come and go to try guitars all the time.
    Make'n music has a ton of Suhr guitars along with other boutique stuff I dig.
    I am not sure how big the store is though.. Would I be able to spend a long time trying guitars and amps without getting a pressure?
    Cause don't you guys feel pressure to leave if you're not buying one when store is small and there is only you and store employees in the store lol
    Any experiences?

2. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Been to Make' n several times, smaller store with excellent sound rooms and absolutely no pressure. Totally different vibe than CME.

3. RedRockRoy

RedRockRoy Member

I like Make'n. Bought some quality gear there after spending a lot of time in the place trying stuff. Zero pressure. The store is a warehouse in an out of the way area with no foot traffic. Not a lot of people in the store.

CME is a nice store but very different. It is kinda like GC but better gear and sales people. Big storefront on a street with a lot of traffic and many people going in and out.

4. Charlie_Pace

Charlie_Pace Member

Make n has always been just ok to me. The staff always seems like they're busy on their computers, and I think their gear is mediocre. However, they are the only Suhr IL guys I can think of, and they have a parking lot.

I much prefer Rock n Roll Vintage or even more so, The Music Gallery in Highland Park.

5. Bruce Lychee

Bruce Lychee Member

I think Make'n Music is great. They usually have a nice variety of Suhrs and Fender CSs. They also usually have a few beautifully spec'ed Martins. You can see their inventory online. I found them a pleasure to work with and have made a couple of guitar purchases from them.

6. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

You'll be in good hands at Make'n.
    The days when they were one of the best stores in the world are gone, when Greg Bayles owned it, but it is still a fine shop.

Sometimes the staff is a little too distant, they really don't want the hard sell image.

Bought my first 'good' guitar from Make'n when they were in Homewood, IL.
    Greg and his employee Ron Berry gave a Stones obsessed kid a good deal on a '73 Telecaster Custom in 1982.
    Subsequently, they got virtually all of my business for the next 20 years.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Almost positive the Make'n location off Grand Avenue is closing down. It appears they are joining up with Gand music off of the Eden's expressway. Check it out, not sure all the details.

I always liked that store especially when the economy was good back in the 90's. They had a wall of Matchless amps back then, it was very impressive.

8. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Yes, this is their current location per their website:

780 W. Frontage Road
    Northfield, IL 60093

New Chicago location purported to be opening soon.

9. strings4v

strings4v Member

Yeah I saw that. From looking at google images, I can't tell how big the store is.. Do they have a separate "Testing room" or something?

10. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

They always have in the past. No idea about the current spot.

My experience with them has been similar to others'. They're cool about letting you try stuff for as long as you want, and they leave you alone to the point of being aloof.

11. strings4v

strings4v Member

That's good to hear. I'm browsing their website now. Large selections of guitars I like... I see no Suhr amps. I was kind of hoping to get my hands on Badgers or PTs

12. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

If they are now close to Highland Park, you can also try out the Music Gallery.
    I've bought alot of gear from Maken in the past, and always had a great time
    there. No hassles at all...
    Music Gallery is great too!

My .02,

S.
    j

13. Zandalf

Zandalf I don't remember Silver Supporting Member

I have purchased an Anderson Guitar & Bogner Amp from them by mail order, though I'm not sure if they're still carrying new Andersons. The current manager, Teddy, is a great guy and always takes time to talk at length about numerous aspects of instruments and the music biz. He recently told me that the new location is working out better than the former Chicago joint, with much more foot traffic. He also plays in a wild rock band!

14. eddie famine

eddie famine Member

Been there several times, money in hand , ready to buy, never bought a thing from them. Laid back is an understatement . Absolute disinterest . Maybe they get a lot of strokes and time wasters, but way too cool to spend any time , or conversation with me. Must do
    Well on line.

15. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

A.K.A. heaven to all the guys who purport to hate Guitar Center-type environments where the staff hovers over you and tries to sell you stuff.

16. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I've never been there (or to Chicago for that matter), but I bought a new Music Man guitar from them on-line a number of years ago. The transaction was as smooth as I could have hoped for, and the guitar was in pristine condition when I received it.

17. Wansel

Wansel Member

I've been to makenmusic.....the original location. The neighborhood is not an area I'd walk alone in at night, seriously. The store's entrance is in a back alley that smelled like urine when I visited. The shop entrance in the alley was a door with a security camera and you had to buzz the doorbell before they let you in... again a reflection on the neighborhood's safety. Once inside, it was a guitarist's paradise. Great guitars and amps, and they were really friendly.

Also....Chicago/Cook county has one of the, if not the highest sales tax rate in the country.

BTW...my wife lived in Chicago and said this neighborhood was safe compared to the projects on the south side.

18. tms13pin

tms13pin Supporting Member

I bought a guitar online from them once and had a very positive
    experience.

--Tom

19. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

They're not at that location (Hubbard Ave.) anymore.
    They moved up north...close to the Northfield area.

S.
    j

20. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Teddy's a great guy!