• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone besides me have a love hate with Fenders Modern C neck ?

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
Let me start off by saying I have sausage fingers . Been playing electrics for 15 years. I have had a 01, 04 , 08 and now a 13 AMerican Standard strat . I also have a AVRI 59 thinskin with a 9.5 " and have a CS 59 ri with a 9.5 . Both have decent size necks and are quite comfy. None of my AS strats seem to stick around too long. Love the tone,specs ,etc. but that neck always has me looking for something else.
Great for soloing and such , but playing bar chords always gives me cramps . I wish that a Fender would offer something else , or like Gibson does with the 50s and 60s necks. With a Fender if you like the AS strat you must like the a Modern C or GTFO. Anyone else feel the same?

Jaan

Silver Supporting Member
I bought one of the rosewood necked, channel bound Selects with the inlaid maple fingerboard. Love the sound, the feel of the raw wood; basically everything but the neck shape. If it were bigger, maybe slightly V shaped it'd be my #1; but it isn't......

tcdrover

I find them comfy and easy to play but I DO prefer a thicker neck.

I've got a 65 AVRI which I prefer and a custom shop '69 with a U neck which is my favorite.

Gilwater

I have a '62 hotrod strat. It has the biggest "C" neck I've ever played. It's pretty comfy for most things, but I find that I'm not as accurate or fast soloing with it. My favorite is the soft "V" neck. It's a little thicker at the nut, but flattens out nicely for soloing.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
I have thought about selling it, but I will keep it. In all other respects it's a great guitar, my other strats are better choice though neck wise.

kwicked

All hate for me. BUT, gotta love that you can get the neck of your choice and just slap it on any that you like (warmoth boatneck for me)

straycat113

The last two Fenders I have bought were 09 US Deluxes. I was in a friends shop and he had a beautiful Cherry Burst US deluxe Tele with a rosewood board (my personal preference) with nice Abalone inlays and a very chunkie neck! For the price he gave it to me me I couldn't refuse if I wanted to.It still is the only Tele I own which doesn't have an ashtray 3 barrel bridge (another personal preference and it plays and sounds awesome. About two months later while surfing Ebay I found a matching Cherry Burst US Deluxe Ash Strat that was NOS from 08 with the only difference being it had a maple fretboard from a small Mom and Pop store in SF that was going out of business and for $1,000 it was a no brainer lol. When the guitar came everything was exactly on par to the Tele except the neck was a lot thinner? I own a lot of Strats and Tele's but never saw that much of a disparity in the size of necks on the same model most likely built less then 9 months from each other. I like how the guitar play and there is no issue but when they list "Modern-C" it is just a heads up to know you can get two very different sized necks.

candid_x

Let me start off by saying I have sausage fingers . Been playing electrics for 15 years. I have had a 01, 04 , 08 and now a 13 AMerican Standard strat . I also have a AVRI 59 thinskin with a 9.5 " and have a CS 59 ri with a 9.5 . Both have decent size necks and are quite comfy. None of my AS strats seem to stick around too long. Love the tone,specs ,etc. but that neck always has me looking for something else.
Great for soloing and such , but playing bar chords always gives me cramps . I wish that a Fender would offer something else , or like Gibson does with the 50s and 60s necks. With a Fender if you like the AS strat you must like the a Modern C or GTFO. Anyone else feel the same?
Yup. But I've tolerated it and sometimes it doesn't feel so bad. Kind of depends on how lazy my hand feels, haha. Last time I advertised to buy a replacement I wound up buying the whole USACG before he parted it out. No regrets there, nor would there have been if I just bought the neck, which I may still do one of these days. One I had before this one was really pathetic; this one's not so bad. Enough people must like them though since they keep 'em coming.

dewey decibel

Anyone else feel the same?
Not really. The great about Fenders is you can swap out all the parts relatively easily; neck, pickups, bridge, etc. I have a MIM Standard Strat here that I just can't play- the neck specs just don't work for me. If I thought it was a killer guitar I'd just throw a vintage spec'd neck on it.

Chuck King

I love the modern C neck (whichever version of it is on my '00 MIM Standard Strat). My favorite Fender neck ever. Different strokes for different folks and whatever works for you is great. I just wanted to go on record that not everybody hates the C and only loves V or U shaped baseball bats.

althekiller

Gold Supporting Member
I like them. It's what I learned on so they feel like home to me. I've moved on to Gibson styles for the most part and because of the Fender modern C I prefer very thin Gibson necks when I can find them....They do get a bit uncomfortable for jazz chords with long stretches though...But are great for thumb over the top sloppy style playing and leads!

2HBStrat

I like them pretty well but they're not my favorites. I like necks a little meatier and more D instead of C shaped. I'm always searching for the meatier D shaped necks.....I'll buy a Fender just for the neck. As for the Fender company, they have probably done market research and, based on that, supplies what the majority of folks like.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Nope, just hate.

Well, hate is too strong a word for a guitar neck. How about dislike?

kenneth

I like them a lot. I used to play late 80's american standards, and these necks have significantly more shoulder, then the modern C shape. However, when I did get a strat with a modern C neck shape, it fit my hand an playing much better, after i got used to it.

73Fender

Used to not like them much although they do seem to have decent width..actually measured my 2010's Strat recently..1.71"

Lately I'm liking them better go figure.

I have played fenders with the modern c that I have enjoyed playing, but hated the neck. I have just resorted to putting Musikraft Fat C necks on my guitars. 10" radius, 6105s, 1" at nut and straight down the neck. Nothing else like it. I put a chunky c on a fender telecaster I have, .92" at nut 1" at 12th...just ain't the same. I need that Fat C to be truly comfy.
And FWIW...I used to rag on my dad's sausage fingers, and dang it, can't even pick my nose these days.

CowTipton

Gold Supporting Member
I have no idea what shape the neck is on my 2001 American Series, but I know I love it.

John550

The modern C neck didn't work out for me . The skin on my fat fingers would hang up on the fret board . To bad as there r a lot of nice guitars out there with them :(
I wound up getting early 60's oval c , and a soft v

Deed_Poll

For me, it's far worse than hate...

I don't feel one way or another about them. They are A4 paper, 4 cylinder engines, HB pencils. All these things you only notice when they're not there.

I like a guitar to have a bit of character, even if I kind of hate the neck. If it makes me play differently then that's cool to me, if it means I can't play with my thumb over then it gives me a different style to practice.

Silver linings, people! Variety is the spice of life.

If I can "get well" by playing fat or fatter necks for a few weeks, then I can play the Fender modern C neck for several days with no numbness, no issues.

But eventually it has to go back in the case.

Trending Topics