Anyone buy a Fender MIJ from Ishibashi?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Webfoot, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Looking for a strat.

Curious about how good was the guitar?

Did they ship to you?

2. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

I bought a 57 Reissue Precission Bass from them 3 years ago. It was flawless and a huge step up from MIM Fenders. I'd say it was very close to my MIA Tele and Strat.

3. fenderfreak

fenderfreak Member

they are good. but with the yen exchange rate rocketing, i don't think it's a good idea to buy from them at the moment...

4. dazco

dazco Member

I did, and it was built to perfection but sounded so bad it was unusable. Obviously i just had a bit of bad luck, but i'm gun shy of Ishibashi now. I doubt returning it would have been easy and probably cost prohibitive, so i just took a loss and sold it. I believe the wood was just way too green.

5. erplander

erplander Member

I got 62RI tele from their U-box last spring. Great guitar! They were easy to deal with, and the guitar arrived less than a week after I ordered it.

6. mwittoesch

mwittoesch Member

Ishibashi can no longer sell new CIJ Fenders out side of Japan.

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

My CIJ Tele is a better guitar than my old CS Nocaster.

8. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

My friend bought one a few years ago when the Yen and Dollar were decent. It was an AMAZING Strat. I begged him to sell it to me for years, and a few months ago he did!

54 RI with Fat 50s pups!

9. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Purchased a couple of them over the years and they were all flawless and quick transactions.

The only good thing about the Fender Japan/USA embargo is it saved my bank account.

10. erplander

erplander Member

That's why I bought mine from their U-box (their used gear site). It's a CIJ that was not intended for export.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/

11. MatthewK

MatthewK Member

I bought a used Jaguar from U-Box - dealt with Hiroaki Gohno. Excellent service, friendly guy, guitar was well packed and shipped immediately. Very happy with them.

12. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I'm very curious, if I found one that I wanted from the 'U-box', how hard is it to order the guitar?

Do I just e-mail with the page of the guitar listing?

Does he accept PP?
    and what are the shipping charges generally?

and, another question:
    I used this exchange-rate calculator: http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html#
    and it tells me that 35,219 yen is about $382.923 - I assume you round up on the pennies.
    How accurate is that?

13. MatthewK

MatthewK Member

14. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Email them, no paypal & shipping is about $125.00 but it arrives in a couple of days.

I use xe.com

15. teleman55

teleman55 Member

I got one (a left hand Tele 72 Custom RI-only place they make a lefty one of these) a few years ago when the exchange rate was good and they could sell them. It's a great guitar. Going through them was great too. Use email. Got it in a little over a week. Funny thing about this guitar. The guitar itself is somewhere between a MIA and a CS (no foolin). I mean the wood, frets and such. The electronics (from Japan, the famous electronics country) are more like an MIM. Go figure.

16. whitehall

whitehall Member

Sorry, this ship sailed quite awhile ago. It was fun while it lasted, I would pick up the phone and call Noriko and she would ship me what I wanted. The yen was at 120 then so it was always a nice discount. The guitars arrived perfectly set up via EMS in 4 days. When you tired of them you could put them on ebay and get all your money back. Sometimes even make a buck or two.... But then..........little by little more losers with no money from all the various forums started emailing them with their jackass questions. Soon, it took days to get response, then longer. Those of us that knew how to use a telephone had no problem. But Noriko would often remark about the overwhelming amount of emails they got that hardly ever ended in sales. Pretty soon it was no more new MIJ Fender to America. Now the yen is trading at about 90, this means you are paying about 30% more on everything, including shipping , then you were a year ago. What that means is that the guitars you couldn't afford then you really can't afford now.

17. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Hmm..... It is interesting see a finger pointed at "more losers with no money from all the various forums started emailing them with their jackass questions" ...........

............while at the same you are openly stating your personal experience "It was fun while it lasted, I would pick up the phone and call Noriko and she would ship me what I wanted. The yen was at 120 then so it was always a nice discount. The guitars arrived perfectly set up via EMS in 4 days. When you tired of them you could put them on ebay and get all your money back. Sometimes even make a buck or two...."

Perhaps a key point that may be overlooked here is that these MIJ guitars were made for the market in Japan, and not really meant to be bought by folks who just want to flip them on ebay for a few bucks.

:jo

18. whitehall

whitehall Member

Nope, there was never a restriction on Fender Japan. You can still buy "used" ones all day long from the ubox. You can still buy all manor of things overseas if you know where to look. The trick is to never allow the forum jackasses to know because they will ruin it.

19. jonny toetags

jonny toetags Member

The restriction comes from Fender itself and the north North American shops who complained.

20. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

Ishibashi is a great place to purchase gear, although, its been about 4 or 5 years since I bought anything. Noriko was my contact.

I imported a few Maxon pedals and one guitar - a Fender Thinline Tele with 3 pickups. Great guitar that unfortunately I had to sell in the end (after about 6 months) due to needing the finances.

At the time I could import into the UK one of these guitars for about £200 less than an off the shelf Mexican Thinline. Bear in mind that takes into account all shipping and customs charges - plus the guitars came fitted with American pickups as standard. The only downside was the absolutely crappy gigbag it came with.

I echo what the poster writes about above about being able to move it on by selling on eBay and not loosing any money. In fact, I think in the end I also made a few bucks on it come the close of the auction. It was NEVER about buying simply for profiteering. The attractiveness at the time of doing it this way is that you could actually sample the guitar with little worry of loosing lots of money in the process.

I ask you this: if your choice was between a MIM Tele or a MIJ Deluxe Tele for substantially less dough, which would you go for - knowing that you could get rid of the MIJ quite easily if you didn't like it, likely without loosing any money? No brainer really.

Regarding the transaction - yes, it was not as easy as Paypal or simply paying online, I think I was manually sent payment links to use. Not what you'd expect to be the safest way to do things but I never had any hassles with Ishibashi and my orders would always be with me in a few days.