Anyone buying Chinese Microphone clones?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Cary Chilton, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I am curious if anyone has bought any Chinese ribbon or condenser clones? How they are holding up to the real deals? Where did you buy them? etc

THanks for any information, I need to buy mics!!!

BTW for a cheap stereo mic for my mbox to record jams, is the tiny sony stereo mic ok? Is there anything else comparable for under 200 usd?

thanks

2. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I have a Studio Projects C1 that I bought for $200 US from Sweetwater. Best $200 piece of gear I've ever bought. Forget comparisons (although it does nail the U87) it *is* the real deal. A great mic in its own right. Used it for the vocals, acoustic guitars, percussion, and as a room mic for the electrics on my CD. (www.alchemyrecords.com/kd.html)

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I have a Nady ribbon. I removed the steel plate, steel mesh and one of the cloth liners and it sounds great. I haven't compared it to a RCA ribbon and don't plan on it. Sure, it sounds great but it's still a $150 mic. I don't expect to load my locker full of Chinese mics. The ribbon is more of a novelty mic so it doesn't make much sense to spend much on one.

I've gotten some decent sounds from my MXL 603 mics but recent upgrades have me hearing them in a different light and not digging what I hear.

As for a stereo mic for quick and dirty jams, I had a cheap Sony and hated it. I now use an Audix stereo condenser that sounds wonderful. For $200, you could get a used A/T 822.

4. retro

retro Member

For inexpensive gear info I find Harvey Gerst's forum at PSW to be informative. You may want to check out some of the posts there also. I think you will find it a good site for cheap mic info in one place. With some good first hand experience on QC and stuff.

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/f/32/0

Also the Russian Oktava MK012's are also worth a look for inexpensive mic's. But there are quite few nice options available these days it seems.
    KEL's HM-1, MXL, AT2020, Studio Projects, etc., etc..

I am going to try the KEL, as I have heard good things about it. It's a $99 condenser with a 21 day full refund trial. Hard to go wrong.

http://www.kelaudio.com/hm1.html

MXL604 looks interesting to me as does the Oktava MK012's

http://www.mxlmics.com/condencer_mic/condencer_index.html

http://www.mojopie.com/mk012.html

It's pretty easy, I think, to buy a budget pair of decent mic's for stereo applications under or around $200.00 these days.

5. OOG

OOG Member

Studio Projects C1 and Harvey Gerst
    excellent recomendations
    i'll add a pair of Rode NT5's to the mix

6. elambo

elambo Member

Studio Projects makes VERY impressive mics for the money. They don't sound like $2000 mics, but for 1/10th of the cost they're a no-brainer. I have a C3 that I prefer to all other mics at this general price point.

7. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I finally got around to using a C1 recording some vocal parts on a friend's session, and was pretty impressed. An 87 it wasn't, however (and how could it be, chinese capsule or no, at that pricepoint?).

8. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

this is a good one. get the shock mount with it.

9. Greggy

Greggy Member

I ordered a Studio Projects C3 Monday and it should arrive next week. Like the flexibility of 3 polar patterns and the price is low, so not much risk. I suspect it won't stand up to my KM184 on acoustic guitars, but I intend to use it for numerous other purposes. I'll let you know how it goes.

10. elambo

elambo Member

For strumming, no, it probably won't stand up to your KM184, but it would make a good run at the Neumann for fingerpicking and lead stuff.

11. straticus

straticus Member

I just got a free MXL 992 with my FirePod purchase. I was thinking about just selling it. I haven't used it yet but this thread has me thinking about giving it a try.

I Googled it but couldn't find any info on it.