Anyone carry a lunchbox?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chandyland, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Lately I've been looking into 500 series modular rack units as a sort of more modern alternative to the vintage rack gear of legend. Obviously, lunchboxes as they are now aren't really meant to be used in guitar rigs necessarily, but I'd still love to see how people are using them.

So show us your lunchboxes!

manasquanto likes this.
  2. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

There really aren't any upsides to using 500 series units for live guitar processing, unless we're talking actual recording. 500 series units are more expensive, (usually) not plug and play compatible with normal guitar gear (amps/fx pedals), and they're not really designed for hands free (foot switchable) use. They're also not really built to be bumped/tossed around like most pedals are.

3. manasquanto

manasquanto Member

I'm also curious to see if anyone uses these in conjunction with a switcher like an ES-8. Or if anyone wants to divulge their ultimate studio sound, goosing the front end of their amp with awesome eq's and compressors.

Edit: What about this type of rack gear makes it different when it's interacting with an amp? I'm not familiar with this stuff, just curious.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Chandyland likes this.
  4. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

not for years, but here was one: (sorry, had to, it's TGP)
    [​IMG]

5. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

^^^ LOVE your lunchbox! ^^^

6. natethegreat12

natethegreat12 Member

BUMP...
    Good topic. I'm interested in this also.
    I've seen guys online with loaded lunchboxes next to their pedal board and laptop running a DAW.
    Are there some tasty tones to be had by recording and possibly playing live witha lunchbox loaded with: ie compressor, eq, filter, etc?

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I knew a gal in Hollyweird who carried one of these around, always:

[​IMG]

It was loaded up with drugs mostly.

Chandyland likes this.
  8. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

I totally agree on all fronts as things are right now. I just see a lot of potential with the format, or at least something similar.

There was a time when 19" rack mount gear was only used for recording, but at some point you saw every (or a lot of) touring guitarist(s) having a refrigerator full of it. I think something like the 500 series could turn into the modern version of the huge racks but with more portability in mind.

Cgkindler likes this.
  9. Jay Bones

Jay Bones Member

:eek: Shocking! Was she a punk rock chick, with a bunch of speed in it? :eek:

I still have the original Star Wars lunchbox I carried in first grade in 1978. Its pretty beat up and rusty, had a big dent in the side of it where I knocked out a held back fourth grader that used to beat me up on the school bus everyday after school. We had assigned seats on the bus, and the bus driver didn't like me from my older brother, so she made me sit inn the back of the bus where the older burn out kids sat.

They'd be back there smoking cigarettes (even at 4th grade) and looking at nudie books they'd taken from their dads, and dishing out wedgies, indian burns, titty twisters, noogies and full on holding me down and punching me in the face.

As always I was on the bus first, and Scott Webb who was easily 12 or 13 and still in 4th grade got on, right before the bus left. I stood up and said "I don't want any more trouble from you a$$h0le$!" They all laughed, and he said "Yeah? Well what are you gonna do about it?" Kept walking forward and glanced back at his buddies behind him.

I swung that lunch box and hit him in the side of the head as hard as I could. Hit him right in the temple and literally knocked him out. His buddies behind him all stopped and were trying to get him into his seat, and the bus driver heard the impact looked up and said "You guys in the back get in your assigned seats!! THIS BUS WON'T MOVE UNTIL EVERYONE LAST ONE OF YOU IS SITTING DOWN!!!!"

Never had a problem with any of them after that.

And the lunchbox is the better of the two models out at the time. It has the decorated side panels, and it wasn't until the digital rerelease of the movie that I understood why a storm trooper was riding a lizard on Tattooine. Apparently that scene hadn't made the final print of the original release.

Of course if it was in mint condition it would be worth a few brand new Fender American Standard Stratocasters/Telecasters/J basses/P basses or a Gibson Les Paul deluxe or SG Derek Trucks edition. Several thousand, but in the condition mine is in its worth maybe $20-30.

I actually used it when I had my first real job out of college. Everyone else had these Tupperware or Rubbermade carriers, and had to label what was theirs in the break room fridge. I just stuck my vintage Star Wars lunchbox in there, and everyone knew it was mine.

When I found it in the attic, the thermos still smelled like grape juice when I opened it.

Chandyland, iowa and your name here like this.
  10. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Beautiful. :cry:

11. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I had a Star Wars lunchbox back in the 70's as well. The last time I remember seeing it, I had drilled holes in it (presumably for a fuzz box or something). I'm fairly sure it's been trashed by now though.

On the topic of DIY and lunchboxes, I have built a few guitar-centric 500 series modules over the years, never intending to use any outside the studio.

Chandyland likes this.