Anyone carrying a Kel Tec 9mm?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Tweedman, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Tweedman

Tweedman Member

I've been considering one of these guns as a carry and conceal for a while now. A co-worker who also works at a gun store part time is telling me that for the price, this gun would really fit all my needs. Any opinons would be appreciated.

2. PBC

PBC Member

what are your specific needs? Is this your first or only firearm?

3. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

Spend just a little more and look at the Kahr CM9. Kel-tecs aren't bad, but aren't great either. My buddy had a P11 and it was not fun to shoot. They are easily concealed though.

4. The Funk

The Funk Member

I would think understanding your specific needs would impact the gun you should carry.

5. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

I have been using my Keltec P11 with extended hand grip as my CCW since 2002.
    Easy to conceal, very light weight.
    Never a firing prob on the range.

Not the greatest, but works fine for me.

I took a tour of the factory in Cocoa Beach FL in 2006.

The only negative I can say about this weopon is that that Ass Peck Zimmerman porportedly carried and used a P11.

6. Lwilliams

Lwilliams Supporting Member

I have a Kel-Tec PF9. But it is not my carry gun. I carry a Kimber SOLO. The Kel-Tec is small, light and reliable.

I don't carry it because it does not fit my hand as well as the Kimber. I went with Berreta, Sig, Glock, before I settled on the Kimber. Still have the Glock and the Sig.

Now, if the Kel-Tec fits you, then it is a good gun. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdd44jfgrLo

You won't go wrong with a PF9 if it suits you.

7. cratz2

cratz2 Member

+1.

Nothing is too fun to shoot in this category, but I'd definitely want to put a minimum of 100-200 rounds of FMJ ammo through it then an absolute minimum of another 100 rounds of whatever carry round you decide on. This is of the utmost importance in my opinion.

Many modern pistols are designed with carry ammo in mind but there are still plenty of guns that will feed, say, Golden Sabers or Gold Dots just fine but won't reliably feed HydraShok. Or vice versa.

I wouldn't be afraid to carry the KelTec. I had a P32 and a P3AT. The P32 was golden in terms of reliablity. The P3AT was less so. I wouldn't rely on that one without working out the springs for my preferred carry ammo.

I'd also suggest at least considering a Kahr over the KelTec. I carried a P9 Covert which was from before the had the lower end series of guns but it was a very well-designed gun. The KelTec stuff, while very decent, definitely cut corners from the very design. I'd also consider a hammerless or bobbed hammer 38 snub, depending on where you live and how you might physically carry your gun of choice. While not ideal, 38 with concealed or bobbed hammer can be fired from a jacket pocket if needed.

Here's comes my gun disclaimer: whatever you buy, be sure to think through different scenarios. There are websites where you can do some research of different potential scenarios. What's around you. Who is around you. Other 'bad guys' that might be right there that you don't know are bad guys. Gas station considerations... Lots of potential bad things that a lot of folks don't think about until after something bad happens.

Good luck and be safe.

8. Lwilliams

Lwilliams Supporting Member

Also, consider the Ruger LC9. Pretty much the same size and weight. Some consider it better and more reliable than the Kel-Tec.

The Kahr CM9 and the PM9 are both really great as well, but they are bigger than the Kel-tec.

Those lighter guns tend to jump a bit more than I like. That's why I went with an all metal gun. Heavier, but that's just my preference.

9. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've had the P11 for about 15 years. I didn't like it until I had the spring re-done to reduce the pull tension. THAT transformed it in to a nice pocket piece. Highly recommended mod.

jon

10. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

a fluff and buff of the trigger bar will help with the trigger pull somewhat..then there is the old paper clip mod...

Since Kel-tec strongly doesn't recommend modding the trigger pull I've learned over the years that a lot of firing and regular snap cap practice will get you used to the factory pull.

11. hogy

hogy Member

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

^^ wow, I did not know that. In my case, I believe the trigger pull went from way too heavy, to reasonable - nowhere near light. But still, that article is sobering. But my biggest safety margin is that I've pretty much stopped carrying :eeks :facepalm

jon