Anyone catch the current Black Crowes "13" tour?

The band sounds fantastic this time around and Jackie Greene is a smoke show on lead guitar.

This is probably my favorite line-up since 2005.

russiancrowe

The band is on fire and the set list are being mixed up again. The first half of the tour was pretty much a greatest hits tour but they are mixing all kinds of stuff into the setlist for the second half of the tour. It's too bad they're going to do solo stuff again next year just as this version of the band is gelling so well.

Zexcoil

Vendor
The band is on fire and the set list are being mixed up again. The first half of the tour was pretty much a greatest hits tour but they are mixing all kinds of stuff into the setlist for the second half of the tour. It's too bad they're going to do solo stuff again next year just as this version of the band is gelling so well.
Yeah, but on the other hand, Chris and Rich's most recent solo projects were awesome.

shooto

nice!...thanks for the input...first time being able to catch them..I'm psyched!

BrainDamage

The band is on fire and the set list are being mixed up again. The first half of the tour was pretty much a greatest hits tour but they are mixing all kinds of stuff into the setlist for the second half of the tour.
Not denying that they sound great but, I'm still not completely buying into the setlists. The first five songs of every show are interesting then they go into greatest hits mode for the last half. I mean, they will play some real good stuff every occasionally (got a Low Down and Exit this year for the first time, Darling of the Underground Press, Feathers, a couple of Another Roadside Tragedies, Black Moon Creepings, and Virtue and Vices, etc.), but as much as I hate to say this I was losing interest around the middle/last half of some of the shows I saw this year (11 total, 6 at the end of October). To reiterate, the band sounds great and I will go to whatever shows I can when they come back, but the setlists have been stale all year in my opinion.

EDIT: Also, bring on the solo projects. Can't wait to hear more from Chris and Rich, and hopefully Trigger Hippy will release the album they're sitting on.

DewieCox

Supporting Member
These dudes always bring live. Impeccable sound and great playing.

Love Rich's solo stuff and Chris's stuff from the first hiatus, but am I the only one that can't stand the mindless noodling of the Brotherhood records? Just doesn't go anywhere to me.

jabhead

I saw the show Monday in Boulder, I thought it was great, better than the show I saw in Telluride earlier this year. Jackie is better than I thought he would be with this band.

The opened with the Stones cover Let it Bleed, which was pretty cool.

pokey

Here is the setlist from the last show

The Black Crowes
Ogden Theatre - 11/13/13
Denver, CO
Under a Mountain
Nebakanezer
Cypress Tree
No Use Lying
Nonfiction
Paint an 8
Powerman (Kinks cover)
Ballad in Urgency
Wiser Time
Welcome to the Goodtimes
Whoa Mule
Remedy
Hard to Handle (Otis Redding cover)/Hush (Deep Purple/Billy Joe Royal cover)
Encore
Feathers
Willin' (Little Feat cover)

Fred McMurray

The Black Crowes
Ogden Theatre - 11/13/13
Denver, CO
Under a Mountain
Nebakanezer
Cypress Tree
No Use Lying
Nonfiction
Paint an 8
Powerman (Kinks cover)
Ballad in Urgency
Wiser Time
Welcome to the Goodtimes
Whoa Mule
Remedy
Encore
Feathers
Freakin' fabu setlist right there. Paint an 8, No Use Lying and also Feathers jeez + Ballad>Wiser wish I was there

shooto

awesome...can't wait...few more hours tonight...how long did the opening DJ play?...or, when did the Crowes go on?

slogger

The Black Crowes
Ogden Theatre - 11/13/13
Denver, CO
Under a Mountain
Nebakanezer
Cypress Tree
No Use Lying
Nonfiction
Paint an 8
Powerman (Kinks cover)
Ballad in Urgency
Wiser Time
Welcome to the Goodtimes
Whoa Mule
Remedy
Encore
Feathers
Would love to have caught this show. How is Jackie sounding? I had checked out some clips from his beginning days with the Crowes and was surprised at how very out of place he was. Sounds like from what I've been reading lately he's fallen into place nicely.

shooto

well, my review:

HOLY SH*T...that was from my wife's mouth after the first song...I agree and have video of a few to back it up- personally, I was at church...amazing show- everyone was on fire-

setlist -Denver 11/15/2013

1. Been a Long Time (Waiting on Love)
  2. P.25 London
  3. Gone
  4. Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution
  5. Sister Luck
  6. She Gave Good Sunflower
  7. What Is Home
  8. Thorn in My Pride
  9. Torn and Frayed
    (The Rolling Stones cover)
  10. The Last Place That Love Lives
  11. Dreams
    (The Allman Brothers Band cover)
  12. Soul Singing
  13. Sting Me
  14. Twice as Hard
  15. Encore:
  16. There's Gold in Them Hills
  17. Oh! Sweet Nuthin'
*edit* I can't remember the opener...don't think it was "Been A Long Time" though, I think that was #2

Last edited:
Friday Nov. 22 - Wiltern Theatre. Been waiting all year for this night. My favorite venue as well. Unfortunately where I was standing the sound was muddy, not good. Great vibe all night though.

Been a Long Time (Waiting on Love)
(Only) Halfway to Everywhere
High Head Blues
Good Friday
Magic Rooster Blues
Nonfiction
Medicated Goo
Ballad in Urgency
Wiser Time
Whoa Mule
I Don't Want To Talk About It
Sting Me
Twice as Hard
Remedy
Encore:
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'
Don't Do It

Saturday night was magic from the beginning. I got in and situated closer and this seemed to cure the sound issue I had the night before. The band and audience seemed to be having a blast. Marc was even smiling from time to time. TWO Stones covers this night, which made the girl next to me ecstatic.

Soul Singing
Hotel Illness
Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution
Peace Anyway
She Gave Good Sunflower
Good Morning Captain
Descending
Jumpin' Jack Flash
What Is Home
By Your Side
Thorn in My Pride
She Talks to Angels
Sometimes Salvation
Jealous Again
Hard to Handle
Hush
(back into Hard to Handle)
Encore:
Wild Horses
Dixie Chixie Chicken

I've seen Jackie Green with Phil and Friends, among other projects. I've always liked him and have a lot of respect for his playing. He really held his own both nights. Do I think he's the permanent solution? Don't know. My feeling is no.

I've seen Jackie Green with Phil and Friends, among other projects. I've always liked him and have a lot of respect for his playing. He really held his own both nights. Do I think he's the permanent solution? Don't know. My feeling is no.
I don't think the Crowes are even looking for a permanent "solution" since they aren't really even a permanent band at this point. Next time they tour ('15?, '16?) it'll likely be someone else on guitar.

Trending Topics