Anyone change tubes in their Goodsell?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BadAssBill, May 12, 2008.

1. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

GAS has to be put on hold for a while, but I'm realistic. There is no way to extinguish that flame completely. A lot of folks have talked about putting some NOS tubes in their amps and wanted to know if anyone had done this with their Goodsell.

If so, what did you put in and how was the tone changed? I gigged with mine Saturday and still can't believe some of the tone that I get out of this amp. I leaned towards using it with a Barber DD SS for some of the more rocking stuff and it was just awesome.

2. mkg

mkg Member

About six months ago I replaced everything except the 5V4 rectifier with NOS GE...two 12AX7s and a pair of 6BQ5s.
    I think NOS tubes last a little longer than current production stuff on average.
    With the GE preamps and power tubes the cleans are a little cleaner and deeper and the overdrive is a little smoother.
    Could be my imagination but the old glass seems to add more body to the sound, or more character, if you will.
    I had the 12AX7s already, so that part of the experiment was nice and cheap. I bought the 6BQ5s from Mike at KCA and am about ready to order another pair just to have as backup.
    Might be fun to try a pair of NOS 7189s, too...

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I have a S17 MKII with reverb and in mine I have a set of NOS RCA 7189's a GE 5V4 a Mullard ECC83 in V1,GE 12ax7a's in V2+3 and a Telefunken ECC83 in V4. The 7189's have more headroom,better compression and a smoother top end.The amp seems to "breath" more with the NOS 12ax7's. I like many of the new production power tubes,some more than NOS stuff,but the newer preamp tubes just don't have it IMHO. The only current 12ax7 I like is the Tung Sol;close in sound to a 70's GE short gray plate,to my ears.

4. BadAssBill

thanks for the opinions guys. I'm going to keep this in mind. I ironically think I have a lot of headroom, especially given the wattage so I'm not trying increast that. I use the lower input jack, closer to the front of the amp, do you guys do that as well? It breaks up much sooner for me.

I have my (in o'clock) Gain at 2, tone at 1, and volume at 12...and am right where I need to be gig volume wise. I also love the bite I get out of it for solos.

Thanks again.

5. mkg

mkg Member

Mine's the older style Mk2 so it just has the one input jack on the front-facing panel.
    I generally use the settings you described...gain and tone a little past noon, master at noon or greater depending on the venue.
    Sometimes I'll crank the gain, depending on the song.
    I almost always use my LP, but lately have been messing around with Strat and Tele, too.
    I think V1 is the place to start experimenting, seems to have the most influence on sound to my ears.

6. BadAssBill

Thanks MKG...for what it's worth...my Goodsell loves some travis picking type stuff with the single coils. :D

7. mkg

mkg Member

Very cool! Merle learned that style from Mose Rager, who lived and played about 30 miles south of here around the Drakesboro area.
    Bill Monroe was down there, too, and a couple of kids named Don and Phil Everly.

:bow