anyone changed out the tubes in their egnater build (from the class)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tubes and Strings, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

Like the result? Not noticeable? Other?

2. Tubes and Strings

I'm mostly asking about the power tubes, but other changes would be of interest to hear about as well....

3. Tubes and Strings

4. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

Sorry man, just saw this post. Yes, I've used several different tubes in my class build. I really like the Tung Sol reissue in V1. Chinese in the others works great. I also put in a solid state rectifier since mine was an earlier one. So far my favorite power tubes and been the JJ KT 77's. Kind of a mix between the 34's and 6L6's. My fave EL34 has been the Winged C. Also the JJ 6V6's are a lot of fun too.

Just get a few sets of power tubes and bunches or pre amp tubes and try 'em out.

5. Tubes and Strings

I don't understand these sentences... Could you elaborate a bit?

6. Buckeyedog

Sorry, V1 is the first pre amp tube farthest away from the power tubes. This has the biggest impact on the tone. I have found I like the Tung Sol reissue 12AX7 in that position the best. The next two pre amp tubes (v2 and v3) really can use most any tubes. The standard chinese 12AX7's (cheap) tubes sound great in these slots. They are like $9 each. Just get like 6 or 7 different pre amp tubes (Tung Sol, EH, Chinese, JJ, Sovtek LPS, etc) and swap around until you find something you like. It's a lot of fun!

7. Tubes and Strings

Cool. I thought you were using V1 to refer to the preamp stages, but wasn't sure which tubes you were referring to.....

Sounds like you've changed out the power tubes as well, from your first post.. did you notice any tonal differences between them... I've heard that the 6v6's provide a more Fenderish sound, but am curious if it is so...

8. Buckeyedog

Yep, have tried several different power tubes. I've found the KT77's make a nice mix of the EL34 and 6L6. And yes, the 6V6's do get some Fendery vibe going. I think the KT77's also give a bit of a fendery vibe too. The Winded C EL34's are all Marshall.......they sound great too. It's just fun to swap around those too. I think you just have to try them out and see what works for you.

9. Tubes and Strings

will do. thanks for sharing your experience with it.

(would still love to hear from others who have done the class as well if you are lurking out there...)

10. Purplexi

Purplexi Member