• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone changed the pots on a Danelectro?

PeterUK

I saved this quote (can't remember where from) and I'm interested in learning if anyone else has changed the pots for different values?

...change the pots to 250K and suddenly your Dano/Silvertone will produce lots of balanced mids as well as highs.

The truth is ... it’s not the pickups after all......it was the top mounted bridge on masonite making a 'banjo' ringing effect. I have many originals from '56 to '63. The vintage wiring configuration of 100K+1000K + .1 capacitors actually choke the tone of these simple but beautiful pickups.
Any thoughts?

:) Peter

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
My experience with traditional lipstick tubes has been that if you go above 100K on the volume pot you end up with a really bright, thin, wimpy sound. You might get away with 250K if you drop the tone control value but 500K I would avoid at all cost.

kinmike

Gold Supporting Member
I have a '91 Charvel Surfcaster that had such a wimpy sounding lipstick bridge pickup that I switched it out. Now I wonder if it was because of the pot? Does anyone know what the stock setup was? The neck lipstick sounds fine.

There was some weridness going on in the stock circuit to get a strat quack sound. Maybe that complicated things.

Mike

PeterUK

My experience with traditional lipstick tubes has been that if you go above 100K on the volume pot you end up with a really bright, thin, wimpy sound. You might get away with 250K if you drop the tone control value but 500K I would avoid at all cost.
Thanks. I'm converting my Pro 56 to a Bass VI/Baritone and I'll do the conversion first before tinkering with the posts.

Lowlands Erik

I have a Pro 56 too.
It is pretty good out of the box.
After peeping inside the 'electronics' cavity I saw ample possibilities for upgrading. ....but after exchanging the existing cap with a Roederstein cap ($0.75) I don't feel like doing anything else. It rocks!
The pots are Alpha's IRC.
The middle pickup setting is the best with clean settings. I love the bridge with some gain.
Great little guitar.

ES350

Tried 150 to 250K in RI Danos and switched it to a Tele vol/tone setup. I got tired of fiddling with the the stacked pots...it wasn't all that tinny, maybe beefier.

PeterUK

I have always stayed with 250K for single coils. Going up to 500K was never satifactory for me with single coils.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1020386&highlight=danelectro

Great link. I was following it anyway but it contains some great info.

I was going to do the same but came across a guy that is selling Danelectro Bass VI necks on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Danelectro-6-string-bass-neck-/250987926565) so I snagged one of them.

It should arrive this week and I've got great twanging expectations with this. I'm going with Ernie Ball 6-string bass Slinky strings and hoping to tune E-E.

I'll report back and let you know how it worked out.

newswede

I'm modding an old 12 string I bought in '99 I think. Well, I was going to...then the new 250k pots wouldn't fit in the metal retaining bracket that mounts below the pick guard. Grrr Tomorrow I have to drill it the holes larger.
The only thing I could really do was put in a switchcraft jack.

I'm having some trouble with a schematic though. Two pickups and I'm thinking of using two 250k pots and a .022 cap. Master volume, master tone. I've got 2 fender pots ready to go (will have to find other knobs I guess). I'll see about a new on off on switch later.

Has anybody done that? I didn't think it would be hard to figure out, but ouch! Thanks!

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
Necro bumping. I have one of the new DC 59 nos+ Anniversary models and I never could get down with the concentric pots On Danos. i am thinking of master vol / tone setup with 250k CTS pots and maybe a new switch and jack. This guitar will be used for gigging and recording. Anybody done these mods to one of these?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
guys, you're missing the point of the stacked knob setup on these, which is that in the middle setting the pickups are in series, not normal parallel! that middle setting is a lot louder and bassier than either pickup by itself.

a whole different set of rules apply for series wiring, including the tonal effect of the pots themselves.

the number one trick the stock setup gives you is that (unlike regular parallel) you can in fact turn down the tone knob on one pickup and it doesn't affect the other pickup too. along with the volume and bass boost provided by series wiring, this gives you a neat option:

dime both pickups, switch in the middle, then turn off the tone on one pickup; you'll get the top end of the other pickup by itself but with the series bass boost from both pickups.

it sounds like a single coil but with humbucker low end.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
that said, my own jerry jones dano copy sports two seymour duncan lipsticks and a simple two knob arrangement, and it actually sounds great with 500k pots and even a no-load tone pot.

the pickups can be bright but unlike fenders with the alnico magnets aimed right at the strings the lipsticks are jangly and "diffuse", the attack is not nearly as harsh. combine that with the hollow masonite body and the brittleness just isn't there like it would be on a strat or tele with brighter pots.

Trending Topics