Anyone changed the pots on a Danelectro?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by PeterUK, Feb 2, 2012.

1. PeterUK

PeterUK Supporting Member

I saved this quote (can't remember where from) and I'm interested in learning if anyone else has changed the pots for different values?

Any thoughts?

:) Peter

2. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

My experience with traditional lipstick tubes has been that if you go above 100K on the volume pot you end up with a really bright, thin, wimpy sound. You might get away with 250K if you drop the tone control value but 500K I would avoid at all cost.

3. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

I have a '91 Charvel Surfcaster that had such a wimpy sounding lipstick bridge pickup that I switched it out. Now I wonder if it was because of the pot? Does anyone know what the stock setup was? The neck lipstick sounds fine.

There was some weridness going on in the stock circuit to get a strat quack sound. Maybe that complicated things.

Mike

4. PeterUK

Thanks. I'm converting my Pro 56 to a Bass VI/Baritone and I'll do the conversion first before tinkering with the posts.

5. Lowlands Erik

Lowlands Erik Member

I have a Pro 56 too.
    It is pretty good out of the box.
    After peeping inside the 'electronics' cavity I saw ample possibilities for upgrading. ....but after exchanging the existing cap with a Roederstein cap ($0.75) I don't feel like doing anything else. It rocks!
    The pots are Alpha's IRC.
    The middle pickup setting is the best with clean settings. I love the bridge with some gain.
    Great little guitar.

6. rcboals

rcboals Supporting Member

7. ES350

ES350 Member

Tried 150 to 250K in RI Danos and switched it to a Tele vol/tone setup. I got tired of fiddling with the the stacked pots...it wasn't all that tinny, maybe beefier.

8. PeterUK

Great link. I was following it anyway but it contains some great info.

I was going to do the same but came across a guy that is selling Danelectro Bass VI necks on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Danelectro-6-string-bass-neck-/250987926565) so I snagged one of them.

It should arrive this week and I've got great twanging expectations with this. I'm going with Ernie Ball 6-string bass Slinky strings and hoping to tune E-E.

I'll report back and let you know how it worked out.

9. newswede

newswede Member

I'm modding an old 12 string I bought in '99 I think. Well, I was going to...then the new 250k pots wouldn't fit in the metal retaining bracket that mounts below the pick guard. Grrr Tomorrow I have to drill it the holes larger.
    The only thing I could really do was put in a switchcraft jack.

I'm having some trouble with a schematic though. Two pickups and I'm thinking of using two 250k pots and a .022 cap. Master volume, master tone. I've got 2 fender pots ready to go (will have to find other knobs I guess). I'll see about a new on off on switch later.

Has anybody done that? I didn't think it would be hard to figure out, but ouch! Thanks!