anyone compare a stereo wet reverb with a boss RV5?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by popinvasion, Jan 21, 2012.

1. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

I have read from a few people that the Boss RV5 in modulation mode does the wet sound but better.

I know there are many neunaber devotees.. But if we were honestly comparing, would we find some overlap and similarity? And which one would be the keeper?

Also state your application.

2. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

I played both on my board for a while. Both are pretty different.
    Surprisingly the RV5 has a more "3D" stereo field.

3. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

Well, the RV5 is a little more sparkling and upfront overall. The stereo wet sits back in the mix and is foggy and more like software reverb.

The "modulation" in the wet is more subtle, you definitely do not hear any kind of pulse or chorusing, it's more like an accumulation of early reflections and just.... I don't know.

When hooked up in stereo together it is heaven. Absolutely awesome. Anyway, it's pretty obvious when side by side that the RV5 makes the sound more spread-out and alive. This is in STEREO. In mono, this is not the case. I love both. Both are worth having.

4. popinvasion

sounds good. I have a bsr and I have a RV5 on the way. I never had all three at the same time.

Sounds like I will be in good shape with the bsr and rv5 alone.

5. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Hey, someone said there was a party here?

[​IMG]

6. popinvasion

The hof was ok. I am not excited by toneprints. I also had a space that I was not a fan of.

7. popinvasion

8. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

yeh ive got both, the rv-5 stays at home...I do like its modulated reverb a lot, but its doesnt quite let the tone through enough for me to use it live anymore. I learned this from watching videos nd listening to audio from our live shows and realized the wet is much more subtle for an always on effect, and I love it

9. Grant2389

Grant2389 Member

Ive got both. Agree with Mr. Limbic.

I had both. The WET bumped the RV-5 off. Just sounds more natural and less "electronic" than the RV-5. Its also very subtle and doesn't get in the way of your playing. Also, it will be updatable in the future, which is super cool.

10. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

i think this is question applies to how u want to use them for true comparison. I had them both and A/B'd them. For a subtle, more normal always on reverb, the wet was much more organic and 'non-processed' sounding. But, i use a verbzilla for this as i find it much warmer than both, so my other verb was for a more ambient, lush, wash sort of thing. For this application, it was RV-5 hands down. Reason being is for the fact that the mod is better imo on the RV5, and the biggest thing is that unlike the RV5, the wet DOESNT have one of the most critical controls on a reverb: master! Sure u can turn the mix up to get "wetter" but when u do this ur creating a space frame of audio, thus in a sense losing output db. The RV5 has a master (level) knob, and even at the wettest settings, it can still b as loud or loder than the bypass signal. A huge plus and must have for more ambient settings. Hope this helps

11. halcyon85

halcyon85 Member

He offers a mod on the Wet just for that. It settles the issue of volume loss at higher mix settings, iirc. It also makes it harder to get subtle reverb, but I think I read on here from someone who had the mod done that it wasn't as big of an issue as one would suspect.

But that's for the mono one. Don't know how it works with the stereo.

12. popinvasion

I have another RV5 in my hands now. I have to agree the modulation mode is pretty hard to beat.

13. 10strings

10strings Member

I have both and I couldn't agree more!!

14. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I've not had a WET, but I used to have a RV-5. The RV-5 is a fine pedal, but IMO the reverbs sound fake, plasticy and dated, including the fabled modulation setting. I just thought my tone sounded better without it on at the end of the day. I recently picked up a Subdecay reverb and I'm much happier with the sound. I'm not telling you to buy the Subdecay pedal, but my gut would suggest getting the WET over an RV-5.

15. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

This is true. It is just so good.

16. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Any more info on this? And does the rv5 preserve our normal tone well?

17. natethegreat12

natethegreat12 Member

I never felt that the RV5 had a long enough decay in modulation mode.

18. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

I have RV-5, Stereo WET, BSR and now a Flint...

RV-5 and WET are really 2 different beasts to my ear...I use RV-5 for modulate mode and spring, WET for ambient, Flint however for me, is close to a game changer.

I'm not so sure the Flint doesn't beat the WET at the ambient game...

BSR will be sold eventually as shimmer is only thing unique at this point and I don't use it...

19. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member Gold Supporting Member

I realize this thread is almost a year old, but I've yet to find the exact answer or experience I'm looking for...I'm looking for the Raveonettes wall-of-sound reverb and an wondering which of the two would be better for this, the Stereo Wet, or the RV-5? Keep in mind that I'll most likely be placing my verb before dirt, a la the Raveonettes and Phil Spector wall-of-sound type approach, and am wondering which of the two would be better for this approach? Does anybody have experience running these reverbs in this manner? Thanks!

20. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member Gold Supporting Member

Any takers on the topic mentioned above by any chance?