Anyone compare Addrocks Boostmaster to other TB's?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sstweed, Jun 2, 2008.

1. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Just curious how the Boostmaster stacks up to the other popular treble boosters we discuss around here. How full range is the full range mode? What tranny is in there? Etc.

Probably end up trying one soon enough. I have had nothing but great results from Addrocks other pedals. Now this one is GAS'ing me.

2. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

No one? Bummer. I'll go first then.

3. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I've seen a bunch of them for sale lately in the $100-$110 range. Certainly worth a try at that price. I love the Addrock stuff myself. I've got a Geranium Fuzz, Hism Scism, and 2 NSOY. I'd love to pick up an Electric Smile someday too. I've not played the Boostmaster though, as I'm not a boost kinda guy.

4. Masa

Masa Member

I own more than 10 trebleboosters, and the Boostmaster is one of my favorites, especially after a mod. I like it so much that I just bought a 2nd one.

The drive knob on the Boostmaster is very unique, and that makes it very special. Also, mine has NKT275, instead of a typical OC44. I'm not sure how much difference that makes, but it sounds a little Hendrixy. Soon, I'll find out what's in the 2nd unit.

The problem (to me) was that the treble channel was a little too trebly, and the full was way too muddy. So, I replaced all the caps with NOS mustard caps. The original caps were Treble (0.005uf << this is same as the original Rangemaster) and Full (0.022uf). I changed them to Treble (0.0068uf) and Full (0.01uf). Now, both channels are useful. I use both depending on the guitar/amps/room.

I'll try either Bumble bee or Vitamin Q caps on the 2nd one, and compare with the 1st one (Mullard caps). It'll be interesting, although each germanium sound different.

Greyblooz likes this.
  5. addrock

addrock Member

Interesting. I recently changed the treble cap in the Boostmaster on my pedalboard. I like the full cap though, but perhaps I'll try that as well.

H.L.