Anyone compare WGS greenback to Stan Spec to Celestion RI's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kapo_Polenton, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I can't dial in a recorded sm57 sound I like. Fizzy or too gritty... can't get my RI greenbacks or g12h30's to give me what I want. Am I out to lunch to think that maybe WGS versions or the Weber Stan Spec will give me what I want? Have you guys compared these?

2. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

3. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

What amp and mic are you using?

Tom

4. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

JCM800 with soldano hot mod or my plexi clone built to metro 69 specs. I boost with a bad monkey or BB.

Speaker cab is an Avatar vintage 4x12 with two RI greenbacks and two RI g12h30 anniversaries. Just can't dial in what I like. Playing it in the room though, it sounds pretty good. Its just recording which is a b_tch. The Webers and Scumbacks impress me but i wonder if there will be that much of a diff to justify spending more cash.

5. Blueshound

Blueshound Member

I would think if the amp sounds good to you in the room, it's a matter of mic placement. Feel free to PM me, I used to have the same problem as you, maybe I can help.

Lee

6. wreckboy

wreckboy Supporting Member

No "hands on" experience with WGS speakers but from the sound samples they have posted, I don't think this is what you are looking for.
    I do have experience with a number of other speakers (Weber, Celestion, McGourty, Scumback, Fane, Jensen, and Eminence) Out of these, I would choose the Stan Spec, these sounds great. Also, I recently got a Celestion Gold. Wow, what a great speaker!!! If you want no Frizz or Grit go for the Gold.

7. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I was leaning towards Stan spec. Blueshound, I am going to PM you as well.

8. Blueshound

Blueshound Member

PM replied to.

Lee

9. gulliver

gulliver Member

This thread just hit it's one year annaversary, but I thought I'd bump it for more discussion. Not too much buzz about the Stan spec webers on this forum.

10. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

if it sounds good in the room, than use a room mic...don't close mic it.

there's plenty of buzz/controversy about the stan spec speakers elsewhere, so check out some other forums if you want details...