Anyone compared the BOR and Jetter Black?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Mar 10, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Just curious...then there's the Purple! :drool

2. jamison162

3. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I've had the BOR and the bass issue forced me to sell it. From what I read the GSB has strong bass too so I wonder how it would compare also. I do have a Jetter Gold and absolutely dig it man. Killer for rhythm and leads.
    The pedal gives me that creamy, chunky lead feel, love it dude! Sounds the best with the amp with a little hair on it but also good with a clean tone also, you need some volume for that to work best. Its good for low volume playing too as long as the amp is already dirty. The Gold does compress but not until the highest gain settings and I actually like how it compresses which for me is unusual.:dude:dude

4. jamison162

Yeah, the Gold sounds nice too. I wouldn't mine checking out all of them but the Blue. I have a Purple on the way and 10 days to decide to keep it or not.

5. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

I've owned both the BoR and the Black. The Gain Stage Black is my "go to" pedal on my board, the BoR is long gone with no regrets. The Black sounds more balanced, the BoR was very bottom heavy with my gear.

6. wahwah

wahwah Member

I had a Box of Rock but replaced it with the Jetter Gain Stage Purple. They are very different types of pedals with different objectives (JTM45 Vs later 50w Plexi) but in terms of usability with my rig, the Jetter Purple is much more friendly. I think Zachary's comment that the Box of Rock works best with Marshalls is very true, whereas the Jetter is ready to add a Marshall color to a lot of different amps, in the same way that the Crunch Box does. The Jetter Purple is slightly more "amp like" than the Crunch Box, but the CB has a little more happening in the low mids which gives it a nice weight. Of the three, I definitely found the BoR the most difficult to incorporate, and it has since been sold. I got Purple No. 18, so I'll be hanging on to that one!

Cheers.................................wahwah

7. jamison162

Thanks Kid. Other than eq, are they voiced similar in gain structure and breakup (open, non compressed, etc.)??

8. jamison162

Interesting comments wahwah. I've owned a CB and actually preferred the OCD over it. Sounds like the GS Purple and Black should be better than the CB and BOR. I wonder what they do to the OCD, shame it, or does it hold it's own. It's gonna be a showdown when the Emma Reeza gets in...and the G2D Custom Overdrive if I exchange the Cream-Tone for it.

9. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

The Black can add compression with the Hard/Soft witch in the Soft position. The Hard pos is very open with a lot of attack. The I, II switch can also affect the feel and color of the sound. I have mine in the II position as I'm in a low volume situation right now. There is a lot of flexability in the Black with these added switches. There is a lot of note separation with the switches set for Hard and II. I'm curious how the Black and Purple compare to each other.