Anyone compared the OCDv3 with the OCDv4?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sashjo, Mar 26, 2008.

1. sashjo

sashjo Member

hey

has anyone played the newest model of the Fulltone OCD version 4 next to the previous version 3?
    so far i haven't really been able to find a side by side review/description.

to my ears the v3 is so good i'm wondering what changes Fulltone would have made to it to make it better....or different.

if anyone can chime in that would be great.
    thanks

2. golddillion

golddillion Supporting Member

When I got my v.3 I thought that this is the best od/distortion pedal I had tried so far. The list includes various modded Boss pedals, BB preamp, Crunchbox (great, but for a different purpose), reissue Butler Tube Driver, Vox Big Ben, Menatone KOB, etc. It just fit what I wanted it to do.

That being said, I also thought that it could lose a little of the 'roundness' on the bottom end, have a little more mids, and lose a little bit of the fiz on the top end (not that there was much of that). These were sort of subtle changes I would make to make it a better pedal for my tastes.

Early last week I got the v4 and I'll be damned if it did not nearly perfectly address those three small changes I would make to v3! I gigged with it last weekend and it was the best rock rhythm tone I believe I've ever had. BTW, the amp is a Ceriatone 1986 plexi clone with an old Peavey Butcher 4x12 cab with celestion G12k85s. The guitar is a Dillion goldtop lp with a Dimarzio Air Zone pu in the bridge and virtual p90 in the neck. Hope this helps.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

You've got to try it for yourself with your rig. I like the v3 better for the same reasons he likes v4. v4 lost some natural warmth and was too open and had more top-end fizz to my ears.

4. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

I had both & I think there were some subtle changes to "reign in" V4 just a little bit. For me, V3 was a better lead pedal because it had more bite, but just too fidgety to dial in for rhythm with a Fender amp. V4 is much easier to dial in those crunchy rhtyhm tones from Low to Med/High gain and it sounds great throughout the gain knob sweep - great pedal...

5. sashjo

sashjo Member

thanks everyone for their insights.

it's always something you need to try with your own rig but at least i got an idea of what changes were made to the ocd.
    thanks again

josh

6. golddillion

golddillion Supporting Member

Another difference I forgot to mention is that the volume control sweep on the v4 is easier to control than on v3. I should also add that both are staying on my board. the v3 for fat low gain stuff, and the v4 for higher gain stuff. I love em!

7. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

When did Fulltone start making the V4 and how can one *visually* distinguish a V3 and V4? Serial #? (This one's #16483.) Any characteristics on the box? Date on the 'owners manual' page? (Mine says 2005.) The reason I ask is that I just bought what I was told was a V4 and I've noticed that the photos in the ads for the OCD show the clockwise arrow around each knob...I am not knowledegeable at all on the different versions, just wanted to try an OCD and after reading up on it I decided to go with this the 4. It doesn't seem to indicate anywhere what specific version it is...not a huge deal, but I just want to know if this is actually the V4, since this is what I was told by the seller (who was told this by the TGP'er that traded it w/ him...)

8. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I agree with this. I like the V3 better than the V4 as well.

9. shawntp

shawntp Member

I chimed trying to put words to the differences I heard back in another thread a while back:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=394131

10. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

Version 4 is heading closer to Fulldrive II territory.

11. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

I had v3 and v4 side by side for a couple of weeks.

Guitar used: Tom Anderson Droptop
    Amp used: Dr.Z KT-45 head through a Z Best cab.

v4: higher top end = more shrill; not as full.
    v3: rounder and fuller.

v3 had the most "umph" between the two so that's the one I kept. I wished it had some of the higher end of the v4 but the v4 was a little too thin for me compared to v3. If the v4 were the only version available, I'd have been happy to keep it.

12. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

(Laughter)

13. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

I had a V.3 and really liked it, but it the bass is almost too much and you can't really dial it out. Some people really like that but once I A/B it with the V.4 I thought the differences were subtle but the bass issue had been addressed. I prefer the v.4

14. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

True, in the end, the V3 bass issue is why I sold it. But otherwise, I prefered it to V4.

15. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Both versions are good as I just purchased a V4 on Sunday.

Back to reality, compared it to the Tim on Monday afternoon and will be returning the OCD today. Sorry, but the pedal just does not sound realistic when comparing it to the Tim. When I purchased the pedal on Sunday I didn't have my stuff to compare, with nothing as a reference the OCD sounds glorious, put something next to it of high quality, the OCD doesn't come off so well.

Pluses - cool Marshall style crunch, very dynamic, lots of range.

Negs - highs are not as good as other pedals out there, bass frequencies lose complexity, adds too much bass - you can never dial it back unless you add a bunch of treble. doesn't seem to work as well with other pedals I have and definitely not as good as the Tim.