1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Currently Using Hot Vintage Noiseless Pickups...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by benjammin420, Feb 17, 2009.

1. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

Anyone currently using Hot Vintage Noiseless pickups, do you use 250k pots or 500k pots? Can anyone describe the tonal differences? The stock 250k pots on my strat dont respond as well (blurry low end, not as much roll off as before) to the Hot pickups as they did with the stock 69 p-ups (blurry low end, not as much roll off as before) Its been recommended that i upgrade to 500ks, but i dont know if that'll just get me further from my desired tone...any thoughts?

2. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

There is either Hot Noiseless (as found in a Beck Strat) or Vintage Noiseless (as found in the Clapton Strat). No "Hot Vintage Noiseless".

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

meh, the dimarzio virtual vintage and area series pickups (edit: as well as the kinmans) left that stuff in the dust a long time ago.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  4. teletran1175

teletran1175 Member

500K tone pots with 250K volume.

5. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

Is that what you use? is there a downside to switching to a 500k volume?

6. LReese

LReese Member

Could it be pickups marked "Hot Noiseless" (or something like that - staggered with an extreme bevel? I'm guessing some type of overwound Vintage Noiseless from around '00? I got a Strat with those and I remember it having 1M pots.

7. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

yes excuse me, "Hot Noiseless" designed for jeff beck.... never heard of a 1M pot, did it sound good?

8. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

someone suggested to me that i should switch the caps on the tone pots, what kind of change will this cause?

9. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Raising the value of the volume & tone pots will make the pickups louder and brighter. Having used the Hot Noiseless pickups I would say this is not desirable.

I would recommend some experimentation with the pickup height first. It makes a huge difference.

10. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Hot Noiseless were designed for and sound fine with 250K pots. Bill Turner, who designed them for Fender has talked at length about them on the Fender Forum. I'm afraid they would get pretty screechy with 500K. Do play extensively with pickup height- you should find your tone somewhere with your stock pots. What tone cap do you have? .022 uF works well with HN's, .043 can make them darker. (I do own Hot Noiseless in a Beck Strat).

The 1Meg pot was for the Vintage Noiseless, which need all the high end help they can get. Very different pickups.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  11. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

i really dont think pickup height is the issue. The stock pots sounded fine with the stock pickups (i played around with different height settings with no issue). But since the HN were put in, the tone sounds "cotton-y" (nowhere near 'woman tone') when the highs are taken off. Ive played around with the heights, and the same issue is present. At the same time the pickups were installed, i had a push-pull hooked up to the neck p-up to turn in on in any other setting. When the neck and bridge pups are engaged, you can adjust the neck tone to any level and there is barely any change (i spend alot of time adjusting heights to get the right balance of neck and bridge, but never did i get this problem to resolve). When the neck and mid pups are activated though, adjusting either tone will noticably contour the tone (though still cottony).

It doesnt sound like switching to 500k pots will help (though, thats what my tech suggested) because highend is not the issue. Everything sounds fine on '10,' if anything its too bright (ive been thinking of having the bridge pup wired to a tone control). The volume and neck tone pots are original, the mid tone was switched to a 250k push-pull. I dont know which caps came stock, and/or if the tech swapped those as well.

12. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

13. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

14. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

i was hoping to find someone whos had this same problem and what there solutions were