Anyone Currently Using Hot Vintage Noiseless Pickups....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by benjammin420, Feb 17, 2009.

1. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

Anyone currently using Hot Vintage Noiseless pickups, do you use 250k pots or 500k pots? Can anyone describe the tonal differences? The stock 250k pots on my strat dont respond as well (blurry low end, not as much roll off as before) to the Hot pickups as they did with the stock 69 p-ups (blurry low end, not as much roll off as before) Its been recommended that i upgrade to 500ks, but i dont know if that'll just get me further from my desired tone...any thoughts?

2. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

As mentioned here before I'm a big fan of the Dimarzio VV Blues. I don't know if you consider that hot?? A great PU for strat neck lead tone. I've also had great success with the Dimarzio Crusier.

The 500K pots did not work for me. There was a brittle high-end clickity sound that was disturbing...at least. 250K's seem to work fine and I'm definately rolling Volume and Tone up and down constantly.

3. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    I have 2 sets of noiseless Fender pickups and one set has a 500k volume and 1k ohm tone pots. The other has 500k volume and 500k tone pots also. The one with the 1k tone pots just has more output and clarity and kinda shines as opposed to the one with 500k's. I am going to change out the other one for 1k pots I think but I don't know if these are noiseless 'hot' or vintage noiseless... (I know... lot's of help) sorry...
    I know that both sets I purchased came with a 500k and 1k ohm tones but I wonder why? They are a far cry from 250's...

4. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

1K? never heard of that, do you mean 1M?

5. baimun

baimun Member

He should have said 1M.

They're 1000K (1000 k = 1 Meg) ohm pots.... double that of a 500K which in turn is double a 250K for a single coil.

The higher you go up in the Potentiometer load, the brighter the sound gets... so if a particular combination of pickups is too bright or too dark, you may be able to curb some of that by compensating the pots.

The only time you see something outside of those three is actives... EMGs use 25K pots.

6. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    oops...sorry.
    yes, 1 Meg ohm pots is what Fender sends out with their noiseless pickups (at least the two sets I bought).
    Again, I ask why?
    Are the noiseless that low in the highs department that you need all the signal going thru to sound good?

7. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

the problem with my 250k is that when you roll off the tone, it has little affect. (they seem almost like theyre not working at all, compared to stock p-ups) If i switch to 1m pots, is that going to be too bright? because right now its as bright as i need/want.

8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I would swap out your existing 250k for a different one (preferably a CTS with 10% tolerance or better) and see if the volume drop is still a problem.

I played the hot noiseless pickups for a couple of years and never found the sound I was looking for. However, because pickups are so 'guitar dependent' I won't say they're bad pickups. But the minute I put Fralin Vintage Hots in the same guitar I found all the things my ears had longed for...except better playing on my part.

9. testing1two

Also remember that the Hot Noiseless schematic uses a .022 tone cap, but that doesn't mean you can't try a .047 or a .1 to get a different tone roll off.

10. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

11. testing1two

sorry, I meant to say taper...an abrupt volume drop would apply to the taper of volume pot.

12. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

I dont know if the tech swapped the original caps (he didnt mention it if he did; nor do i know what the original cap is rated) but how much difference would that make? versus switching 250k pots for 500k?

13. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

14. omni

omni Member

500k is gonna be a lot brighter if that is what you are looking for. I prefer 250 with all single coil pups. They are pretty bright as is with the 250k pots.

15. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

no, theyre plenty bright. its the low end that sounds muffled, suffocated

16. testing1two

17. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

yes, thank you, im reading my way through it now....