• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Anyone cut your strings before putting them on?

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
It’s actually easy do the Martin over-under knot on vintage Fender keys, works fine. I only do it on the high E (string #1) cause that’s the ‘slipper’.

DGDGBD

Sure, every time, both slotted and non-slotted tuners. Don't need that extra length flapping around while winding. Why would it be considered silly?

Last edited:

IanRubbish

On my non locking tuners I do, I do two tuning post lengths past the tuners Im stringing for wound strings, and about 3 on the non wound string.

cap10kirk

Not since I had a Floyd. And even then, I eventually started putting the strings on backwards so I wouldn't have to cut the ball ends off anymore.
But unless you've got a Floyd or the vintage Fender slotted tuners I just don't see any benefit in cutting the strings first.

noisebloom

I cut them for the Floyd, and also for vintage Fender tuners. On regular tuners I always leave the slack outside the post and cut them after I'm done.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
Bill Baker method FTW.

Fender style I cut first measuring with the 3 finger rule past the tuning machine.

Gibson style I cut after.

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
I think OP means before even threading them through the bridge, not before winding them on the tuning machine. Literally pre-cutting them.

I do not. I have an easy by hand measuring system to get them the right length on the different types of tuners I use, but I thread them through the bridge, measure, cut, then wind on the tuner.

Fender vintage style tuners, by the by, should have strings wound pretty low on the post for a better break angle. They won't slip if you use something like the Martin trick on the unwound strings. I see so many Strats and Teles that have strings wound too high on the posts because people don't understand this and they actually play tighter because of the shallow break angle.

Trending Topics