Anyone directly compared MP Snow White w/Emma Discumbobulator?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Atmospheric, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

I know the MP SW hasn't been officially released, but protos have been seen for sale.

I'm jonesing for the emma, but MP stuff is generally real good. No idea what the MP SW will go for, but the Emma ain't cheap either.

Just wondering if anyone has tried them head to head (or might in the future).

2. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

bump for a good question

i can't wait to hear the snow white, wondering how it compares to the mojo hand 442 personally

3. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

How do you know there's a new MP pedal coming? I'm interested in BJF stuff but can't find a home page for him. Any info?

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

hmmm good question :cool:

5. Atmospheric

http://www.mpamp.com/pedal/index.html

6. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

i'd like to give that Snow White a test run myself. The thing about the emma to me isn't that it sounds 'better', it's that you can set it the way you want it and change guitars, take it to a different room....and it still sounds good. Other Env filters seem to need constant sometimes minute/ sometimes major adjustments to sound the way you want. I used to have a qtron and if I went from tele to gibson it quaked like a dying goose.

the emma seems to accept different signals yet still perform well. I wish I had one. :(

7. zion

zion Supporting Member

Had the Emma and now have the Snow...

No comparison in terms of sound quality, tweakability, and build quality. The MP is the better pedal hands down. More of your tone, more of your technique, and just plain better sounding. There are few similarities.

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Wow, you've got me curious. I just bought the MP Phaser to go up against my favorite, the Maxon PH350. I've had many BJF pedals and figured his phaser must be better. My ears preferred the Maxon so I sold the Tiny Orange Phaser.
    I should stay satisfied with my Emma, but quotes like yours always get my curiousity up.

9. Atmospheric

Any idea what street price will be? I'm guessing $300-ish new, like most MP pedals.

10. Atmospheric

I'm pretty technical, but I'm not sure I really know the difference between an "envelope filter" and an "auto-wah." Anyone know?

11. rocketride

rocketride Member

12. Aussie_Rambler

Aussie_Rambler Active Member

I havent played with the Emma But The Snow White is AWESOME! I compared it to my Mojohand EF and it has so much tone, fullness, GUTS....

I love my Snow White...:phones

13. Atmospheric

Does the EMMA run on AC? I just assumed that it would run on 9VDC. If yes (AC), that's a deal killer. DANG!

14. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

It does run 9v DC--I just use a pedal power II. I've long searched for a good sounding and controllable envelope filter and it ended my search. Very subtle to very quacky, and very easy to dial in.

15. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

It will likely be a couple of months before you see any SWAW's for sale second hand, while used Emma's can be found for a good bit under $200. For what it's worth, and all that...
    That said, I had an Emma and sold it, and I'm totally on the lookout for the MP!
    MP's Fire Red Fuzz is the shizz, not that it means anything, but they've definitely got the goods going on in Finland.

16. Atmospheric

Whew. I'm looking to pick one up from MF when they get in (so I have 45 days to return it if I don't like it). But everything I use has to run on a 9V tap.

17. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

bump - any other comparisons?

18. funkycam

funkycam Member

These words are kind used interchangably (in the same way that vibrato & tremelo are) but I think of them this way:

In an Autowah you set the speed of an ocillator that sweeps the frequency point of a filter up & down.
    Result: filtering that goes from bassy to trebly & back again. Like a phaser sweep but with a wah sound

In an Envelope filter, the signal volume (ie picking dynamics) control the opening & closing of the filter.

19. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

They're Heeeerrrrre!!
    :cool:

Shipping Monday!

20. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I thought I'd post here as I compared both and kept my Emma. The Snow White IS an awesome, versatile filter, but I ended up sticking with my Emma. The SWAW is very smooth and full and has amazing sensitivity control, but I like the simplicity and familiarity of the Emma.

The SWAW doesn't quite have the high end/treble bite of the Emma. Is stays a little smoother on the top end at all settings. It is a fuller tone than the Emma, but I like the top end of the quack on the Emma more. With overdrive, the SWAW is amazing and I actually preferred it to the Emma, but I like the way the Emma quacks with a clean tone better. If you watch the videos on YouTube, you'll see what I mean about od with the Snow White, pretty amazing. For the funk stuff that I use a filter for, the Emma cuts through better and is what I'm looking for.

The SWAW is incredible though and I really wanted to keep it, but after a lot of back and forth comparing, I knew I would end up using the Emma on most things.