Anyone ditch Timeline for Timefactor + MLjr or El Cap

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hhylkema, Feb 16, 2015.

1. hhylkema

hhylkema Supporting Member

I'm finding that I only use about 4-6 different delay sounds. Anyone ditch their TL for a TF + another delay like El Cap or MLJr?

I like the idea of the Timefactor's dual delay capabilities and super crisp digital sounds. I would miss the lush delays of the Timeline, but have heard outstanding reviews on MLJr.

For super ambient stuff I've turned to my BigSky for it's crazy but beautiful verbs.

2. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

I use a ML Jr. and an El Cap w/ a fave switch. Can cover a lot of ground. Using a V2 stereo WET too. If I could have ONLY one delay, I'd pick the ML Jr. YMMV.....

3. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

I did. Really love the El Cap, but went back to a Timeline :)

4. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

I got rid of a Timeline for a Timefactor, and honestly don't miss much other than Ice mode. The Tape and Analog modes on the Timefactor are very very good, and the modulation is nice.

5. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

I could easily do it if I had the space to add a boomerang or another delay+looper with -foot- volume control, reverse and preset changing with MIDI.
    The ice mode is the only one I can think I'd miss too, but I have a Space, so... probably not.

6. slap_back05

I use a DD-5 for reverse, always have. Love that thing. The Timefactor's new looper algo is superb BTW.

7. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Yeah, saw the video yesterday, they finally add reverse and crazy things to the looper.

But the fact that I can't use delay+looper simultaneously is the only reason I'm not using a TF, because I think it does sounds better than the TL in most of the modes, and the dual delay is a killer feature.

8. hhylkema

Thanks for the feedback guys. Anyone else? I think I'm going to put the Timeline on the chopping block.

9. Brien

Brien Member

Presets are pretty important to me in a pedal's value.

10. foodforthegods

foodforthegods Member

I use my timeline with MlJr and catalinbread belle epoch... I got all grounds covered. Sweet trio. Timeline just gives you endless possibilities. Creative pedal.

11. hhylkema

That is some trio for sure.

Presets are huge for me too Brien.

12. SixStringFlannel

SixStringFlannel Member

I made the switch from a TL to a MLJR... then gradually came back to the TL. I get GAS easily and when I can emulate a lot of different sounds (not 100% of course but close enough) it can help subside the urge to buy the next big thing. You can't go wrong with an MLJR though, it has a great personality and I do love it.

13. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Were the added Timefactor looper features released as a frimware update? Man that's great to see they are still supporting their product.

When was the last time us Timeliners got an update, huh Strymon? :dunno :)

14. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Yeah released a couple months back. There was work to do re-writing the looper code so it would work on the H9, and they added a bunch of cool features.

15. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I think if you use up to 6 different delay engines in a TL, it's worth keeping. That was much more than I used. I used 3 at best. But I did get rid of my TL for a ML Jr. and Boss DD-5. And I ended up adding a Diamond Quantum Leap as well.

16. hawes

hawes Member

I dumped the TL for a ML Jr. and a Quantum Leap. I just did use all the features on the TL to keep it. I do miss it and will probably pick one up again sometime to mess around with. All are great pedals though.

17. jujube

jujube Member

Timefactor is outstanding. Beautiful modulated delays and excellent presets. I use it with a Lexicon PCM 81. It can be crisp or warm and darker if you wish. I bought it just after it was released. It is not going anywhere although I plan to get a couple of analog delays for sound mangling. The H9 control software makes it easy to edit. I never cared for the ultra crisp sound of Strymon products.

18. slap_back05

As others mentioned, a huge plus to Eventide is that they are still updating and supporting their products, unlike most...

19. Monts

Monts Member

Can't speak for the MLjr, I have a Timeline, H9 (with all Timefactor presets) and an El Cap all on the same board and I can't think of a reason to ditch one for the other. I seem to find quite a bit to do with all 3 of them!

They all do things that the others can't, initially when I got the Timeline I thought I'd be able to cut the El Cap. Not so.

20. bschultzjames

bschultzjames Supporting Member

I tried to solely use an el-cap for a while instead of my timeline and couldn't. I don't even think I made it through a gig. I like presets for longer sets. It's more convenient for met to bank through presets for each song in a set. I did love the el-cap's sound, but couldn't justify keeping two super nice delays on the board when I could set up one to do everything.

For what it's worth where I play we always use a click.