anyone do a minihumbucker in neck and P90 in bridge?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dewman, Jul 20, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

seems like they would balance well, especially if the bridge pup was overwound to thicken it up a bit...hmmm

anyone do this to a LP deluxe??? or tele??

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Got a minihum in a tele neck, but a regular tele SC in the bridge. Sounds great.

3. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Asked the same a while ago, not many replies:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=148414

I have that project in the back burner now but as soon as I get back to it (a few weeks) I'll report on the results. On paper balance should be ok, P90s being hotter than PAFs and Minis being slightly quieter. We'll see.

Incidentally I have another long term project where I plan to do the opposite: neck P90 (for that gorgeous "Another brick in the wall" solo tone) and bridge Minibucker ('cause I fell in love with this clip: http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/sounds/LPDeluxe1.mp3). In this case I know the balance will be off but it's a sort of "research" project anyway so I'm not too worried.

4. dewman

I asked because I used to have a really wonderful les Paul deluxe reissue with two minihumbuckers. It never really had enough gas to push the front end of an amp in the bridge position, yet the neck gave a great bluesy tone that is really amazing. I imagine that the LP Deluxe is quite like a fat tele, and thus is no surprise that mini humbuckers in tele necs sound good. I have been liking my P100s in my recently acquired LP Special. I will switch to Lollars pretty soon, but the change will probably be relatively similar. Anyway, with the tone rolled down, these pups in the bride sound great for slide and are more powerful than minis, My guess would be that the neck mini and bridge might be a nice combination, if the volume differences between the two pups were complimentary. let us know how it goes...

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I have a Les Paul Deluxe customized by a Neil Young fanatic in Des Moines named John McConnell, the owner of Crazy Horse Guitars, which has a custom wound P-90 in the neck and a custom wound Firebird pickup in the bridge. Bigsby of course is also installed and it has a customized electronic cavity with some of the biggest orange paper and oil caps I have ever seen. The combo of pickup is awesome with that warm yet distinctive P-90 neck sound and the raunchy, gritty, bright but not icepicky Firebird tone in the bridge-pure Neil Young tones and a lot more. The combo is fairly well balanced but the P-90 does sound a bit stronger/louder. Just have to compensate witht he volume pots on the guitar-that's okay because that is what they are there for!! Cool combo of pickups though-try it.

6. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

This is what my Vinetto will have exactly.

Should be here this week....

I'll post a review on it when I've had it long enough to run through the paces.

RC

7. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

That's what I plan on doing. My deluxe has two p-90's. The neck p90 is awsome. I also like the bridge pup, but I want to experiement with a mini in the bridge to tame the hum.

I'll be putting in a duncan sm-2.

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Are you keeping the treble bleed cap?

9. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

:D

10. todd richman

I do not have a digital camera but if you go to H-C Forums and do a search under my name there is a thread about Neil's guitar and some pics put up by Rev David Lee of River City Rockets fame who hooked me up with the guitar and brokered the deal via John McConnell for me. There are several pics as attachments showing the front, headstock, control cavity and a pic of John McConnell holding the guitar in his shop-it was his guitar but somehow David Lee and I convinced him to sell it to me. It is pretty special. I have since changed the knobs from gold speed knobs to amber bell knobs like Neil's. Mine also has Grovers not Schallers and I do not have the mini toggle phase switch. It is a great sounding guitar and the Bigsby is subtle but cool. I actually wanted the guitar after seeing Marc Ford play a Hofner version of the guitar via some pics at the Crowes website from their Pozo Saloon gig this Spring. Marc is also a major Neil fan.

11. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Found the thread and the pics, very cool guitar!
    Congrats!!
    :AOK

12. todd richman

Thanks tonedaddy. Could you post those pics here?

13. dewman

14. jgyn

jgyn Member

If I had another Deluxe, I would totally do this!

15. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Me and my dad's late 60's maple capped tele had a p-90 from a gibson lap-steel and a PAF in the neck. Kinda close I suppose. I was 5 in this pic!

[​IMG]This is the best sounding guitar I've ever heard in my life btw.

-DB

16. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

I've seen the opposite, p-90 neck, mini HB bridge.

17. grooveht

grooveht Member

I will have something like the setup you're describing in this:

[​IMG]

Was thinking maybe an SD 'lil 59 or Dimarzio Virtual Hot lead in the bridge, together with an SM-3 Seymourized in the neck...although come to think of it, a bridge model might have a little more output and warmth in the neck?