1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Anyone do more than strum a Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wodka, Aug 25, 2006.

1. wodka

wodka Member

I recently played a 660 and I thought it was superb sounding, comfortable all purpose guitar. Yet, Rickenbackers seem to be relegated to singer/songwriter strumming guitars. Why?

2. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Obviously, you've NEVER seen any footage of 60's era Pete Townshend!!

3. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

Oh, yeah! I have a fantastic '67 360/12 (12-string) I sometimes play lead on. I crank the amp and wail! Nothing else sounds like a Riki 12, especially when played mean. I even composed a couple pieces specifically for this guitar, complete with plenty of fire and brimstone.

Another guy I've seen use it this way is Steve Howe of Yes, in "Awaken" on "Going For the One."

4. Doodad

Doodad Member

Wow, this is twice I have seen this in a week or so. I can rock the hell out of my 620. My personal favorite guitar. Strummer? That is what my Gibson faded is for. Rics can do whatever you put them up to hands down. And sound awesome.:messedup

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

I remember Paul Gilbert tearing it up on one back in the late '80s. I think his even had slanted frets. Didn't sound like a clanger, jangler and clunker then.

6. Luke V

Luke V Member

Didn't the guitar player in Steppin Wolf play a Ric? I like his lead and rhythm tone.

7. Doodad

Doodad Member

Don't know about Steppin Wolf, but the Beatles lead and rhythm guys managed.

8. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Don't forget John Fogerty...he played Ricks a lot back in the CCR days.

The other guitarist at my church has a Rick, and plays both lead and rythm on it.

John

9. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Remember Andrew Gold with Ronstadt?

10. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Surprisingly a fair amount of Chicago blues players ,like Hubert Sumlin, used Rickenbackers back in the day.More recently, in the 80s there was a Delaware based blues player, Tom Something or other, who got great tones out of a hollowbody Rick.Of course the king of of lead players who used a Rick was the somewhat underappreciated Fred "Sonic" Smith of the MC5 and Sonic's Rendezvous Band but his main axe was a 450-12 strung as a 6 modded with Gibson humbuckers.

11. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the lead on the Byrds' "Eight Miles High" played on a Ric?

12. barkingpumpkin

barkingpumpkin Member

Yes, it's a Bass but he's doin' more than strumming it! ;-)

[​IMG]

Sorry! Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

13. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Kurt Ballou of Converge! He does a HECK of a lot more than strum cowboy chords on that thing. A friend of mine also uses one for all kinds of jazz and bop.

14. KRosser

KRosser Member

I have a Rickenbacker lap steel. I rarely strum it.

15. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

They always struck me as the most awesome of rythym guitars, but lacking something when it comes to leads.

But then Steve Howe on Awaken is a truely wonderful thing.

I still have my 360/12.
    [​IMG]

Maybe someday I'll get me another 360 6 string.

:)

16. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I can't even do that! I've had my eye on a 360-12, and today my local shop let me take it how to try out with my full rig, which includes a JangleBox compressor. My fat fingers cannot make correct chords on that pencil neck! I like the sound, but I just can't finger it. I have to take it back tomorrow and pass on it. I still have my Dano 12, so all is not lost on the jangle front.

17. somedude

somedude Member

I donno.....whenever I pick one up I can't stop playing Day Tripper.

18. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

Fugazi, Radiohead, Sonic Youth, Sleater Kinney, City of Caterpillar, Q and Not U - all bands making exciting music, far outside of the jangly, singer-songwriter cliches

19. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

You will need to try a 660-12 (Tom Petty model without the high price) It has a wider fingerboard for cleaner chords.
    I had the 660-6 and it was a breeze to play. I played some lead on it but I didn't think the pickups were suited to my style. Great rythym sounds and inspired a few new songs.

20. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Martin Rotsey of Midnight Oil .. some ripping leads on a 330-12.