Anyone do the Monte Allums Rectifier Mod? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mr. meeks, Sep 13, 2006.

1. mr. meeks

mr. meeks Member

I'm at the tail end of finishing up the Monte Alums Rectifier Mod for the DS1 when I got to the final step, and what do you know, the last two components (the two 1N4002 Diodes) DO NOT FIT in D5 and D4 in the pcb.

I have basically no idea what to do.

Anyone else have this problem or anything I could try?

2. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Yeah, I took a tiny little screwdriver and pushed it through the hole to make it a little bigger.

3. Ascension

Ascension Member

I just did that mod and had the same problem. I used a hat pin and carefully enlarged the holes for the diode leads to fit through on the PC board. I then carefully forced the diode leads one at a time through the enlarged holes then grabbed the leads from the bottom of the board and pulled the diodes down with a pair of needle nose pliers. Email Monte and let him know you had a problem. This is my fourth mod with his kits and the first real problem of any kind I have had. The problem on this one is the leads on the supplied diodes are slightly too large for the holes in the PC board.
    Update I just fired Monte an email on this and gave him a link to this thread.

4. mr. meeks

mr. meeks Member

Thanks guys, I did the same thing (enlarged the holes), but it was a bitch finding something small enough yet not big. Thanks for the help.

I emailed Monte first and told him about the problem. He's been really helpful in the past, I tend to ask alot of stupid questions when I do these DIY projects

5. T-Von

T-Von Member

Hi Guys, this is covered on my Pedal Mods Issues Page:

http://www.monteallums.com/Pedal_Mod_Issues.html

Radio Shack sells a pin head size round file that I use but anything with a pin head file will work. I developed this page and it is included as a link in the e-mail you receive when the electronic instructions are sent. There are several other issues covered there. Hope this helps.

Thanx,

6. Ascension

Ascension Member

Monte I missed the link somehow in the instruction email you send out that cleared a few things up for me thanks . Good to see you posting over here man Richard.

7. imcorn

imcorn Member

ive got another way to overcome this problem.. just use some of the left over clippings from the other parts and solder the clipping to each side of the diode. The clipping sort of acts like an "extension" to the diode ends, thus just insert the clippings into the pcb and solder away (the clippings should be able to fit the hole easily)

I also used some electrical tape to tape the exposed ends of the diode to prevent it from shorting out the components. Think this way is safer than filing the pcb holes as the traces might be damaged.

Cheers

8. mr. meeks

mr. meeks Member

an update: I was able to finish the mod successfully by enlarging the holes a tad. Sorry Monte, I missed the link in the instructions as well. I was able to noodle around with the pedal a bit last night; the mod sounds fantastic, only thing I could've asked for is maybe a bit more volume on tap, but that was true of the ds1 in the first place. Thanks again everybody!

9. Ascension

Ascension Member

I noticed the low volume also on the DS-1 Monte yuu might want to work on correcting this shortcoming in the DS-1 in your mod. The stock DS-1 does not have much in the way of actual volume boost.
    The DS-1 with rec + mod is a MUCH better sounding pedal than the stocker !

10. T-Von

T-Von Member

Cool. glad you worked through it. For a volume boost and a FAT gain let me suggest my Rectifier Tri-Gain Upgrade kit. It's a switch that will offer 3 difference gains. Very cool and will give you a volume boost plus FAT sustain and rich harmonics too.

http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html#DS1DGUpgrade

Also, I went by Radio Shack and got the sku number of the file I use here to enlarge the holes. It's $5.00 and works very well. It's Radio Shack sku 64-2964. It's made by Kronus and is called a Precsion File Set. I highly recommend it. Very high quality and will last.

Thanx,

11. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Or swap one of the diodes for a red LED. That would give you a bit more volume and a bit less gain with some asymmetrical clipipng.

12. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

BTW CMATMODS does all the Monte Allums mods .. but of course it is more fun to do it by yourself!

13. T-Von

T-Von Member

Do this, add two 3mm red LEDs in parallel to D5. Man, talk about thick FAT tone and with more volume. Great mod. Better than one LED by far.

Thanx,

14. T-Von

T-Von Member

Hi Pai, great to see you on the forums. I want to personally Thank You for all the help you've given Chad on his website. Great work!