Anyone do this with their od's???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by semi-hollowbody, Jan 23, 2008.

1. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I found a great acdc tone with a barber ltd BEFORE a marshall Guvnor in the chain...
    Basically I set the ltd for very LOW gain (7 oclock)but jacked the volume up to 3 oclock..then with the guvnor I set the gain at 9-10 oclock and turned the volume DOWN to compensate for the ltd's high volume...I figured that angus gets his tone from low distortion but HIGH volume so I goosed the guvnor witha HUGE signal, then compensated for it to maintain unison volume...does this make sense?? Sounded awseome...so I tried it with other pedals using the barber ltd as the gooser and it still sounded great...did I stunmble on to something many already do or is it in my head/?

Anyone else do something similar/?

2. ARch

ARch Member

Yeah man - you stacked your drives using the LTD as a clean boost (basically) to further drive the Guvnor.

When I'm playing through the Twin my FD2, OCD and BoR are set with the Gain up normally, but there's another angle when I'm through the Mesa and getting some amp drive. I set the amp gain pretty low, and drop the gain on all the pedals to nil so that only their volume drives the amp even more -- a little bit of each pedal's tone still comes through, but otherwise just goosing the amp.

The FD2 works great in Comp mode to stack before other OD/dist pedals.

3. jpagey

jpagey Member

I do a variation on this. The Barber DD set with the drive at 7:00 and volume high is a nice departure from the usual lower volume/higher drive settings on od pedals. On the Barber TP EQ and BU EQ. it's fun to set one channel with low gain, high volume and the 2nd channel with higher gain and lower volume--almost like 2 different pedals in one.

4. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I sometimes crank my amp and trun the gain up on a pedal and turn the pedal volume way down for bedroom volume playing.. seems to work better at getting a decent tone than just turnting the amp way down and running the pedal normal

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I'd say at least 1/2 of us or more here do the stacking thing with drive pedals. Lots of artists do as well.
    One of my most killer combos was an '05 burst Eternity (mid hump, bass cut) slamming the input of my Reezafratzitz. Sounded amazingly like the intro to Pink Floyd's "Sorrow"... but better ;)

6. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Now add a volume pedal after the two boxes so you can play more with your guitar volume for tone and use the pedal to control the final volume.

7. Sid

Sid Member

not so sure about this...but wont turning down the volume of the last pedal also turn down the overall volume...that wouldnt be good to get ur power tubes cooking

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I use my Barber LTD before my Maxon Compressor into My classic 50 ...
    Therefore it works both as a note thickener when playing clean
    & a boost when I kick in the amp's happening overdrive channel ...