Anyone done a 12"/10" cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CitizenCain, Nov 18, 2005.

1. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I've got a 2x10 cab that I'm using for a JTM45 clone. It's got a great sound, but I had a chance to plug into a 1x12 cab with a G12H30 and I immediately liked the difference the 12" makes.

Can't get another 2x12" cab, and I'm not selling the 2x10 since it was custom made for me. I wondered about pulling one of the 10"s and putting in a 12".

What do think that would work out like? The cab dimensions are 24" x 20" x 11", built along the lines of a Marshall combo cab, semi-open back. There's enough room for one 12" in there, I checked it out :)

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I've been using a KJL Clubowner 12/10 cab for several years and, once I found the right speakers, it sounds better than any 1X12, 2X10, or 2X12 I've played. I use a ceramic 12 for a tight puncy bottom with an alnico 10 for top end sweetness....but YMMV.

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Thanks for the reply, Vaughn! Now I'm really interested in doing this. Looks like I've got some work for the old jigsaw this weekend :D

4. WinstonN

WinstonN Silver Supporting Member

I built one two years ago and I love it -- one of my fave cabs...Pine cab w/fixed birch 1/2" baffle and open back. The speakers are on a diagonal, so it's pretty small. It combines pleanty of thump with lots of high end and is VERY easy to cart around.

I have a Weber Blue AlNiCo 12 and Weber ceramic 10 in there now. Vaughn, I've been wanting to try your speaker combo ever since I read what you were using.

Anyway, great combo IMO.

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

One of my amp clients did this combo as well. In his case, a G12M Reissue (6402 cone) ceramic 12" and a Jensen Alnico 10" (P10R). Sounded great. I was very surprised at how well they sounded together...nice bottom & mids from the 12", sweet upper mids and highs from the 10".

6. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I've got a couple of Eminence 10" in there now, a Ragin Cajun and a Legend 105. I'm thinking of keeping the 105 and adding a G12H30. Man, this sounds like it might be a great setup!

7. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

I'm diggin' mine , CC . Like the other posts indicate , "mo bass" , it's cool , almost like there's a crossover in it & the bass kicks in when you go below a certain point . This particular setup was ok until I put the middle "port" piece on the back , and then it "woke up" . I made a solid middle section for "closed back " also , but haven't gone there yet .

8. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Cool cab, RL! I was thinking of doing a similar wiring job, making it switchable between 4/16 ohms. Never thought about the seperate speaker option, that might be pretty cool, too.

You have a diagram drawn up for that wiring?

9. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I've done the 10/12 thing. I have an 18 Watt Marshall/GDS kit in a combo with a Celestion Blue and a Weber Silver Pup. It is truly spectacular with the 18 watter. Lots of snarl with the chime... Even better is that I run my Hayseed 30 though that setup and it sounds killer, too. So good that my buddy, fellow GP'er MarkC, went and ordered a Hayseed!

10. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Check yer mail CC .

11. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've got a Bob Burt Twin 1012 V - antique pine - which he made custom for me. It's got a Weber Alnico 10" California (JBL type) in the upper left, a Fane Alnico AXA12 (12") in the upper right, a Scholz ceramic 12" in the lower left and a ceramic Eminence Ragin Cajun in the lower right.

Each speaker is 8 ohms, with its own jack. I've got 2 speaker outs on my Kingsley Deluxe 32, so I can use any single speaker or combination of two. All in all, I can get 10 different speaker combinations with this one cabinet, including 4 different 10" + 12" combinations! All the 10" + 12" combinations sound great.

Since I use this cabinet as part of a wet/dry/wet setup, the remaining two speakers are used for stereo fx, which sound incredible.

13. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Here ya go CC :

[​IMG]

This way allows for an isolated stereo setup
    (2 different amps with no phase/ground loop issues)
    as long as the switch plate or jack washers = non-metal ,
    since the B switch also separates the ground on jack 2 .

14. 69strat

69strat Member

I have a kjl clubowner with a red fang and an emi 105. I played with a friend this weekend. He had my rockytop jtm45 through the KJL cab and I had my Hayseed through my 212. He said to me " how did you get both heads to play through one cab. " He thought we were both playing through the 212. I said you are playing through that little thing. He said holy !@#$!!! your kidding me!!! Love that thing to death and its real light!!!

15. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Hey, thanks RL! I'm on it :)

69strat, that sounds very close to the config I'm thinking of. Is that a open or closed back cab? Mine is semi-open.

Question for anyone, do you think I'd lose any 12" vibe by mounting the 12" speaker behind the opening for a 10"?

It's be a lot easier to setup this way, plus I could convert back to 2x10 if I don't like the 12/10 (sounds unlikely :) )

Cool! :cool:

16. A440

A440 Supporting Member

the 10/12 concept definitely appeals to me since I like properties of both sizes.

I'm toying with getting a 2x10 open back cab in near future, but this idea sounds cool.

just curious, if you play out and mic the cab. which speaker do you prefer to mic ?

17. kram21

kram21 Member

I have a KJL club owner cab with a celestion vintage 30 and a celestion vintage 10" speaker and this sounds awesome,especially my KJL dirty 30 head

18. thunderbolt

thunderbolt Supporting Member

I don't have a 1x12+1x10 cab, but my vht cab (1x12 greenback+ 2x10 eminence alnico; don't know the model) sounds fantastic with a Dr. Z maz. I think this vht cab is originally designed to go with the pitbull 45 head. The low is so full and the high is chimy, making it a perfect choice for clean to semi-clean to 70's rock tones.

19. 69strat

69strat Member

Indeed, it is an open back. Also, the rockytop happens to have a massive bottom end. The 10 cleans up some of the boomyness I sometimes get in a 212 config.

20. Profklamen

Profklamen Member

I have a VHT Pitbull 45 combo with 2x10" and 1x12" speakers. It's a great combination and a killer amp.