• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone driving a 112 with a BF Bassman? Looking for suggestions

addisonnyle

Silver Supporting Member
I recently acquired a fantastic Avatar 112 and would like to try it with my Bassman head. I currently use a 210 cab with the Bassman, but always wonder what the 12's would give me!

Any suggestions for 12" robust speakers that could handle the Bassman's punch? I would hope for it to be 4 ohms, but that's not entirely necessary I suppose.

Thanks!

dmagalhaes

Silver Supporting Member
EVM-12L. They occasionally pop up for sale in 4 ohm but an 8 ohm will work just fine. All three 8 ohm ones I had tested less than 8 ohms.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Fane "Studio" from the 80s. Sort of a British take on the EVM12L-sounds great with Fenders.

gtrgeek335

I have been running a 112 with a Emi Private Jack with my Drip-edge Bassman,sounds great! It is 8 ohms,but hasn't been a problem, if you want 4 ohms I would suggest a Emi Texas Heat.

Gordon

Dave

The WGS Blackhawk HP is worth a look. Punchy, relatively balanced, never harsh/fizzy, AlNiCo speaker that handles 100 watts.

addisonnyle

Silver Supporting Member
REALLY liking the Texas Heat from Eminence. That mug looks HOT, robust, tight, creamy, not shrill, AND 4 ohms for under a $100? Whoazer. Someone come at me with a better idea before I pull the trigger.

I worry I'll miss the British flavors I've been using with my Bassman for the last few years. Hopefully not!

Any higher wattage version of the G12H30's? I know WGS will do anything in 4 ohms for another $20, the ET65 looks great. That said, I REALLY feel like I need at least 100 watts.

addisonnyle

Silver Supporting Member
Still looking for something fairly affordable. I don't think the Texas Heat is the one for me. Too dull sounding from everything I'm hearing.

I thought maybe a WGS of some sort? Any suggestions there? The ET90 is a contender for the wattage it offers.

billyguitar

I have an 80 watt Redplate that came with an Eminence Swamp Thang. I also have as Texas Heat. The ST is a much better speaker, IMO. I would think a Cannabis Rex would be just as good or better.

Calloway

Silver Supporting Member
i used a cannabis rex for a while with my silver face bassman and it sounded great. not too bright and lots of punch. granted its 8 ohms, so it sagged the amp a little bit and made it a little dirtier, but i dug that. I use a 1x15 now though with a Big Ben.

Major Dude

I run my 61 Blonde Bassman through a 112 loaded with a Scumback M75 65watter, no problems and I love the tone

Major Dude

Btw - as someone posted earlier, all my old 8ohm EVM12L speakers actually gave a 6ohm reading. Although they can take any volume you throw at them I personally disliked the EV / Bassman combination, too sterile for me. Much prefer the warm character of vintage Greenback-based speakers.

thosk

You might check out the new Celestion V-70. It comes stock in the new Fender SF Custom DR and TR. British voiced, supposedly a cross between a Greenback and G12H30. Nice lows/mids with plenty of sparkle without the ice-pick highs. It sounds very good in my '68 CDR, First time I haven't felt the need to swap out the stock speaker in a new amp. And fairly inexpensive @ around $99.
That being said, I'm running a Weber Legacy M75 in my '66 AB165, and it sounds pretty similar to the V70.

Last edited:

Top Bottom