• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone driving a 112 with a BF Bassman? Looking for suggestions

addisonnyle

Silver Supporting Member
Just stumbled upon Weber's Legacy speakers. I'm REALLY leaning towards those. Customizable Greenback able to handle the punch of my Bassman sounds like a winner for me!

jjones

I have a 66 bassman I put into a combo cab. Running a weber California with a paper dome. Sounds fantastic. Clean, loud (very efficient), and handles all the bass I could ever want. Top end is chimey without being ice picking. I opted for the speaker to be broken in by weber, so it sounded great out of the box.

Stu Blue

I recently acquired a fantastic Avatar 112 and would like to try it with my Bassman head. I currently use a 210 cab with the Bassman, but always wonder what the 12's would give me!

Any suggestions for 12" robust speakers that could handle the Bassman's punch? I would hope for it to be 4 ohms, but that's not entirely necessary I suppose.

Thanks!
Way back in 1969-70 I ran a SF Bassman thru a Marshall 4X12 with G12Hs and that was fabulous... unfortunately it was my first pro amp so I swopped it for a Beige Showman with a Matching cab and learned that bigger was not always better.

Bassman will be about 45 watts (75 maxed and dirty) so one of Celestion's new 75 watt Creamback G12Hs should sound right and survive. Apart from the EV most 100watt 12s are are bit dead and unresponsive at the details level. A 2x12 cab would give you so many more options on speaker choice (and 2x8ohms =4ohms). There was originally a 2x12 cab available for the B/F Bassman as I recall (Jensons 2x12 P12Ns?).

Stu Blue

Btw - as someone posted earlier, all my old 8ohm EVM12L speakers actually gave a 6ohm reading. Although they can take any volume you throw at them I personally disliked the EV / Bassman combination, too sterile for me. Much prefer the warm character of vintage Greenback-based speakers.
BTW all 8ohm speakers will measure around 6ohms at rest ( and 12ohm for 16ohm speakers) the impedance changes in use and at different frequencies ... even the 8ohm/16ohm figures are just averages/guides.

rhythmrocker

1966 Battle of the Bands
[FONT=&quot]
I use a newer Mesa MC-90 thru a 50 watt plexi. Sounds great.
I have an older one - still the best of the bunch for me. Here’s my rating of 12’s I’ve tried to date with my faves at the top. Lots of A/B-ing, all broken in, all used with different amps but mostly a ’68 Bassman.[/FONT] Use as you may.

[FONT=&quot]Black Shadow MC-90[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Slightly pronounced mids; less bottom than MS-12; makes you want to play; sounds musical; bass is tight; brightness can be tamed with EQ - Keeper

Celestion G12-65 -Updated 8/20/2011

Very close second to the MC-90. The difference I hear is the G12-65 had more upper mid content and more bottom heavy than the MC-90 – i.s., focus is in a lower range; not much and is a little tubby compared to the Black Shadow; overall is musical sounding; rounded; highs NOT piercing. Moved the identical cabs to different parts of the room to verify and eliminate reflective surfaces. When compared to the Fane AXA12 (which I also A/B'd with the Celestion, the Fane has stronger mids, but not by much and the Fane has less bass, still tight, but less of it. Very close. Right in the middle between the MC-90 & Fane.

Fane 12AXA

Highs smooth, chimey; strong mids; tight lows; fuller than Black Shadow MC-90; very musical; more character; trebly sounding with RD, less so with Bassman; top end is sweet.

Celestion Gold

(50 watt)

(Alnico Magnet)

(added 8/20/2011)

50 watts; not as balanced frequency-wise as the MC-90; no apparent ear fatigue potential; more upper mid and treble content than the MC-90 (sparkly?); not really tight like Mesa; highs are rounded; less “smooth” than the MC-90; very sweet highs; at the same amp settings as the MC-90, the volume is slightly lower (90 vs. 50 watts?); lacks chordal definition at modest volumes; mids mushy; not as musical as the 12-65 or Black Shadow

Celestion V30

bass tight; mids are excellent; highs not piercing but very musical; at high volume Mesa ha tighter bass; the 1-4th strings are more musical than the Mesa (too bad doesn’t have tighter bass at high volume or this would be my number 1).

EV Force 12” - (added 1/26/2012)

Great sounding with MusicMan RD50 head in both clean and distortion channels; nice bass and has a midrange bump that I really like; not too hard on the ears but I like it when I roll off the treble on my guitar’s tone pot, just one “notch” or so; when compared to the MC-90, definitely bites more in the mids for both cleans and distortion channels; has more “piano-like” low end which I definitely like a lot. Bass-subdued, Mids are subdued, Treble is strong. Overall this can be a bright speaker unless you turn the treble down and that evens it out quite a bit.

Keeper if I don’t have too many speakers above.

EV SRO/L Ceramic

Brighter in a Bassman; warmer and cuts nicely with my MM RD50; too heavy

Altec 417-8C

Efficient; very similar to 417-8H; very musical sounding

(Note: Altecs in generals seem to have a lower than average DC Resistance)

Altec 417-8H

Less High-end; darker than JBL’s; preferred over EVM12-L’s; full low end; very musical sounding

JBL D120-F

Deep full sound, chimey; bordering on brittle in the high end

EVM12-L

Very strong low end-better than the Black Shadow EV; punchy mids; smooth highs; less efficient than the Black Shadow EV

EV/SRO Coffee Can Alnico

Highs – smooth, not brittle with Full bottom end

Black Shadow EVM (in MusicMan RD50-wht. Corduroy)

Very similar to EVM12-L; smoother top, more chimey; neutral sounding (not sterile, not brittle)

JBL E-120

Big Tight Bottom; upper mid-bump’ sterile sounding; strong overall mids; slightly brittle top end; punchy and aggressive

Celestion G12K-100

Strong lows; even response; not brittle

EVM12-L

(In black Music Man RD50)

Super efficient; loudest of all the speakers tested; tight low end; good mids; slightly harsh top end; sounds good overall

Tone Tubby TT12C

Strong; not as “full” as EV’s & JBL’s

Black Shadow MS-12 (Eminence)

Efficient; good low end (maybe too much in a multi-guitar band); smooth top end; mids not harsh

Eminence From My Deluxe Reverb (stock speaker)

Generic Sounding, but good sound; not harsh; lots of mids; not as musical as some others

Two-Rock K&M 65-8

Mid-heavy; highs lacking; ice-picky; tight lows; doesn’t have character

Jensen Neo 12”

Efficient; good lows; ice picky (a bit too much on my sensitive ear)

Jensen C12N

Annoying brightness; not very efficient when compared to the others on this sheet; slight emphasis in the mids; lows are ok

[/FONT]

Gary Brennan

Platinum Supporting Member
The WGS Blackhawk HP is worth a look. Punchy, relatively balanced, never harsh/fizzy, AlNiCo speaker that handles 100 watts.
I have a Bassman 50 based Fuchs mod, and a Glaswerks SOD 50, and use a 1x12 Blackhawk HP with either as the dry side of a wet/dry rig, sounds very good. Bet it would kill thru a Forte 3D.

gb

addisonnyle

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 66 bassman I put into a combo cab. Running a weber California with a paper dome. Sounds fantastic. Clean, loud (very efficient), and handles all the bass I could ever want. Top end is chimey without being ice picking. I opted for the speaker to be broken in by weber, so it sounded great out of the box.
None of those high powered speaker descriptions really spoke to me to be honest. Thames was the closest to sounding like it would work. I play a lot of dirty toned heavy delay (.8th) swirly stuff. I'm not sure the Cali would fit that very well.

Way back in 1969-70 I ran a SF Bassman thru a Marshall 4X12 with G12Hs and that was fabulous... unfortunately it was my first pro amp so I swopped it for a Beige Showman with a Matching cab and learned that bigger was not always better.

Bassman will be about 45 watts (75 maxed and dirty) so one of Celestion's new 75 watt Creamback G12Hs should sound right and survive. Apart from the EV most 100watt 12s are are bit dead and unresponsive at the details level. A 2x12 cab would give you so many more options on speaker choice (and 2x8ohms =4ohms). There was originally a 2x12 cab available for the B/F Bassman as I recall (Jensons 2x12 P12Ns?).
I really feel like the Greenback tone is what I'm after. Perhaps I need to opt for the 65 watt version of the Legacy instead of 100 watt? I'll contact Weber and see if they think it would hold up to the Bassman. I don't get a whole tone of drive from the amp, but enough. Don't want to go blowing a brand new speaker if it's not capable. I'd probably go for a bigger 50 oz. magnet anyways, perhaps that will help. And I hear it on the 2x12. I've contemplated time and time again, but for what I do, and already owning a 112 cab, it just sounds like what I'm after.

BTW all 8ohm speakers will measure around 6ohms at rest ( and 12ohm for 16ohm speakers) the impedance changes in use and at different frequencies ... even the 8ohm/16ohm figures are just averages/guides.
Good info! I've never tried a single 112 at 8 ohms with it, only cabs with at least 2 speakers. I'm sure that makes a difference, but whatever the case, it's still always felt best at 4 ohms for me.

I have an older one - still the best of the bunch for me. Here’s my rating of 12’s I’ve tried to date with my faves at the top. Lots of A/B-ing, all broken in, all used with different amps but mostly a ’68 Bassman.[/FONT] Use as you may.
That's some valuable info right there! I sure appreciate you including all that. Can I ask, were most of those at 8 ohms, or 4?

Thanks again everybody! All the input is really helping to make sure I end up with the right speaker.

handyman11

Gold Supporting Member
Have an 8 ohm V30 and an 8 ohm Red Fang .... thinking the Red Fang is a better match , for my 1X12 , but could it handle my 1966 Bassman 50 watt head ? Thought they were 30 watt speakers ..... thanks .

woof*

EVM-12L. They occasionally pop up for sale in 4 ohm but an 8 ohm will work just fine. All three 8 ohm ones I had tested less than 8 ohms.
Came here to post that.
If your only gonna use a single, you want it to be powerful.

Top Bottom