Anyone dump their acoustic and go all electric ...regrets?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shawntp, Aug 4, 2008.

1. shawntp

shawntp Member

I have an almost $2K Gibson acoustic that has hung on the wall (or been in its case during severe weather). I picked it up because it was a great deal at the time and I though I would use an acoustic in some hobby recording and play it a lot.

Honestly - I dont bother recording it as I find acoustics to be "not worth my effort" (or $$) in getting a good mic & setup to record properly and always hang it back up for an electric. I change the strings after about 3 months and there it sits getting strummed only once in a great while.

I was thinking of unloading and putting the $$'s into my Strat fund (currently strat-less).

Anyone dump acoustic all together without regrets or do you find you keep going back/buying another one.

2. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

I did this in 1980 when I talked my parents into buying me my first electric. Haven't owned an acoustic since.

3. devinb

devinb Member

If you're not using it, and you don't see that changing, and you're lacking something, do it.

4. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    If you don't use it give it another home, but I can't imagine not having at least a take to the beach acoustic around.

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

if you don't use something, sell it for something that will be used. simple.

6. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I only play electrics at gigs and rehearsals. They stay in the case the entire time otherwise, so this is nuts to me, but if you dont play it, it would probably be better to sell it. I will say, if you practice on acoustic, you will be waaaaayy better on electric. And you can get AMAZING acoustic sounds with a Rode NT1-A microphone ($229).

7. dtube

dtube Member

Way North of Pittsburgh...no, I don't own a banjo.
    I have tried my darndest to like acoustics...but it ain't me. In high school, mid the 80's hair ballads, I got a decent Alvarez 12-string. I played it a lot for maybe two-months, then it got sidelined. Since then, it has sporadically been played here and there (love it in open-G); currently, it hasn't been out of its case in 2-yrs. 10-yrs back, I was playing at church a bit, so I bought a beautiful Martin limited edition D-16TR. It sounded incredible and had the nicest neck of any acoustic I have ever played; it too got put away after the novelty wore-off (boy, did I take a bath on it on Ebay :jo). I finally admitted to myself a couple years back that I'm an electric guy - always have been, probably always will be. To me, they are just more interesting (as a related fact, I work on tube amps and swap pickups like underwear). It's so nice to know there are others out there who feel the same :BEER.
    -Darren

8. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I sold my Martin acoustic thinking that very thing - I'm all electric. 6 most later I was ready to go insane because I had no acoustic. Every now and then the acoustic bug bites me and I just gotta have one. I ended up going through a couple before getting another Martin for around $1,500. I don't use it often, but when I do I love it.

9. cram

cram Member

I LITERALLY have a dropped and broken acoustic. It's a long story (that's even longer when I tell it..) that has a not so secure wall hanger and a very determined house cleaning session...

Since it doesn't sound great anymore and my backup acoustic is not so great, I wind up playing electric mostly.

BUT - I do pick up that beater acoustic all the time. I'll just never get tired of playing an acoustic.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I've owned some nice acoustics over the years but realized a few years ago that guitars that see the light of day about 15 minutes per year (no exaggeration) just aren't worth having.

11. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

Same here.. sold my acoustic, went about 10 months.. found a Martin D-18 at GC cheap on labor day sale.. glad I got it.. even for 20 mins a week up in the TV room.

If you already have an acoustic, its paid for, you like it.. keep it.. you will eventually replace it, almost guaranteed! :phones

12. MartinC

MartinC Member

I play my acoustic a lot less than my electrics ... but I'd always want one around. I dare say I'll go through an acoustic patch or too in the next few decades.

13. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I typically write most of my music on acoustic. For whatever reason, things that I write on acoustic sound even better on electric. The inverse cannot always be said. Plus, acoustic is more of a workout for me than electric, chops-wise.

Do I need a Goodall Rosewood Std? Probably not. It's overkill for my application. Maybe I'll sell it and get something a bit more working man...

14. townsend

townsend Member

Thirty years ago, I started on acoustic. Couldn't wait to get an electric to play in a rock band. Warehoused the electric (Fender Duosonic) when I went to college because I sold my amp, and figured it would be easier to have an acoustic in a dorm room.

Continued acoustic off and on in adult life, finally getting back into electric about five years ago.

I still play acoustic a lot, sometimes more than electric (my acoustic technique is better). When I hear something I want to try to figure out, it is so easy to grab acoustic off the stand rather than turn the amp on stand by, wait for it to warm up, etc.

Haven't I read in guitar magazines that there are a good number of rock stars who actually write most of their songs on an acoustic, but perform them in electric?

I think an acoustic makes a more rounded player. Of course, if you don't use yours, no loss if you sell it.

15. morlll

morlll Member

I've got a Larrivee L09 and a Grammer G10. They get played a lot.

My Les Paul hasn't been out of it's case in a month. Niether has the Bluesbird. I'm not selling either.
    The 12 String Stella is still a POS though it sounds fine. The Johnson Reso POS needs the garbage can. I want a Dobro.
    I like my Tele also. The Strat gets played too.
    They all get played.

What I don't use very often are the amplifiers. Mostly I use the Roland Microcube.

16. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

For me, acoustic and electric are two entirely separate instruments that happen to share the same techniques. And the instrument I play is the electric guitar, not the acoustic guitar. I went more than a decade not owning an acoustic. I have one now but not because my acoustic nature was trying to break loose - just because I fell in love with that guitar. I play it like a weird electric, not as an acoustic.

If you're an electric player, don't keep a good acoustic lying around because you feel you ought to. That's just a waste of a good instrument.

17. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I've always owned an acoustic.

It's like the difference between riding a motorcycle & a nice beach cruiser ;)

Sometimes you've just gotta slow-down & enjoy the scenery...

18. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I see the point of if you don't use it sell it but I have to agree with if you sell it you'll more than likely replace it anyway.

Every player should have one around.
    I might not play mine for a while but then I'll play it a lot later on down the road.