Anyone Dump Their Smartphone For A Dumb Phone?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by John Coloccia, May 19, 2015.

1. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Sorta' sick and tired of carrying around a huge phone with a perpetually cracked screen and 10% battery. Tired of paying an obscene amount every month. Tired of the constant attention the stupid thing seems to demand. Thoroughly annoyed with how many swipes and button presses it takes to make a stupid call. I'm about ready to dump it and go back to a simple flip phone.

Anyone else do this? Did you find that the phone coverage was just as good?

2. stormtrooper

stormtrooper Member

the only thing id miss would be the map app

3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Nope, never going back. My current smart phone battery lasts for days if I treat it as "dumb" , as an example it was at 98% when I left work yesterday ar 2:30 pm, now it's 7:46 am here and it's at 92%.
    I pay $26 a month for unlimited calls, texts, MMS and more data than I use. Works for me.

4. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I've never had a smart phone. I've had an iPad for 3 years, and love it, but I have the most basic, awful phone imaginable. Sometimes I really could use something better, but I also appreciate the limitations and frugalness.

5. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

I did, last January.

The average smartphone radiates at 1.5 SAR. The lowest radiating flip phone was 0.3 SAR… That's 5x the radiation!

..Flippin' It..

6. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

Oh and…Phone coverage is..wait for it…better!

Map App? Gps

7. WoodenDuckMaker

WoodenDuckMaker Member

Just apply an extra layer of tinfoil to your tinfoil hat. Problem solved.

sausagefingers, Sloop John B and Blix like this.
  8. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

so now you've got two gadgets to worry about?

yeah, i'm in the "y'all are crazy" camp, my smartphone is the best thing ever. it's done everything from lead me to gas stations when i was lost, almost dry and panicking to strobe-tune my mandolin in the recording studio to control my band mix at shows! plus, maybe some people just don't appreciate the idea of having the sum of all human knowledge in your pocket at all times (via google) but i sure do.

i am sticking with my iphone 5s because the 6 is just too damn big, and i don't have facebook or twitter on the phone pinging me with stupid crap all day long.

Washburnmemphis and chrismac99 like this.
  10. grill

grill Member

i go wit da flo.

have an i6.

wife got a great deal on it. she has the i6 plus.

i'd like my beam me up flip phone but it don't do what my 124g i6 does.

11. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I agree. I sometimes miss the mattery life of my 3310, but in all other regards I feel that a smartphone is an improvement

12. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

I dig my smartphone. Of course, I just joined the 21st century just over a year or so ago.

I don't know about Connecticut but down here it seems to be becoming more difficult to get a flip phone. They're being phased out. Soon you won't be able to get one.

13. octatonic

octatonic Member

Battery life is fine on the latest gen phones.
    I get 2 days out of an iPhone 6 plus if I have to but I usually just put it on charge at night and it gets me through the day.

I do a lot of touring by motorcycle.
    If I got rid of the phone I'd have to replace it with something to play music, something to do gps/map functionality, something to read books, something to control my bluetooth headset, something to take photos, something to log onto internet banking with, something to get the weather report, some way of getting email and something to book hotels with.

When I go on tours the phone is the single most necessary device I have, other than the bike and my bike gear.
    Even with a backup battery and some cables/charger it takes up less room than a paper map or even my old CD walkman.

I try not to be a slave to it though- when I stop off on my travels I don't immediately reach for the phone and ignore my surroundings.

14. John Clark

John Clark Member

I also appreciate the limitations and frugalness.[​IMG]

15. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I'm gonna go back to be a dinosaur.

16. grill

grill Member

it's pretty amazing what they have now.

when we were in eastern europe my wife got a pocket wifi. (before we left) and chargers so we had juice and internet on the bus!! or anywhere!

it's way cool.

i still have my clam shell phones from yrs ago. 2 i think.

17. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I'd be happy with a dumb phone again ... I hate texting, I don't use any features other than the camera. I can see if i was really lost the GPS could be handy, but I have a stand alone GPS in the car anyway.

To the OP, you can get a plan like from Consumer Cellular for $15 bucks a month if you want ... it's only 250 minutes, or 750 for $20... and then just use wi fi for your smart features :dunno If you don't have a GSM phone, then you can try one of the other carriers for CDMA or whatever you have.

18. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I was thinking along those lines too, Tweedy. I would stick with my carrier because I can't risk loosing my number, but I'm having a very hard time figuring out what I use all the data features for when I'm not in range of wifi.

19. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I read too much on my phone to go back to a dumb phone. Also, I rarely use it as a phone. Maybe to call my mother, but I txt and read TGP, and check weather and restaurants and Facebook and Reverb and AintItCool and use the Tuner and...and...and...
    So, no.

20. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    You can usually keep your number if you switch carriers.

Get this! I was with Sprint with a dumb phone. 200 minutes a month for $36.00 a month. Switched to a smart phone with CC and am paying $15 a month for 250 minutes and $2.50 for data (even though I rarely use their data... pretty much wi fi only) So my bill with tax is like $20 a month. :dunno

The thing is, I hate trying to surf or text on a little 5" screen smart phone, I have better things to do....seriously! :waiting