• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone else blown away by the new 12.XX firmwares on the AXE?

ptgold

I know people think its hyperbole but its true. It actually is betterererer:D

To tell you the truth....its not so much that the tone has gotten better because IMO the tone has always been there. In fact, since Version 7.0 I felt like that was the epitome of tone and I needed nothing more.

However since then what has changed dramatically is the FEEL, certain amps with each firmware became just more fun to play. The tone has changed but very subtly....for the better though. Just a tiny tweak on the high end, just a little less flub, but mostly its the new Feel of the AXE thats blowing me away.

According to Fractal the newer firmware is incorporating the Preamp and Poweramp as one unit which apparently makes a big difference in feel as opposed to the seperate Pre and Poweramp style that the AXE was using before.

ejecta

Silver Supporting Member
According to Fractal the newer firmware is incorporating the Preamp and Poweramp as one unit which apparently makes a big difference in feel as opposed to the seperate Pre and Poweramp style that the AXE was using before.
That's interesting.... I've never really enjoyed the feel of a separate tube pre going into a separate tube amp. I much preferred a head.

That may explain what I've not enjoyed about the feel of the AxeFX's so far. I'll have to go over to my friend's house and try his out if/or when he upgrades.

Ringleader42

Wow that is interesting but kinda confusing. Even when running an axe into the power amp return of a head sounds bigger and feels different than a separate power amp. I wonder if this is accounted for somehow?

barhrecords

Wow that is interesting but kinda confusing. Even when running an axe into the power amp return of a head sounds bigger and feels different than a separate power amp. I wonder if this is accounted for somehow?
This latest, 12.04 public beta, has a lot more going on than the preamp feature mentioned in this thread.

But the preamp feature mentioned here is where the virtual preamp voltage is tied to the virtual power amp such that the preamp voltage sags when the power amp sags. This is what combo's and heads do.

It's all in the box but adjustable.

So its kind of independent of the external power amp you are using although you can tweak its settings in the box.

Here we go.......
The way I see it, is Firmware upgrades are just like new boutique amp models coming out over in the amp forum.

Everyone loves the amps and the amp lineup of "X" amp maker, but when a new one comes out, a bunch of players buy them and write reviews and talk about how good/bad they are.

I know your comment is in jest and isn't that serious, but this is the gear forum and Firmware discussions are just as important of a subject as getting a new model amp from a new builder... IMO.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Any direct LINK?
I wasn't going to upgrade until the production version came out but I have a week plus until next gig, might as well check it out. You can change tube type too, eh?

Scott Peterson

TGP Co-Founder and Administrator
Staff member
I completely changed my approach to it all dialing in this specific beta firmware; this is again, another push forward. People get irritated, mostly irrationally when owners of something praise a version when they've praised older versions. I find that sort of funny; because it should not bother the non-owners too much when someone's having fun and liking their gear.

Firmware and developing it for Fractal is like an obsessive and cutting edge thrill ride for the owners that stay up on it. He's been doing this since the beginning; he's still doing it. You read about people worrying a new version of the Axe-FX will come out... and Cliff's still pushing the II platform development at a rate that staggers. At least I chuckle at it when I read people worried about an Axe-FX III.

I freaking love it; his almost insane push forward is unbelieveable. He has always been this dedicated to pushing his hardware platform with firmware development. He has always done this. Own an Axe-FX II? You benefit. Don't own one? He's proved that modeling gear can work in the highest echelons of professional musicians. Before the first Axe-FX ever hit, you had Zenterra and Vetta. Now? A whole slew of pro level and now filtered down to consumer level products that are incredible.

What's lost sometimes in the 'he's just reacting to...' is that he's always done this before anything else launched. It has never wavered. He charges owners NOTHING for updated firmware and continued development - including new amps, effects, cabs and capabilities. There's no monetary benefit to Fractal to doing this for existing owners... yet he keeps doing it. Like a man possessed.

I'm waiting till this is release and he finalizes what he's doing under the hood before I do anything posting wise in terms of specific suggestions and clips. I think he's got a massive tiger now cornered with this - he's been working the feel/feedback/interplay through the power amp modeling for especially the past year now and every leap is a real leap. It was good to start; it's just getting crazy now.

What I like is that he's 'improving' something that didn't need improving. To me, IMHO he's making direct-to-FOH more viable, easier to work with and inspiring to play with. That's, IMHO, the biggest payoff TO the whole industry. It's opened an entire new world and spawned companies and new product development.

This is really fun stuff. And he's not stopping any time soon.

LqdSndDist

Isn't there an option in the advanced amp menu to select if you want a combo or a separate preamp/poweramp for a given amp model ?

Also rather cool update is you can now select power amp tubes (though much like real life, it doesn't make that drastic of change in tone) so you can do things like have a JCM800 with KT88's if you want

Certainly cool how Cliff and Co don't seem to just relax and let the money roll in, instead they seem to be spending every waking hour (evidenced from his post on the forum) improving things, getting user feedback etc.

Some companies might roll out an update once every few years (Line6....) while Cliff will stay up til 3am on a Saturday night just to improve or fix something that was mentioned in the forum at 10am that morning.

Rather unique in this industry and it goes a long ways to making me feel the rather large pricetag on my Axe was well worth it, long after the original sale

Makes me feel kind of like a rock star, being able to ask questions directly to the designer, having him working so hard to improve a product for me (and other owners of course)

I feel like Steve Vai maybe would be getting send improvments to try each and each and every week, personal email of the programer etc, but I'm of course not Vai, yet I feel like I'm a part of the development process just the same, and I'm a nobody who didn't do anything more than buy an Axe and log onto a forum

...making me feel the rather large pricetag on my Axe was well worth it, long after the original sale
Though I agree with your post... I would honestly argue the Axe-Fx is rather low-cost. Especially when you consider the cost of a typical Boutique amp or Custom shop guitar.

LqdSndDist

Though I agree with your post... I would honestly argue the Axe-Fx is rather low-cost. Especially when you consider the cost of a typical Boutique amp or Custom shop guitar.

For sure, sell a couple of pedals, like my CE-1, which I think the Axe models quite nicely and I've covered a quarter of the cost

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
The effects alone cover the cost. Try and arrange a pedal board to cover the quality and variety of effects and see how much it costs you. Heck, you could sell such a collection used and get the cost of the unit easily.

Ringleader42

IMHO, the continuous FW updates tend to fall more into the "If I keep updating this thing, I'll eventually get you to buy one" category instead of the "We love you so we're giving you lifetime updates for FREE!" category.

Don't get me wrong I admire that the axe keeps getting better. I will probably end up buying one again at some point. But you gotta see that even though the FW updates are free, it's not like they are not generating new sales through all of the free advertising and gushing that happens when one is released.

AZG

I really like the newest beta. Especially when you mess around a little with the MV and LF Res. It's amazing a product this good keeps better. Not sure how they do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fractal Audio

IMHO, the continuous FW updates tend to fall more into the "If I keep updating this thing, I'll eventually get you to buy one" category instead of the "We love you so we're giving you lifetime updates for FREE!" category.
If that were true we would have waited until we have units in stock. There have been two major releases this month yet we have been sold out for the entire month.

I'm not at all surprised people think there is an ulterior motive but I do it out of pride, integrity and simple love of what I do. Not everyone is this society is solely motivated by greed.

Ringleader42

If that were true we would have waited until we have units in stock. There have been two major releases this month yet we have been sold out for the entire month.

I'm not at all surprised people think there is an ulterior motive but I do it out of pride, integrity and simple love of what I do. Not everyone is this society is solely motivated by greed.
Hook, line, and sinker! :D

So when is that Axe floor coming out man?!

pima1234

Without question. One great amp can cost more than the Axe FX. A full pedalboard will almost certainly cost more than the MFC-101. No, the Axe FX II is the best value out there.

The effects alone cover the cost. Try and arrange a pedal board to cover the quality and variety of effects and see how much it costs you. Heck, you could sell such a collection used and get the cost of the unit easily.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom