Anyone else bothered by the "Hiss" factor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nolenuttt, Mar 9, 2006.

1. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Okay, I admit, I'm probably a bit anal in this area, but I really dislike the "hiss" present in a lot af tube amps-Matchless, The Marshall 2061x Hand wired head, which are both amazing tone machines, but the hiss really bugs me-Any suggestions? Maybe switching preamp or power tubes, etc.-Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated-:jo

2. somedude

somedude Member

I play through them. Cures the hiss everytime.

3. JWR

JWR Member

I'm with ya. I've got amps I don't even use because of the noise in between songs and the way the gate has to cut when recording.

4. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

What preamp tubes are you using? Get some mil-spec NOS tubes in there if you haven't already, especially in V1.

5. ctoddrun

ctoddrun Member

I've just forced myself to learn to always change back to channel one during the parts where I am not playing.

Hiss is a drag, but its not very noticeable when playing... just the in-between times.

I guess you work with the tools you've been given and accept the nature of the beast.

(can I fit another cliche' into that last sentence?)

6. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

OK, so I'm not the only one who has this issue!

Yeah, I still play the crap out of my amps, but I do have a thing for hiss or hum...I don't like it. Maybe that's why I resisted a strat for so long (the EJ changed my mind).

When I owned a Germino Classic 45 that was the quietest amp I ever heard. Greg puts just about all carbon comps in the amp which are supposed to have a little more background noise than other resistors but this amp was dead quiet. Literally you couldn't tell it was on unless you saw the jewel light or started playing. And this was at volumes of 12:00 ~ 1:00.

My D13 is a little hissy on the click channel, but I think that's due top the higher gain 5879 tube. The normal channel is pretty quiet. Not as much as the Germino, but still very, very usable in a recording situation.

-Rich

7. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

My Matchless didn't hiss.

I don't really care either way.

8. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

9. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Use less gain?

Use better/isolated power on your amp and pedalboards?

I have a /13 with the 5879 in the gain channel. I used to think it was just noisy mostly b/c of the power source, even though I use a Furman AR-15II. Come to find out 90% of it was a PS on my pedalboard. After I fixed that problem, I was able to better isolate some pedals from others (AM Clone was causing another 5%). I replaced the 5879 and cut a tad more 3%. My Strobostomp in "TUNE" mode (mute on) causes more noise than my strat now.

With the 5879 gain channel turned up, I get a hiss now, but no buzz. It would have to be dead quiet (or using IEMs like I do) to hear it. It works in a big orchestra setting, so I have to say that is pretty quiet. Quiet enough that it isn't bothering anyone for sure!

10. dave s

dave s Member

Ok, you've comfirmed that I'm completely DEAF! My Matchless Clubman rig doesn't make any 'hissing' noise that I am aware of.

dave

11. bscepter

bscepter Member

+1 on the Decimator. I had one when I was battling hum from my P90-powered SG. It worked like a charm. I've since sold it to a forum member, as I've not got a humbucking SG!

The Decimator is built like a freaking tank, too.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There's more than one cause of hiss in an amp! Some of it comes from the guitar/cable/pedals thing and will respond to something like the decimator; some of it comes from the amp itself including preamp/tone stack/power supply. It's not very predictable: I have a Edtronics tuned 65 AC30 that you can't tell if it's on when there's nothing plugged in (or a quiet signal chain). I have a Selmer TB50 that hums and hisses like a bastard whenever you're not playing in spite of Ed's best efforts (well, short of actually rewiring the preamp). I love a quiet amp, but I can live with noise in most cases (in church, I"m using the magic AC30 because I don't want to have to gate the amp).

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

Ever stood on stage with a backline of about 6 Superleads? Frying tonight!

Seriously if you find it really objectional try and find one of Maven Peals' amps -very quiet tube amps indeed.

Best, Pete.

14. Shea

Shea Member

Metal film resistors. The higher the wattage rating, the quieter they should be.

Someone who posts here used to sell some awesome 2-watt, 1% tolerance, metal film resistors for a very reasonable price. But he doesn't sell parts any more.

Shea

15. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Yes I understand what you're talking about. And I was frustrated for a little while.

High gain amps have a hiss, some more than others. My Mesa F-30 has it, I use the Decimator (gate) when not playing. But my new Furman PF Pro-R - Made a substantial difference in reducing dirty power induced hiss, even with the gain at 1 o'clock it's not nearly as hissy.

16. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I believe too that there are several factors involved here. But I agree some amps historically just plain hiss/hum (silly thing is that some modelers actually build a hum into the circuit to get even more 'authentic')

I had some initial hiss in my rig. I replaced/added:
    Furman Power conditioner
    Upgraded wiring in my LP
    Monster cables all round.

Voila'. No more hiss. I still get some when my FX rack is enabled, but I'll live with that.

EP

17. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Just Put My Slant 6v In The Shop For Just That Reason, I Hope To Hell They Can Make That Evil Hiss Go Away. I've Bought Power Conditioners, New Tubes, New Cables, New Guitars, And New Pickups. I'm Ready To Open A Vein. I Don't Think The Carr Is Suppose To Be Noisey: Anybody Else Have One? I Just Want It To Go Away

18. enchan-ted

enchan-ted Member

I have a ftr-37 that started picking up a radio station at church rehersal tonight even plugged straight in, and just on the clean side......I'm going to have about 5 minutes to straighten it out on Sunday what's the most likely fix?

19. reaiken

reaiken Member

RFI is usually caused by bad cables, bad solder joints, long unshielded wires from the input jack to the first tube and/or ground, no "grid stopper" resistor on the grid of the first preamp tube, or no tube shields on the tubes.

First, unplug the cable to see if the RFI goes away. If so, it is likely the cable or the guitar picking it up, or lack of grid stopper resistor on the first tube.

Try pulling out the preamp tubes and putting them back in a few times - they can have corrosion that is causing rectification of RF, and the wiping action of removing/replacing the tubes can help clean them in a pinch.

If it has isolated input jacks, put a 0.01uF cap from the *ground* side of the jack directly to the chassis at the closest point, such as on a ring terminal mounted behind a switch, or a on a pot or something. This will kill RFI deader'n hell in most cases. Ceramic disks from Radio Shack will work fine, or any kind of film capacitor. Sometimes you can test this to see if it is the cause by sticking a wire or paper clip on the metal body of the guitar cable where it plug into the amp and touch it to the front panel on a bare metal spot.

If it has no grid stoppers, put a 10K-68K resistor on the grid pin of the first tube, right at the socket.

Resolder the joints on the sockets, jacks, and components in the input stage.

If it has no tube shields, add them.

Good luck!

Randall Aiken

20. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Being bothered by the hiss in a Matchless is sort of like being bothered by a supermodel hanging her panties up on the shower rod of your bathroom :D