Anyone else burned out with gigging?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by dallasblues, May 13, 2015.

1. dallasblues

dallasblues Member

Anyone else burned out with playing gigs?

Don't get me wrong. I still love music. I practice guitar daily and am still totally in love with the instrument. I enjoy home recording too! But the idea of gigging no longer appeals to me. It's been close to two years since I've done a show and I honestly don't miss it much. For the record, it's not the music or people that I dislike. There's been some very special moments shared with some very talented friends. It's the late nights, ringing ears, loading in/out, drunk people, and small pay that I don't enjoy. Am I officially old now?

2. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

No... I'm the opposite. I joined the current cover band a year ago and after the first 2-3 months we were doing 5-7 gigs a month. Start of the year some members changed and the bandleader decided 2-3 per month is good starting this month. So, now I'm half heartedly looking for something else in addition. I figure I will give it the month of May and see how I like it... so far not digging it. I'd rather play more. That's why I started the dive bar band thread, but honestly I think I should just try to find something else so someone else can handle the band leader responsibilities.

The original band I play with doesn't gig at all and just records.

3. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

I'm in the same boat. I prefer jamming with friends, writing and recording vs hauling my stuff to a bar, paying to park, suffering through the opening acts, playing 10 songs to a dwindling number of friends who can actually make it out, getting zilch because you didn't draw enough while you're sig. other has to pay $10 to get in. And to think there was a time that I'd spend weeks eagerly looking forward to playing ANY gig.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

I still love music, I just don't want to make any right now...

Had decades of great gigs and lots of fun producing/recording original stuff.

About 18 months ago, I realized that for me there probably wasn't going to be anything new/better coming down the pike, and it just wasn't fun anymore.

I've kept enough gear to play any sort of gig I may want to do in the future, but I haven't even touched a guitar since last fall.

Can't say as I miss it, which is actually pretty strange.

5. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Late nights
    Ringing ears
    Loading in/out
    Drunk people
    Small pay

Yeah, that gig does sound unappealing.

My approach was to eliminate the late nights, loud volume, painful load in/out, most of the drunk people.

Things are pretty enjoyable after that, even with small pay.

Yes, you're probably old.

6. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I get a bit burned-out from time-to-time but it's nothing a short break can't cure. Definitely don't miss the late-night, heavy load-in though. That's why I do acoustic stuff these days.

7. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I get burned from time to time. Always end up looking forward to it in the end though. helps to keep getting new songs on the list.
    I've been hosting a Jam for about 2 years now, sometimes I look forward to that more than regular gigging... just because I can jam it up, do things I 've never done before or haven't done in years...

8. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I get excited knowing that I am going out to play. We work in a band that plays anywhere from 5 jobs a month out of season, to 4-5 nights a week in season.
    I practice every morning prior to leaving for work. To me, playing at home is like only driving your car in the driveway. I love to get the toys out and work live, as that is where you can play the gear in a band setting, turn them up, and play hard.

I'm 67, and playing live makes me feel young and alive. I don't start to feel older until after the final set of the night. By then, the pain pills and caffine have started to wear off. :)

9. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I hear you on the ringing ears and late nights, loading gear, drunk people (myself included).

I played an acoustic solo gig on Friday and it was so nice not to have a numbskull bashing drums and cymbals in my ears all night. When I was done I quickly loaded everything up and was home in 30 min.

No standing around, BS'ing, busting down a huge PA, waiting to get paid, having to tell the other bandmembers to STFU so we can get on the road, etc.

10. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Hey .. be nice about my world ...nothing wrong with it ...
    Cool .... it ain't for you ... no problem.

However I have a ball, as do many, many other musicians I know ...
    For us, it certainly ain't the 'hell' you make it out to be ... :)

11. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

We play about 12 - 15 times a year, we have a busy season, weddings and Xmas parties and then down time in the spring etc. We usually have the luxury of setting up the day before and tearing down the day after. Show up on the day of the gig ready to go, and go home after. Meet for breakfast in the morning and then tear down.

Everyone has lives so it's not like we are gigging every weekend. And the money is pretty good as well.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  12. tone4days

tone4days Member

yeah, i flamed out a few years back - havent really touched a guitar except for one afternoon last summer in over 3 yrs ago ... there are aspects i miss, like the friendship with a couple of the guys ... but the late nights, lugging heavy gear in and out with a bad back, playing stale covers, etc are all to blame ... wasnt even the low pay, really

i'd wanna jam but not play out

13. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

I gigged fairly regularly for maybe the last 10 years, then scaled back considerably when I landed a nice consulting gig (can work at home on my schedule, and it pays FAR more than gigging). Just the thought now of getting back into the grind of long nights, horrible venues, playing songs I can't stand, grumpy drunk band members, being away from the family, driving 5 hrs to a 3hr gig then immediately driving back 5hrs, losing entire weekends, being on "call" constantly for surprise gigs I am expected to make, getting in trouble for leaving work early, sorry pay... The thought of all that is nauseating right now.

After I quit I subbed for my replacement with this band from time to time, around once a month, and I dreaded even that. I just turned down a spot in a new band, just can't face it any more. Playing in a cover band after a while seemed like being a trained monkey; not at all musically or financially fulfilling.

I now have a regular church gig that is very fulfilling as we can get very imaginative with arrangements. That is giving me enough playing time for now.

14. GuitarPlaynTaylor

GuitarPlaynTaylor Member

:D You got it Joe!

15. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'm not crazy about that stuff either, but gigging is too important to me to give it up.

16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I still feel the need to play out. I have a lot of gear that has been carefully chosen to support gigging and I dread playing home, by myself for no reason. I don't really hang out with my band mates (and they rotate every once in a while) but there is still some camaraderie and we have fun. I'm at the point now where cash from gigs goes into a slush fund and it's used for ancillaries (school stuff for kids, taking wife out, etc...)
    My goal is to amp that up in 2016 and possibly save to at least partially pay for a family trip to Disney. No more gear...
    I don't want to be like the people I'm surrounded by who have no real passion or desire to do, well, anything outside of work.

2-3x a month is a good clip for me (probably a little too much if you ask my wife). I could not handle the 6-8x a month schedule, even if I was able (single) and traveling more than 1 hour one way is out of the question. So because my gigs fit into that criteria and I'm able to bring home $150-250 every gig I think I'm in a very good place right now. I should be able to coast this way for quite a bit.

As I contemplate long term (my real career, family, music, goals) I see things changing quite a bit. I'd actually like to consider starting a small business, working from home again (which probably means a pay decrease), more real time with the family but actually gigging more (wedding / corporate style band?) and actually use gigging as an additional / required source of income.

17. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I'm tired of gigging without gigging, just reading the drama stories here is enough to keep me happy at home :)

18. Amplifier Owner

Amplifier Owner Member

I was burned out, took a couple years off, and now I'm looking to get back in. Use it or lose it.

A drummer I've worked with in the past retired from his day job about 5 years ago and appears to be having the time of his life playing open mics, subbing for one band, and sitting in with others when the occasion presents itself. That's kind of how I hope it works with me in a couple of years.

19. Turi

Turi Member

I gigged for like 3 years in a band and then random solo gigs for the last like 5 years.

Now I'm getting my **** together and starting up a new band that will get more gigs than ever.

I'm not burnt out.

I feel like this massive solo period has been like.. Taking a break or something.

So much less hassle solo.. But I'm ready to rock this town now (y)

20. Lephty

Lephty Member

I guess I'm lucky to be in a band that has some draw (and consequently gets paid), is more or less drama-free, and doesn't play too f'ing loud. I look forward to just about every gig I play.

But I have been burned out before too. It's all about choosing your battles...stay away from drama queen musicians, ****** drummers, and demoralizing gigs.