Anyone else buying gear because of COVID?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JELIFISH19, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

I'm torn between wanting to support my local favorites and feeling like I should conserve as much cash as possible.

As much as I'd like to help, we don't know how bad this is going to be, but I'm already reading estimates of 20pct or more unemployment. Makes the most sense for me to buy nothing but food and other essentials for awhile.

Fat tone79 and The Villano Dude like this.
  2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I work in health care-guaranteed employment until I die of COVID-19!!!! So, not really thinking about buying a lot of gear at this point, maybe just trying to play a bit more of the stuff I already own!

HERSCHEL, JJO, Hawkmoon269 and 8 others like this.
  3. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

Pretty much this.

4. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

During the past week, I was able to get a few things I’d ordered before the smaller stores shut down here, so I’ve decided to wait until we get through this and I’ll be able to support the local businesses again.

The first thing I’ll do is head over to Exile here in Vancouver and pick up a Tone Druid from Union Tube & Transistor.

Befuddled likes this.
  5. jwfran04

jwfran04 Supporting Member

It’s easily transmitted but luckily for everyone, it’s an encapsulated type virus meaning there’s a lipid coating that’s relatively easy to disrupt. Proper hand washing and alcohol based hand sanitizers (at least 60% alcohol) will take care of the virus. If this was a non-encapsulated type, we would all be in deeper trouble than we already are. Precautions are certainly warranted though, this should be taken very seriously.

6. Strife_D

Strife_D Member

Bought this compressor:
    [​IMG]
    Hope it gets here soon :)

7. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Supporting Member

Yes, I completely re-did my electric guitar pedal board. Changed out my overdrive, distortion, boost and delay. Only kept the wah... but implemented a new isolated power-supply. That's all improved now.

But the biggest change is that I've set up a simple acoustic pedal-board. Never did that before, and it's sooooo good. Never used an EQ pedal with acoustic before, and suddenly I understand what all the talk is about. IT'S ESSENTIAL... should have done it years ago. It makes a dull electrified acoustic guitar absolutely sparkle with clarity. Also, a compressor for boosting solos, finger-style or slap picking. Wow, what a great difference. Then a looper. So I've been working on solo stuff with basic looping.

Honestly, I'm at the point where I'll say every acoustic guitar performer should use a compressor > EQ > looper. Overnight it changed me from an amateurish dull thumpy sounding rig, to a professional sounding acoustic with consistency and definition. Loving it.

Stay well.

8. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

They are making that desperate move because they really need money, not because they lost their mental capacities. I would think you'd be helping them by buying.

Cossack, dshobe, Richeray and 9 others like this.
  9. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I had already declared 2020 as the year
    without buying new pedals, etc.

I was doing this, just to offset a few
    years of buying too many new things.

Little did I know, that by March 2020,
    I would be too paranoid about the state of the world,
    the ability to earn money, and contracting a virus,
    to even consider buying things like guitar pedals.

HERSCHEL and bullet6759 like this.
  10. Steve Y.

Steve Y. Member

I’m not buying anything because it doesn’t make sense to do so while my investment portfolio is in the shitter. Instead I’m taking stock of all my existing gear and taking the opportunity to sit with and really appreciate it.

misterg71, Snail, bloobeastie and 3 others like this.
  11. 4b454e

4b454e Member

Same here - me and my wife (tho we are not clinical types)
    I have even LESS time to play than before, since me, wife, and kiddo are all home and we have to manage kiddo school plus work in a totally disrupted environment

please don’t get me wrong. We are very grateful to have work. Just saying there ain’t time to play, nor explore the stuff I have.

EDIT: plus fiscal caution, plus not making people pack, ship, and other people deliver.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    HERSCHEL and Johnny Moondog like this.
  12. 4b454e

4b454e Member

I’m sure it will happen, like the jagoffs who bought up all the masks, hand sanitizer, and what-all within 250 miles, then sold it for a tidy profit.

I’m not buying gear, but I am buying music. BandCamp, ftw
    I just bought a mess of stuff and paid extra for it (double the price, round up to the next $5)
    That’s about all I can do right now.

EDIT: desks. I did buy two desks!

HERSCHEL, aynirar27 and LikeAMotherF like this.
  13. backdrifter

backdrifter Supporting Member

Glad to see someone posted this. I’ve been fighting the urge to buy a new toy. I have plenty of nice guitars to keep me occupied, but it certainly would be a good time to become acquainted with a new one. That being said, this is likely the scariest economic situation I’ve lived through. I’ve never lost a job and never thought I would, but anything is possible amid this craziness. I have a wife, three kids, and two dogs. I keep telling myself that if I can’t overcome the urge to buy something in times like this then I may have a serious problem that I need to address.

BUT - there’s an amazing guitar for sale here on the forum that’s local to me. I can’t kick the idea of making an offer, sending PayPal payment, and having the seller put it out on the porch just as I’m driving up.

Ultimately, I think I’ll be pragmatic and pass for now. But the temptation will continue to haunt me.

14. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

That's why it's complicated. Here's a hypothetical situation-

There's a piece of gear you've had your eye on for a good while, which can generally $700 in VG condition. You come across someone selling one in VG condition for $500, with the "Make an Offer" option available. Are you doing them a favor by buying it outright at $500? So that some shidheel doesn't offer them $375 and come up to $400-ish? Or are you doing them a disservice by taking advantage of their desperation and need to sell quickly and undercutting themselves?

I don't know. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with buying gear from someone who doesn't want to sell, but absolutely needs to sell it. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with paying someone much less than you know the gear is actually worth, especially if that's what they're asking for it.

As far as mental capacities? That might be up for debate. I don't know if you've been in a very desperate situation- especially when you've been in that type of situation for a long time and anxiety (and in turn, depression) builds up, you don't always make the best decisions. It could be argued that your decision making process can be compromised, especially in certain and/or particular circumstances.

But look- if both parties walk away from a deal both feeling good about it, then that's completely fine with me. And I will reiterate that there's nothing wrong with buying what someone is selling. Even if you negotiate a lower price than they initially ask- I'm not making any kind of judgment calls on other people's behavior.

For me, though? If I feel bad or even a little "dirty" after a transaction, I don't want anything to do with it. But that's just me. And I'm admittedly a *terrible* capitalist!

15. WWW

WWW Supporting Member

I just picked up a Nux Solid Studio and am having a ball buying IRs for it. I’m even thinking about buying some software.

Digital purchases for those of us who can’t keep our wallets closed!

Funny, I was just ragging on the extreme survival nuts a few weeks ago. A few weeks from now I may be begging for the hind quarter of that squirrel.

16. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

that’s probably the best guideline for it. I know when I’m negotiating a pedal, I’ll just ask the seller for a price that will make both of us happy, then gladly pay it.

and as far as the original question, I’m business as usual with buying. With the caveat that I’m not going to buy from a COVID hotspot. Selling, not so much, as I’m in the middle of one.

HERSCHEL and LikeAMotherF like this.
  17. motokev

motokev Member

Anyone else buying gear because of COVID?

nope
    been practicing....

dshobe and Riffa like this.
  18. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    earlier today was playing one of my acoustics ... had a moment and I promised it I wouldn't sell it

but I've closed all my many gear tabs for now, there won't be any new purchases for me until this crisis has passed and a strong recovery is underway

but there will be lots of picking, hours of it ....

still bookmarking things though, anticipating a better autumn ......

19. jfb44

jfb44 Member

You're foolish to think that a sanitizer with 60% alcohol will be 100% effective in disabling SARS-CoV-2.

20. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

This.
    I’m catching up on some long-standing guitar maintenance (stained one rosewood, one pao ferro and one laurel fretboard, and replacing pickups on three guitars), and will be reorganizing & (some) purging in my computer and music rooms.
    Taking a breather and appreciating what I have is nice.