anyone else clip volume/tone pots out...or am I weird?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Boogs, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Boogs

Boogs Member

I have found that on humbucker guitars, since I have never played around with volume and tone pots while playing, that I always end up clipping them out of the circuit. On the only guitar I have that has both a single and a bucker, sure enough the bucker goes straight from p/u to output (well, it's grounded).

I find that they live very comfortably with my Tele and ASAT Classic after doing this, and I can switch back and forth with no adjustment to the amp...I just make sure the tone is rolled down a hair on the single-coil guitars. Of course, pickup selection makes this work as well...

Oh yeah, and most importantly I love the sound of buckers after clipping the controls out. My Heritage H535 with it's '59s straight to output is a joy to behold. :)

So, anyone else do this?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

1 meg pots would give you the same sound. (with the ability to, i don't know, turn down between songs?)

3. hjcooper

hjcooper Member

I recently disconnected the tone pots from my guitars. I did it on one first and liked the results so then did all the rest. Different strokes for different folks.

You're in good company. There's a vid on youtube of Robben Ford talking about his gear. He says his guitar has the volume and tone pots disconnected. He uses a volume pedal instead.

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Tone pots maybe, volume pots no.

5. rcl

rcl Member

I couldn't get by without them. I control the gain from the guitar and switch from neck to bridge that are always at different volumes. I also love the tone range I get from the RS kit. One volume pedal wouldnt do it. My amp only has three knobs, and once set I dont touch those. The pedals in between dont get touched after they are set either(except buddawah). Everything happens on the guitar, tone tweaks, gain level, volume swells, whatever. I used to do it the other way, when I used the JVM and made the channel volumes do that for me. I feel more connected to the guitar doing it the old school way. I also love the different tones you get at different volumes.

6. in a little row

in a little row Member

Thom yorke of radiohead has several teles wired in this fashion...just volume pots...personally i prefer the tone controls...

j

7. Boogs

Boogs Member

FWIW, I remember 1 Meg pots still darkening the sound somewhat. Turning down between songs might come into play if I start gigging...of course, single coils create more need for this, but even humbuckers "hum" a little.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else have experience with clipping out controls?

8. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Good pickups with good pots with good PIO caps lets you shape your tone. I hate listening to guitarists who sound monotonous.

9. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

you could always put in a switch to bypass the vol and tone, then if you want to use them switch them back in. Unless of course if you think that the switch might be a tone sucker!

10. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

make that switch a 3 way toggle and you add in the morello kill switch

11. gtr777

gtr777 Member

I have the tone pots diconneected in most of my guitars for two reason. One I like the sound better, two for some reason I guess it's the way I strum I end up turning them down by accident while I'm playing.

12. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Depends on the guitar. Some are so bright that they need a tone contol.