Anyone Else Deal With Insomnia?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by gkoelling, Apr 25, 2015.

1. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

For the past 7 years sleep has been a rare luxury for me. I average 2-5 hours a night with an occasional 8-9 hour night. The 8-9 hour night is invariably followed by several nights of misery.

I had an unusual run of several nights good sleep until a few nights ago. At this point I've been awake since 9am yesterday morning and won't sleep until at least 9pm tonight.

I was on sleeping pills until several months ago when I could no longer handle the side effects. I quit only to discover I was physically addicted. My doctor wanted to give me something else but all that stuff is addictive so I declined.

I guess what this is, is a sleep deprived rant. Sorry, this does effect my posts here at times. I'm starting to get an idea of what life was like for Mike Bloomfield, now if I could only play that well.

If you deal with this, have you found anything that is not addictive? If so, what?

Thanks

2. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

It might be beneficial to discontinue all medication and start with a clean slate, so to speak. Speak with your doctor and/or medical professionals on the best and safest way to accomplish this.

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Unfortunately, that would cause issues that would take considerable time to recover from.

I take prescription anti-inflammatories and hydrocodone for arthritis, high blood pressure meds and OTC omeprazole for reflux. The pain in my hands and loss of use is fairly rapid and the recovery is generally far longer than the time off the pills. Buttoning a shirt can take several minutes with frequent breaks even on the pills.

Thanks, though, I appreciate it.

4. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

More exercise.
    I don't know what your day to day is like with your arthritis, but if you aren't already into a routine, start small and get into a regular fitness program. Low impact stuff.
    It'll work wonders for your overall, and you should be able to drop the blood pressure and probably the reflux meds in less than a years time.
    I have a supreme disdain for the medical industry and they prescribe meds rather than fix most problems.
    Edit: and you should start sleeping better too.

5. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

I'm a sleep mess. I wake up to any sound. The temperature has to be perfect. If I don't go to sleep when I feel sleepy it will never happen. My body seems more energized at night. It's a mess.

6. Fred132

Fred132 Member

I suffer from this as well.

My wife is trying to get me to go to a particular sleep doc.

7. InkStained

InkStained Member

It's a problem for me as well. I find it impossible to sleep when the sun is up under any conditions, even if I'm fatigued from being unable to sleep the night before. And then, yes, the sun going down seems to energize me.

And those are under normal conditions. If I'm worried about something, forget it.

8. s2y

s2y Member

Long time insomniac here. The only med I use these days is melatonin with a little Sonata if I can't fall asleep or if I have to work overnights .

The key for me has been to avoid too much caffeine during the day and not drink too much booze at night. I also have to go to bed no later than 11pm and get out of bed no later than 8am on any given day. I stick to my routine and generally do pretty well.

9. macmeda

macmeda Silver Supporting Member

I had adrenal fatigue from burning the candle at both ends and got to a point where I didn't sleep for two weeks. I started calcium and magnesium supliments and an herbal product called Night Gain
    http://naturahealthproducts.com/night-gain.html
    The night gain is amazing. Doesn't just LET you sleep it helps your body balance itself out.

10. Mars Rover

Mars Rover Member

I went through it for a year or two but have not had the problem for a few years now. It can be miserable. In my case, I knew the causes even early on. Racing thoughts - not all of them worrying, just a big mixture of stuff. Also being over-tired, the harder I tried to sleep, the less I slept. I can't say for sure how I got past it or cured but have a couple of ideas. Around that time, I had some pretty severe reality checks that made me re-evaluate my priorities and realize what's important in life. Also, I've always read books in bed but now I think about nothing but the story I'm reading and usually I can drop off after a chapter or two just by becoming eyeball-tired.

11. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

You may already do this, but I found a regular workout at the gym in the morning helps. I still occasionally get a sleepless night, but not too often!

12. macmeda

macmeda Silver Supporting Member

If you want to get off the reflux meds try a spoonful Organic Unfiltered apple Cider twice a day
    And naturally fermented sauerkraut. Bubbies is a good brand you can get at grocerys stores.
    Got my dad off a 20yr Prilosec addition in a few days.

13. aroman

aroman Member

What Rx did you try ?
    Gaba receptor- Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata, Benzodiazepines(Temazepam, Halcion).
    Anti-Histamine/Antidepressant/Antipsychotic- Trazodone, Doxepin, Elavil, Mirtazapine, Seroquel, OTC sleep aids.
    Melatonin- Rozerem. OTC Melatonin.
    Orexin antagonist- Belsomra.

Try all sleep hygiene principles. If nothing works consult with your Doctor.
    One of the above Rx could help.

14. FFTT

FFTT Member

These days, I'm lucky to get in 2-3 hours uninterrupted.

15. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

are you going through hydrocodone withdrawal at night? if you are accustomed to a dose regularly during the day, you'll want that dose at nighttime too. i'm sure you're probably aware but thought i'd mention it.

16. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Likely all of the thimerosal in our bodies has damaged our pineal glands.

17. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Hydrocodone makes me super relaxed AND unable to sleep. Weird, irritating paradox.

18. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

I deal with it from time to time and it pretty much has to do with work stress. I've become very good at compartmentalizing my life, but once in a while after a few hours sleep, the doors come down and I wake up thinking about work. What I've found is that if I have a majorly stressful work event the next day not to have anything to drink that night, read in bed for an hour before turning the lights out, and run an old box fan to provide some white noise so nothing disturbs me.

It's a horrible feeling to toss and turn for hours so I also just give in and get up after an hour of lying awake. I read a book, play a little guitar, something generally relaxing for an hour, and have pretty good results in getting back to sleep.

19. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

-- No screen time for at least a half-hour before bed. No TV, no computers, no smart phone.

-- Try to keep a regular schedule of going to bed and getting up. If you have insomnia, get out of bed until you're drowsy. Don't fight your pillow. Remind your body that bed is for sleeping.

-- Read something dull. If I can't sleep, I get a slice of toast (carbos are good for this), maybe a snifter of brandy, and a volume of the encyclopedia and sit in the dimly lit living room and read about something obscure until i get so bored my eyes are closing. My wife says that Advil is also good for unwinding the body, so if I've really got it bad I'll knock back the Advil with brandy. Is that good for you? I dunno. But it works for me.

-- No caffeine after 12 noon.

20. pkevinb

pkevinb Member

I take Trazodone nightly. Haven't slept without medication for about 20 years.