Anyone else digging the new retro-wreck amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by digital jams, Aug 9, 2010.

1. socalscott

socalscott Member

Hey Lance,
    Freakin' cool. There are some that have hoped for, but never expected a new SS design to come out. There are many more, considering the age of digital modeling, that didn't even consider SS analog to be an option.

If indeed this amp gets high marks for tone and build quality. Lets all hope for a lasting and profitable future for the Retro-Wreck.

So yeah, props to Lance and ? for venturing off into SS. So brave, these boys. lol

Props are due. This is a rare occasion. Likely a 'bad ass SS amp' added to a very thin list.

2. wichita

wichita Member

3. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

A good sounding SS amp inspires bickering... why? It will be a relief to not deal with tubes. I was saving pennies for an 11r but now I'm waiting to see what people have to say about the feel of the RW.

4. Moat

Moat Member

Hey Lance - will this amp have a good deal of (mostly) clean headroom? I'd be most interested in using it as a clean pedal platform, for gigs of all venue sizes.

Absolutely love the cleaner Strat neck pickup tones - fat & rich with a beautiful cutting steely treble that's usually hard to find with SS.

Thanks.

5. wichita

wichita Member

Bob
    It does have a 100 watts of headroom.
    I believe you could use it as a pedal platform.
    Our next offering will be a 200 watt Steel String Singer style amp that would be a perfect pedal platform and it will have reverb.

6. Moat

Moat Member

Sweet - lookin' forward to hearing it. More watts are always welcome when mixing clean-ish tones with loud gigs! Thanks.

7. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

How 'bout a 1x12 combo with reverb? And somewhat affordable? A guy can dream.

8. p.snail

p.snail Member

9. wichita

wichita Member

The clips you heard there were mic'd but I will tell you that the RC sounds great direct with no speaker.
    There is a response control on the back of the amp that simulates the cabinet so you really don't need the speaker to get a great tone.
    I will demo that this week.
    With the effects loop you can run any time based effects in the loop and then just use monitors or in ears to monitor yourself.
    Could be a perfect church amp especially if you enjoy getting all of your clean through gain tones with just your volume knob on the guitar.

10. p.snail

p.snail Member

That's awesome!! It'd be nice to get back more of the amp feel when we play. I have tonelab now, and its decent, but this sounds WAAAAYYYY better from what I've heard. I'd love to hear what it sounds like direct. I might have to figure out how to get santa to put one under the christmas tree....lol

11. Sikor

Sikor Member

You mean, it's working without a speaker load? Did I get it correctly?
    It would make it really great church amp :aok
    Looking forward to Your new demo!

12. THebert

THebert Member

Sounds great, Lance. Thanks-

13. Apeman

Apeman Member

I foresee a great future for this amp :) Sounds really good, both in terms of tone and features :aok

14. rewog

rewog Member

I agree.. a Wreck is a Wreck.. this isn't.

Great sounding amp though.. looking forward to it being released.

15. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

killer tone, combo? 1x12? please!!!!!!!

16. teemuk

teemuk Member

I dunno... Personally I merely find it similar to terms such as "tweed", "plexi", "recto", "blackface / panel" or "D-style".

17. wichita

wichita Member

Yeah thanks Teemuk..
    It is what it is and we are not inferring anything really besides the amp being a nod to that sort of feel.

18. p.snail

p.snail Member

will the dumble version be SS as well? With cab sim output so you won't need a guitar cabinet to use it? 2 channel right?

I'm kind of geeked about the possibilities of these amps. Can you say Bonamassa tone for less than 2k..lol...just kidding, but a guy can dream right?

19. wichita

wichita Member

Yeah the D style will be solid state as well.
    Should be fun.
    L

20. hasserl

hasserl Member

I really liked the video in the OP, but in this clip the tone is pretty bad. It's got some hair on the high end in both the distorted and clean tones that I found grating. A lack of fullness and warmth (listening w/ headphones, not comp speakers).

I love the idea, I'm not a ss bigot, so I am very interested. Looking forward to more clips/vids though. That one, uggghh, got a shiver up my spine. (awesome player though Lance, digging the music, just not the tone)