Anyone else digging the TC Sentry?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Frank67, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Frank67

Frank67 Member

I recently got into Strats, Tube-Drivers and Big Muffs - great choice for tone, bad news for a lot of noise at higher gain settings. I remembered that I had a ISP decimator G-String laying around that I tried and for whatever reason, it did absolutely nothing.

After scratching my head for a while and getting *really* sick and tired of the noise, I decided to buy a TC electronics Sentry. I put the sentry after my drives and before modulation, delay and reverb. The initial results were good, but like any noise gate it would swallow the tail of fading out notes which is annoying. Then I read the manual and connected it such that my drive pedals are in the loop of the Sentry and the guitar goes straight through - voila, total silence, nicely decaying notes. Any of the algorithms of the Sentry works like a charm and now I am enjoying my Muffs and Tube Drivers even more.

Anyone else has good or bad experience with that pedal?

Mosher Zone, Not Orange and david(j) like this.
  2. JVJ

JVJ Member

Glad to hear it works as advertised. I have been thinking about picking one of these up for a long time. I'm getting a horrible amount of noise in our apartment.

Frank67 likes this.
  3. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

nice to hear a good report on this pedal. i had an ISP decimator g string that went on the fritz a short while ago, and i have no desire to break the bank on a new noise gate. the Sentry caught my eye.

thanks for the report.

Frank67 likes this.
  4. cowbellfever

cowbellfever Member

I gig with the Sentry on my pedal board weekly in a bar cover band. Its the first pedal in the effects loop of my Marshall, I set it and forget it, keeps the rig silent when the band plays a sharp stop mid-song - no hiss or hum.
    This pedal replaced my Boss Noise Suppressor and MXR Smart gate before.

Mosher Zone and Frank67 like this.
  5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

ISP decimator G String II also gives you the loop for your noisy stuff.

6. juri

juri Member

I hated it, could not return it fast enough. I could hear it cut out way too obvious and the UI to tweak it was horrible. Maybe with the updated UI it’s easier to use now.

7. TimmyPage

TimmyPage Member

Juri's is the first negative review I've ever heard of it, which probably says something.

I don't have one (the only noise gate Ive ever used is built into my Horizon Devices Precision drive) but I have some friends who play metal and have had it on their boards at all times for years so it's certainly working for them.

8. danieloux

danieloux Member

I love mine , it replaced my trusty old Boss Ns-2 that I still like but got the Sentry as a present so obviously I compared them and then the NS-2 went on Reverb!

Sentry just works for me before or after overdrives or using hi gain amps , can't recommend it enough!

Mosher Zone and Frank67 like this.
  9. Frank67

Frank67 Member

I guess we all would rather not have a noise gate if we can do without. But before the noise drives me crazy, I will use on and at least IMHO, the Sentry worked really well - especially given the price tag. My ISP, that for whatever reason wasn‘t working, was almost three times the price and, at least from memory, the performance of the pedals was similar but the Sentry lets you tweak more. I find the Threshold, Damp and Decay layout quite easy to use.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

10. danieloux

danieloux Member

You should try hooking up the sentry to a computer or similar device and make a toneprint tailored exactly for your rig when I finally got the time to do that it I couldn't believe the difference it made .

That is what really sets it apart from the other noise gate pedals IMO!

11. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

I love it myself. Great value for the price given the features. Granted there are other pedals have that have those features but not at that price. :aok

12. Mosher Zone

Mosher Zone Member

Was just warching gate vids on YouTube, I'd never seen this one before but it seemed the best out of all of them, I used the NS-2 for years but it was made redundant when a preamp I started using had its own gate which was probably better but I'm defo interested in this, the Tone Print function looks real cool

13. iGouger

iGouger Supporting Member

I did love my Sentry, but I replaced it with a Silencer... The Silencer works better with my rig.

14. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Having very good luck with the Sentry after pedals like the Friedman BE-OD Deluxe, REVV G3, Dracary's, SUF Civil War Fuzz but before delays and reverbs so that if you mute the strings with your palm and the Sentry kicks in, the notes are still ringing from the delay and reverb without any cut off.

15. smokehouse4444

smokehouse4444 Supporting Member

Interesting write up. I've had a Sentry for quite awhile and have really liked it. I initially put it at the very end of my BigRig stay at home pedalboard, but quickly realized that didn't work with the delay and reverb, so I placed it before them, and after everything else. It is simple to use, and works great

BUT...I'm going to have to try putting the all of the dirt part of chain within it's loops and check that out.

16. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

People still liking these?

17. Telejester

Telejester Member

Love my sentry, works a treat

18. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

I actually have one I'm about to put on Craigslist. PM me if interested.

19. desire machine

desire machine Member

I had gotten one and it stopped working after 2nd day. Didn't really get a chance to use it. Ended up going with Zuul instead.

TC Electronics have crap quality. If you read reviews online you find plenty of stories of their pedals' fancy software randomly become ****ed and the pedal turn into a paper weight.

20. Baskervils

Baskervils Member