Anyone else dislike Orange amps ?

Lullabies

I have tried and tried to get along with these amps but with pedals I either sound too muddy or too fizzy and harsh...Anyone else not like Oranges ?

I have used/owned

TH100
Tiny Terror
Dark Terror
AD30HTC
Rockerverb 50 mkii
OR15

fitterhappier

I had a TH30 for nearly a year. Did the fuzzy doom thing very well but was missing that top-end articulation that I need. I'm more of a JCM guy anyways. Glad I owned one but I'm not sure I would get one again.

Lullabies

That is A LOT of Oranges to own for a guy who doesn't like Orange. Guess it can't be said you didn't give them a chance!
I did not own all of them. Some I used at the rehearsal studio I rehearse at or I rented some.

IM4Tone

Checked them out and determined they didn't fit my preferred music genres. I don't care much for high-gain amps in general.

rotlung

Nope, not me. They don't take overdrives well and can be weird about certain pickups, but I haven't found any amplifier that's fit my guitars and style of music better. Oranges all have a signature sound that fits telecastes like a glove for more new school rock. I think they sound terrible with most humbuckers though.

Lullabies

Nope, not me. They don't take overdrives well and can be weird about certain pickups, but I haven't found any amplifier that's fit my guitars and style of music better. Oranges all have a signature sound that fits telecastes like a glove for more new school rock. I think they sound terrible with most humbuckers though.
Huh ... maybe thats my issue with them. I use mostly humbuckers

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Rockerverb combo for a few years. I liked it at first, but after a while the tone of the "hair" just got on my nerves. The tone had a lower-mid frequency resonance that I just couldn't take after a while.

jdel77

Vintage 70's Oranges are just walls and waves of clean full frequency sound pressure hitting you smack between the eyes.
The only similarity the new Oranges have is the cabinet/head shell.
FWIW I don't mind the doomy high gain modern Orange sound.
However it couldn't be further from the old Orange amps, which are more like Hiwatt or Sound City.

jimmyohio75

Huh? Try plugging a Les Paul with 57 classics into a Rocker 30 or Dual Terror. PURE CRUNCH CITY!!! They sound glorious with humbuckers. Unless you're trying to play squeaky clean or country. Other than that Orange amps and humbuckers are like Peanut Butter and Jelly IMO.

ifailedshapes

Silver Supporting Member
A few years back I played through a Rockerverb combo at Wild West Guitars in Riverside and LOVED it. That's really my only experience, aside from a Tiny Terror that some friends of mine were using. They were just running it clean, though.

Iceman63

I have a Dual Terror, the only Orange I've tried. I love it. Yes, it's a little loose. But works for most of my applications. I think it has a nice depth to the tone. If I need to tighten up my sound or for singing solos, I use an overdrive set up as a clean boost...works great for me.

Sifl

Wasn't fond of the Dual Terror I had. But the OR15 I currently own is awesome.

wcfields

I've played a RV50 and a Tiny Terror and liked them both quite a bit....now I just use these amps in my Axe!

iggs

Played them at the rehearsal studio we jam at and didn't like them. Fuzzy, sludgy and loose ... Believe they were the TH100 and new rockaverb ones.

The other guitar player in the band loves them so I guess it's all a matter of taste.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Guess not every amp is for everybody, but for me, Orange is on top of the list, I own two Orange amps and they sing for me. One of the best sounding amps out there...